[Suggestion] The Tank Revamp Everyone wants

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jake the Dog

We all have thought the "why do I need to switch barrels to switch the round my tank fires?" question this is how I propose it be implemented and how it could revitalize and make tank game play more awesome.4

First, tanks gain the ability to carry X amount of rounds. Which can be HE, HEAT or AP. Switching rounds takes 5s. making it very detrimental to switch once a tank has already engaged your infantry farm (which everyone doesn't like). Now comes the fun part. That turret/barrels can be switched out for different positives/negatives and would work alot like how the current guns work except you could upgrade your reload speed, ammo capacity and zoom.

Examples of new turret designs:
    TR-
    Single barrel 3 round burst-fire autocannon with bloom. The farther the target is away the harder it is to land all the shots.
    Reload Speed: ~2.5s
    DAMAGE: AP:~900 HEAT: ~700 HE:~550
    Velocity: ~300m/s
    Negatives: Outside of bloom, explosive radius on rounds are down 50%.
    Positives more shots landing for higher rewards, best with deploy where multiple shots can be thrown downrange rapidly. 10% bonus to ammo.

NC-
    Single barrel shotgun...(jk) railgun requires a short spin up makes up for it with massive velocity and extra armor piercing damage. Breathes a H*** lot of life into the van.
    Reload speed: ~4s
    DAMAGE: AP:~2300 HEAT: ~1800 HE:~ 1500
    Velocity: ~600m/s
    Negatives: Small warm-up, 50% reduction to blast radius.
    Positives: 5% armor pierce bonus. Don't let it start shooting first ;D

VS-
    Single barrel charge up weapon that does massive dmg but requires to charge up. Shot dmg can vary as to how long it was charged. Multiple lower powered shots could be fired in succession for less overall dmg, but be prone to overheating however.
    Charge time: ~5s
    DAMAGE: AP:~ 2800 HEAT: ~2200 HE:~1600
    Velocity: 300m/s
    Negatives: Charge up and Overheat mechanics.
    Positives: Highest damage inflicting weapon in the game.

Other turrets (such as current models) could have bonuses along the lines of more ammo, faster fire rate or a secondary machine gun replacing your zoom optic. Essentially different quirks that make each seperate gun unique to the tank. Negative quirks could be emplaced as well. This would open a wide variety of types of guns mountable on tanks. Some with higher angles of fire possible as well.

Secondly, new abilities, tired of deploying? Shielding? or magburning? Try these on for size.
    TR-
    Troop carrier ability.
    The Prowler gains the ability to carry 1 extra infantry with it (upgradeable to four). Decreases rear armor by 5% due to hatch.
    NC-
    Anti-infantry grenade attack (AOE AI defense)
    An area around the vanguard bursts with AI grenades killing anyone within 3m of the tank and and damaging out to 5-8m. (upgrades either decrease cooldown or increase blast radius.)
    VS-
    EMP AOE, disables shields in vicinity of the magrider and slows nearby vehicles by 50%.
    (Upgrades increase blast radius or decrease timer)

New secondary options
    Replace those pesky pub gunners with new systems! Downside, you no longer have the enforcer/vulcan/halberd/saron...
    -automagic AMS! (Anti missile system)
    Shoots down those pesky rockets/hornets/lolpods/plasma...ball things before they hit your beautiful tank. This AMS would require ammo however and have to be resupplied at an ammo tower or sundy. (does not protect you against tank shells or grenades.)
    -Radar I don't know anyone who actually does equip this normally so put it on tanks that want to solo. moar powerful than the older counterpart detects ground troops 50m out and air units an extra 100m out.
    -automatic Anti-infantry sytem!
    Similar to the engineers new auto turret, certainly not very long range or powerful but enough for a solo tanker to have a little warning before getting c4'd.

The option to pull the 3man tank! As someone who has been prowling about... alot I've noticed I reaally wouldnt mind having to just focus on driving. As such This would be handy if you have buddies available.
    1Driver
    1gunner
    1secondary gunner (or the previous list of shiny things)

Among the customizable features the ability to switch chassis, for more armor trade your speed, or maybe trade your speed for more ammo capacity buffs on all weapons. Trade speed for more armor.

Something similar to a point system would be interesting such as you have 10 critical points. you can either spend some crit points in lets say 8crits in armor 1crit in speed and 1 in ammo, where you would have a god awfully slow tank but... you've got a metric F*** ton in armor. Would be a cool option, but I doubt its implementation would like varying chassis types though.

What would make this unique is that the driver would get a forward facing machine gun (kobolt/basilisk) similar to the flashes with limited movement. Essentially making the 3 man tank the heavy tank and everybody knows in this game teamwork is OP. Maintain the ability to rotate view 360 degrees for the driver (in 3rd person) (yet gun would only face forward still ofc).

With this kind of implementation it would open a slew of options for the other vehicles as well, such as the lightning or liberator.

If you have your own idea or rethought an idea of mine please post below! The tank game is awesome and we are long due on our tank overhaul. If you hate my ideas like "omfg tanks soooo OP" you can either post below respectfully or go on a rant about how tanks are ruining planetside and blatantly show that you don't know how to play the game. Cheers everyone! Heres to tanks!
    • Up x 2
  2. Rovertoo

I would love a tank railgun! (or shotgun! :D)

I've always thought it would be cool to have a Mechwarrior-style vehicle lab. You could allocate your armor points to front/sides/back/top as you like, choose your engine rating, etc. They'd all have a weight assigned, so you could pick between saving weight on armor to have more speed and ammo, or take a light, slow engine and bulk up on heavy armor and a bug gun but have little ammo, or any mixture of whatever you like!
  3. Pelojian

so basically TR gets extra troop capacity, a burst fire turret which anyone can get on a stock lightning and has worse blast radius
    NC gets a tank shotgun with a similar reduced radius and a nice anti C4 aoe blast.
    VS gets a charge up tank cannon that doesn't loose any explosion radius and promotes peek-a-boo tactics and gets a AE tank crippler so they can **** any tank in CQC (especially TR tanks since we don;t have a shield to fall back on)

Anti-missle system and radar are good ideas, the auto turret is a bad one considering how bad the current engineer one is.

I think a coax kobalt could be useful and balanced if it removed the top gun on tanks and had a range reduction over the gunner variants.

despite your avatar your suggestions reek of Buff VS, NC, disguised nerf to TR.
  4. HAXTIME

I am now officially raging mad. If anything, the TR needs 4 barrels, 2 on both sides. What am I supposed to do with only 1!? It doesn't shoot enough.
    • Up x 1
  5. VonStalin

"The Tank Revamp Everyone wants"

I want tanks to be able to destroy walls of bases like turrets, and some buildings too. After capture engineers would be able to rebuild them.
    • Up x 1
  6. vsae

"Tank revamp nobody but OP wants"
  7. LodeTria

Actually I'd rather have the E651 Titan from Earth Defense Force 2025.
  8. Takara

Tank Revamp I want just switches the primary and secondary guns. I would rather the gunner has the main gun....this would make them more effective and you would see less tank zergs.
  9. 3punkt14159

What tanker feeling really will improve is, when i can change the loadout of my pulled tank, after pulling it. I mean, when i pull a Skyguard, 5 minutes later, it is useless, because all planes just left the area, so the farm infanterie in another place.
    Implement this, would be verry easy, in in my opinion it could coast 100 nanites to change your loudout, bat at least its better then wast 350 for a new tank.
    • Up x 1
  10. Alarox

I don't really want that TBH.
  11. Pikachu

Yes you do. You do because its normal! :mad:
    • Up x 1
  12. Flag

NC main gun that does even more damage than the current one AND has 600 m/s?!

:confused: That smacks of OP if you ask me. You don't get BOTH high velocity/accuracy AND higher damage. No no no.
  13. Jake the Dog

@ pelojian i was joking on the shotgun. Nobody 8n their right mind wants another shotgun for tue nc.

The burst fire autocannon was in the prowlers original concept art.

Same with the vanguard ability to deploy anti infantry grenades.

When I put the dmg with "~" it would be saying on average im no expert at balancing tanks.

I would say all the above is open to rebalancing. Im no game expert and are just the values i put down originally if you think i should change it to something else then suggest different dmg values
  14. Jake the Dog

For the guys that doubt the original concepts (the mag overcharge was my own idea due to I have no idea where the magriders concept art is) and I was VERY open to change on that one. The art goes into quite a lot of detail about vehicle descriptions.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Here is a link to deviantart on the original planetside 2 concept art.
    http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=planetside 2&offset=0v

I would like if you offered creative suggestions to my post as well, on how it could be balanced. Lets be honest the NC need a REAL railgun. This is what I referenced for my post. NOTE on the vanguard the APD (active point defence)
  15. Kumaro

Being able to switch ammo instead. Carrying several different kinds based on my own play style??
    And changing tower more based other things
    YES PLEASE!!
  16. Pelojian

Alright i'll put it this way. troop capacity for an MBT will only be useful for squadplay, my experience even when driving sunderers and using it as a bus enough people don't expect sunderers to stick around after the cap they just run to the vehicle terminal and pull a flash/harrasser. so useless for solo or random play.

Grenade AOE and 'VS tank crippler' would be useful for the NC and VS but again it'd be like TR is currently with anchor mode.

Quad turret/railgun/charge up gun

Four barrels doesn't mean burst fire, how accurate is your burst fire against infantry or tanks at range with viper? i could see a quad turret working like a [fire 2 single shots from the right side, auto reloads] [fire left cannons while right side reloads]

A railgun would not look right with drop in that way it'd become alot like a lancer and end up as a king of brawlers and king of long range.

charge up i could see being just as cheese as a railgun. even someone who has little skill with a magrider could wreck with this, precharge, fire on target, go back behind hill, charge and fire again. magriders are hated enough for their ability to use terrain to reset fights like ESFs.

I could see a troop capacity a useful passive if it was commonpool and didn't have an armor penalty attached to it. you could run around as a single squad with passengers as close mechanized infantry support for your tanks.

I'm fine with the current existing tank cannons. i don't think we need more. i think SOE could make some money selling the quad turret and railgun turrets as cosmetics. quad turret could look like every second reload swapped cannons and the railgun could change the firing effect on the barrel to look more energetic. dunno what they could sell to the VS.