LA dual wielding...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ComradeHavoc, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Taemien

I've got to play devil's advocate with this. I think the idea of holding a pistol in each hand is cool. But we have to ask.. why?

First of all, the LA is an infantry class that wields the Carbine, SMG, and Shotgun. So how do pistols fit in there? Why would I take dual pistols over those three types of weapons? And then.. to make sure they aren't OP, why would I take one of those three weapon classes over dual pistols?

Basically what role would they fill for the class? If they are just going to slip into the niche of the SMG range.. why spend dev time on it over anything else? Yeah its cool.. but we need more than cool in order to be higher on the priority list. Need more than cool to be under scrutiny of inevitable balance passes. We need justification.
    • Up x 3
  2. Pootisman

Dual wielding OP? LA already has powerful close range weapons which can basically one-hit the enemy: SMGs and Shotguns.

I hate it when people instantly dismiss ideas/suggestions without thinking a second about it or because it COULD BE overpowered, i.e. some players say we cant add mechs to PS2 because they were overpowered in PS1. o_O

Of course it would be necessary to make some balance adjustments to dual wielding:
    • Remove ability to aim down sights (no more sniping with Commissioner)
    • Increase overall COF so that effective range is reduced
    • IF certain pistols like the NC shotgun pistol or the Commissioner turn out to be overpowered while dual wielding you could seperate pistols into normal and heavy pistols. Heavy pistols like the Commissioner cant be dual wielded.
    • Increase reload time
    Why would dual wielding be useful?
    • Increase movement speed (reason: the soldier doesnt have to carry a heavy primary weapon)
    • Make dual wielded pistols (and single wielded) be unaffected by jumping, buff drifter jets a bit and you have a new way to play LA
    • You could also give drifter jets a special buff when the player is dual wielding pistols: You dont loose height, so you can hover until fuel is empty.
    • Up x 1
  3. nehylen

Obviously not OP :rolleyes: :
    • Theoretical dps of a Serpent/GD7-F/TRV within max damage range: 2013
    • dual Onslaughts MAX : 2050
    • Theoretical dps of a Baron on bodyshots where every pellet hits within max damage range: 2333
    • Same for SA shotgun : 2925
    • Same for auto shotgun: 3380
    • Theoretical dps of dual Rebels(lowest pistol dps): 2175
    • Theoretical dps of dual Repeaters (highest pistol dps): 3154
    Considering hipfired +laser sights pistols have an effective range easily double that of bucket shotguns, i don't want to imagine the carnage that would ensue, the OHK with dual commies on infiltrators (2 rounds for a NMG/Adren HA...). It's absolutely ridiculous. The only thing semi-balanced there are the dual Manticores/Magshots/Rebels/Emperor (hovering between 2175 and 2340dps) and they're just completely redundant with the Baron in both dps and effective range...
  4. Iridar51

So I wonder, how long do you people intend to savor the fact that dual wielding current pistols / other weapons would be OP?
    To me that's so obvious that it should not even be considered that as a possibility. Obviously new weapons need to be created for dual wielding.
    • Up x 1
  5. CapperDeluxe

SMGs definitely shouldn't be dual wielded, but I don't see why any pistol couldn't be. I'm pretty sure existing SMG's and Shotguns would still dominate the CQB with dual pistols in play.
  6. Goldmonk

That's very.....descriptive.
  7. TheBlindFreak

I just want ADS while jetting back.

:(
    • Up x 2
  8. Kcalehc

I'd like to dual wield my pistol and a knife (and/or other melee weapon!)... so I can use both at the same time without the delay of reequipping in between. The blood god will be happy if someone gets me a chain-axe too :)
    • Up x 1
  9. VikingKong

I'd be happier with decent hip-fire, personally. The idea of someone shouldering a carbine and lining up the sights while airborne just made me impotent.
    Four cereals. We need more gadgets, not more guns. Making dual wielding the "main attraction" (or whatever they called it) of the revamp was just insulting. Give us tools. Give us non-****** nades. Give us an AV option that isn't boring, skill-less and borderline OP. Anything that will give the class a bit more depth. Guns? We don't need no guns. ( also, can we get more guns pl0x? D; )
    • Up x 1
  10. Taemien

Until you all answer my question. I doubt we'll see them added. I wasn't asking a rhetorical question. I have utterly no clue what role dual pistols can do that isn't covered by Carbines, SMGs, and Shotguns. And if I don't have a clue, chances are the devs don't either. Which means they aren't going to waste their time.

So.. find a role, give them an idea.. and you get to have your badassery dual wielding. Until then.. its just speculations and a pipe dream.

Forget if they would be OP, UP, or weird. If they don't have a role, they won't exist. Balance at this point is irrelevant. We could talk about wet naval assets all day long, but without water, its pointless. Dual pistols are in a similar position.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rovertoo

Pootisman suggested making them the go-to midair fighting weapons. Make Dual Wielding have no downsides while in flight and you have a new way to play the LA! Boba-fett style!
  12. Mezinov

They would have a higher movement speed bonus than an SMG, but lower DPS, reserve ammo, and ammo in magazine than an SMG. Since pistols have moderate to high damage per bullet, they would be similar to but less than pump shotties.

This makes them a tool for the Ultimate Hit-and-Run Light Assault, the type who runs adrenaline pump, with the hierarchy going as so;

Hit and Run ::: Dual Pistols -> Pump Shotty -> SMG -> Shotty -> Carbine ::: Stay and Fight

ALL THAT SAID.

Akimbo is dumb. I don't want it in the game. <- Personal opinion.
  13. Arsonix

I do just fine with my primary weapon and I switched out my pistol for the Hunter QCX with explosive bolts. I would never use or need ridiculous dual wielding. Next people will want laser swords because it sounds like a cool idea when it isn't. Let me carry two primaries or two utilities or something. That would be useful. Literally two of anything else other than sidearms is a better idea.
  14. Whatupwidat

Naw I don't want it - I've gotten used to being the most useless soldier on the battlefield and now spend my battles climbing trees and pooing C4 on the enemy.
  15. K2k4

Honestly this is exactly why LA needed the revamp first and why I'm still shocked that it's not priority today.

This is literally it, we fly up to the trees and poop c4. That's our role in combat.

You can argue that we can exploit angles from buildings but is mildly annoying distraction really an effective combat role?

What I want as an LA is extra life kits so I can self rez myself up to 3 times with a resource item in the utility slot. Then my underpowered nature isn't a hindrance to the team.
  16. Rovertoo

If I could:

-Add LA Grenade Launchers as a tool to reduce reliability on C4, complete set like HA, including an ES version
    -Add Stim packs/Adrenaline shots as a utility to combat sheer amount of C4
    -Add new 'strafe/burst' pack ability as a 1v1 focused alternative
    -Add class-specific primary weapons ala HA's Heavy Weapons. Bullpup rifles lend themselves to this pretty well, either that or some sweet ES shotguns.

-Reduce Jetpack charge time (so much time just sitting there! LA's should always be on the move.)
    -Reduce CoF penalty in flight (let us do some hoverbattles!)

Done! Now, do the same for every class so the HA doesn't have all the cool toys anymore and we'll have a complete class system! Dual Wielding would just be icing on the cake.
  17. vincent-

I would play LA more if he could duel weld more so why not throw any idea on test first to see what you can do no promises to be added but for hells sake we need new toys and crap you can only do so much with what we have.
  18. OldMaster80

- Make flashbangs viable.
    - Reduce accuracy penalty while flying so that fighting during flight is actually possible.
    - Make Drifters "skating" useful.
    - Give LA a new tool like combat drugs, thermal visors, target painters or something like that.
  19. Iridar51

20. Taemien

I could go with that.