Center mass shooting: maximizing your shooting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by battlegoose, Jan 17, 2015.

1. battlegoose

I have been playing this game and other shooters for almost 20 years. The biggest lesson I've learned in that time is that most of the population will never be able to get to the "I only make headshots" level of gameplay. There is that top 5% of all players that can consistently get high headshot ratings and maintain 27-30% accuracy ratings with automatic weapons. They are the elite and tend to live above all other players in almost every game. They also tend to be the part of the population with equipment purposed in high level gaming (higher end monitors, gaming keyboards and mice, the 16-20 inch mouchpads, etc.).

Then there is you, the average player. You wish you could do this but never seem to manage to get those headshots and because of this your performance suffers because you miss too many shots. While you may never get to that elite level of gaming, it doesn't mean you can't maximize your performance and still come out much better than you currently are.

All you have to do is to set your target a little lower (pun incoming). I mean that both literally and figuratively. You can easily get in the top 25% of gamers by simply shooting for the chest. There is a reason real world weapons training teaches you to shoot for center of the chest and not the head. While the heart might be 1/5 the size of your head, unlike shooting for the head, you still do a lot of damage if you miss. With the head it's an all or nothing shot. With a chest shot, you miss the heart, you still do a lot of damage to the surrounding chest cavity.

This very well applies to games as well. While you may not get that 2x headshot multiplier, you can still get the whole 1x chest mutliplier (which is better than hitting nothing when you miss the head).

I am far from the top elite but I do maintain an infantry KDR of approximately 2. Is it amazing? No. Is it better than 75% of the population? Yes.

Shoot 5-8 round bursts, and shoot for center mass. Your performance will rise above average and you'll notice you are killing a lot more. It may sound like common sense, that's because it is. Don't shoot to be the top level of the headshotting elite, just aim to be in the top 10-20% and you can make it with chest shooting.

P.S. Don't use the regular ironsights on any of the guns. Get a freakin' scope. The regular ironsights on all the guns suck really badly, as they do in almost all games.
    • Up x 5
  2. Badname3073

That's a great tutorial, thanks man
  3. breeje

when shooting an auto rifle i start at the chest and let it kick up to the head
    when my scope reached the head then i stop my burst to start over from the chest
    you can see this as the next level of what battlegoose said
    the trick here is to not wanting to control the weapon only correct sideways

i do agree here but some weapons do great with iron sights, like the auto scout and the NS-7 PDW
  4. Demigan

Here's my suggestion:
    Aim just below the shoulders, and keep your weapon around there. It's a step up from Breeje I think. Shots will hit the chest, but you'll have a good chance of hitting the head, giving you a better chance to win regular fights without losing simply because your aim isn't good.

Here's another suggestion: compensate lack of aim with outmaneuvering your target. I've killed many people who were better than me simply by not being where they expect me to be. Don't walk in straight lines to your objective, everybody else does that and they are very easy targets. Look at where your enemy comes from (spawnroom/sunderer) and where they need to go (the nearest battle, points, generators, strategic places to hold etc). See if you can catch them in between those places, or try to set yourself up slightly different than the enemy expects. Sit in the building just outside the point rather than on the point itself for instance, or even hide in the bushes near the entrance and attack when they focus on the inside of the point rather then their flank. Just being able to get the first few shots in will help you against anyone, even people who are much better than you.
  5. battlegoose

That's what I do but again, it's a lot harder to consistently do compared to just aiming for the center of the model.

More importantly, if you're shooting a dumbfire rocket, and aim for the upper body, you'll miss unless the guy is 30m or further because the scope is zeroed for like 25m (maybe it's further, haven't ever tested it).

The point of this, however, is not how to go up to the next level, but just to get to a place where you can consistently shoot really well. The problem with trying to worry about headshots is that the netcode is so bad right now, that unless you have amazing accuracy, you're likely to get non-reg'd shots that are landing. However, with chest shooting, you can get a 25-30% accuracy and take a guy out ALMOST as fast as headshots but don't have to worry about the hitreg as much.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stromberg

The chest area is much bigger, more than two times, compared to the head (also chest doesn't flinch and warp around). so looking at it staistically you would be better off with 1x multiplier on a big target han 2x multiplier on a very small tartget. but! there's such thing as too big. if the enemy is very close it doesn't make sense to aim for the chest as the head is a rather easy target at this point. my general rule is: aim for the head unless it's smaller than 5mm.
  7. repairtool6

I think OP has a point in this. For many new and average players it might be better to focus on avoiding leg-shots than actually scoring headshots. Just put bullets in the middle of the enemy. Work hard on eliminating legshots in the beginning. Start with that.
  8. Milspec

well, except that you will lose to someone who is waving the sights across your head / neck region. Case in point, as an HA, I saw a chance to ambush someone coming through a doorway and set up for it - got cover, weapon up and ADS, waiting for him. He came through the door, we fired, I hit all shots in the chest (LMG CARV) and died almost instantly to his SMG headshots, only taking his shield down. SMG or carbine headshots > everything else, due to lag + 2.1 headshot multiplier + completely unrealistic weapon balance.

So hitting all your shots in the center of mass with a heavy infantry weapon < someone who is using a light infantry weapon, aiming for the head, and hitting any more than half of their shots. The 2.1 headshot multiplier will hand them the victory.

Addendum about weapon balance:

What I mean by unrealistic weapon balance is that SMGs IRL are meant to be very, very short range weapons. Winning a gunfight in a small room kind of range. Even though they use low-power pistol bullets, their recoil is insane because of their pistol-length barrel.

By contrast, long weapons such as carbines and LMGs use a round with multiple times the power of a pistol round, but have several times the barrel length (and weight) of an SMG and a long stock to increase your arms' leverage against recoil. This makes them much higher powered, yet far more controllable.

But in PS2, an LMG is barely higher-powered than an SMG / carbine, and also has more recoil, making it more difficult to keep your shots on target. Since the headshot multiplier is so high, within an SMG or carbine's range, the lesser weapon can easily win against the supposedly better one, just by scoring a couple of headshots to bump up the damage.
  9. battlegoose

Did you look at his stats page? I'd bet 2-1 he's got well above average stats. You rarely see HA's with SMG's. The ones that do have them have really high performance numbers (you have to to use them effectively as an HA).

Remember, I said AVERAGE. I didn't say you'd beat everyone, just that you'd become significantly better. Of course you'll still get stomped by the elite players but you would have anyway.
  10. Iridar51

Good point that needs to be repeated once in a while.
  11. Cz4rMike

HardWare is overrated. They are elite players who play with low resolution and Microsoft mouses...

The average player never seems to manage headshots is because he doesn't wanna learn. How many of average players go to VR and specifically learn to control recoil to get headshots? Or take time to make their sensitivity much lower? One can be much much better and closer to the "elite" by just giving 5-10 minutes before going Live for VR test range shooting, trying out bursts and aiming for the head at different distances.

Shooting for the chest is a decent tip, but it's only a start and is not nearly efficient as hitting some headshots in the process.
    • Up x 1
  12. Milspec

Actually, he wasn't an HA. He was a light class of some type with an NS gun. After that, I started looking at getting an SMG for my HA, because why not? If a light class can ownzor an ambushing HA, a HA will doubtless do even better with one.

Also, a main point I am making is that you don't have to be elite in order to headshot with a light arms weapon, because of the combination of unusually controllable light weapons and the huge headshot multiplier. To put it plainly, PS2 is heavily biased towards headshotting with light weapons.
  13. Corporate Thug

Most people just won't care to be elite in a video game. Sort of like work in something that for most of us is supposed to represent the exact opposite of work. Spending a ton of money on a gaming rig is also something most of us aren't willing to do, and if you think it doesn't matter all that much then you are wrong. Watch the twitch streams of good players and see how silky smooth their frames are and compare them to yours if you play on an average or low end PC, hell I met this one guy who just couldn't improve past a certain point because he was on a laptop playing PS2. It's much easier to make shots when your frames are good, I'm quite sure many people have gotten much better at this game since OMFG.

As far as aiming for the head goes, I don't have a set technique, it's more on the fly such as if a target is standing still then I will aim for the head and if he moves too erratically then I will adjust and finish him off with chest shots. Lots of times I will also have to start at the chest for people moving quickly and if they slow down to fire back, I can finish them off with headshots. I don't have much space for my mouse, like 4" squared so I do enjoy having higher mouse sensitivity because of it and this works for me.
  14. battlegoose

Usually you die to an SMG not because he out aimed you but rather due to the fact that he got the drop on you.

To be honest, I get like 50% more headshots with my LMG's than I do with my SMG's. They're simply not as controllable as an LMG.
  15. Milspec

Welp, in playing from BR1-BR21 with no attachments other than optics, that was not my experience, so I thought I'd recount the impressions I collected about how shooty works out in this game.
  16. Reclaimer77

Has nothing to do with the weapon. You laid an ambush for him, but forgot about client-side latency. The player rounding the corner, the player on the move, always has the advantage in this game. Because by the time you see him round the corner, he's already sprayed bullets in your face before he appeared on your screen.