[Suggestion] grenade launcher

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dovahkinPL, Jan 9, 2015.

1. SirPanfried

Implying that any explosive weapons other than c4 have a radius bigger than the size of a coconut. Seeing as you pretty much HAVE to run grenade bandolier and throw more than one to be consistent with them. Not to mention that the enemy pretty much has to squat and nestle the grenade between their butt cheeks to do any serious damage.
  2. VonStalin

I know what you are talking about - done auraxium on grenades, was frustrating. But everybody has them and everybody throws them, just too much.
  3. SirPanfried

It's a catch 22, really. People might throw less grenades if they were more powerful, but they would probably be complained about even more. I don't understand why frag grenades even cost resources, more so bc if you play infantry only you're not punished too hard for getting spammy unless you exclusively run back to resupply, get more grenades throw them, and repeat.
  4. HenryTD

i don't like that idea since we already have C4 fairy,so i don't want to have another kind of fairy :v :v
  5. SirPanfried

C4 fairy unfortunately is one of the few overtly unique things that the light assault can do. It'd be nice to see some other forms of support play other than C4 fairy or jet onto rooftop/rocks and pew pew infiltrators and other LAs
  6. Demigan

Just put it in the Utility slot. If players have to choose between C4 and a grenade launcher you'll have less people complaining (especially about C4 fairies).

Edit: and you can make the damage be lower than a Carbine if you have bodyshots by lowering ROF. That way you can avoid it being too good. Give it small AOE's and a fire mode where you fire the grenades with a delay so you can scatter them in rooms before an assault, force people out of their cover etc.
  7. SirPanfried

3 grenade kill, ROF at 1 grenade per second? That way it's generally outpaced by primaries. Also, downright poor damage to vehicles and maxes would further clarify and balance it as an anti infantry weapon.
  8. axiom537

Plasma Thumper for the WIN...God I loved that weapon...
  9. Mezinov

Special Assault all the way! I thumped quite a bit myself, but I was always more a Rocklet Rifle kind of guy. That said, Trolling Vehicles with Jammer Thumper > Everything

Thumper from Planetside 1 had two fire modes. Explode on Contact, or 3 Second Delay.
  10. Diggles

GL should take up your main weapon slot and just like UBGL have a minimum arm distance.
    Such a weapon would obviously only be balanced on heavies.

Could very easily make a nanite cost attached to it, say 3 frag grenades worth cost....raise it if it is overused.

Its a shame that PS1 is still vastly superior in terms of infantry gameplay and strategy. Not only could you pick your ammo, but also your arming style, det on contact or 2 sec fuse. Hrm..what kind of ammo do I want on my Thumper, explosive, plasma (Damage over time), EMP or rockets (projectile with decent splash...Hello rocket primary!)
  11. Taemien

I think I have an idea for the UBGL.

Two things people complain about. The splash and the range. But never both at the same time. So why not have both, separate, but have both?

Take the current UBGL and unnerf the range. Let it hit out to the distance it used to, but with its current splash. This is the longrange option. Requires skill and precision.

Make a new HE UBGL with the current range and arc and let it deal the same damage, just more splash. Give a longer reload (heavier round) and a longer rearm from ammo packs. This lessens the spammy nature of it.

Now we've got something to spend certs on, versatility. Its not Overpowered, and most people are happy.
  12. SirPanfried

1. Heavies have more than enough weapon options as well as inherent flexibility. I'd say let somebody else get the cool toy for a change.
    2.Nanite cost? While I'm all for negating spam, it really sucks the fun out of a gun if you know you're spending something to use it. If it functions as a "power weapon" I'd agree but as a basic infantry support weapon that's just penalizing people for wanting to use something that isn't another machine gun. Which is one of the bigger problems with this game.
    3. Naturally explosive would be the default option, but what will EMP do? It'd be horribly obnoxious if it worked like the PS1 version, disabling vehicle weapons for 20 seconds. If it works like infiltrator's emp it'd be stepping on inf's toes, so to speak. I don't know if this games TTK would work with plasmas. Though I'm certain people would cry about it's increased radius since people in this game are have a downright toxic attitude towards anything that has an AOE. The above stuff you mentioned from PS1 were all the reasons the thumper was my fav weapon. Powerful in the hands of the skilled and having such adaptable utility.
  13. Rovertoo

I'd love to see a GL! It would have to be a LA tool though, the class seriously needs it (and before anyone says something inane like 'killing is the HA's job', I'd like to point out that the Light Assault is the weaker, mobile brother to the HA. As an Assault class it only makes sense that the LA gets a weaker, mobile version of the Rocket Launcher).

I'm thinking that for balance, the standard version would be a 2 shot kill (direct or splash) with large but weak blast radius. It would fire slow and the grenades would not detonate on impact, allowing it to be bounced around corners but also reducing control. Long reload, low ammo pool, you name it.

There could also be AA/AV dedicated versions, as well as some sweet ES GLs! Maybe for NC, they can have a single shot Grenade Launcher that can be manually detonated, TR could get the old Rocklet Rifle, and VS could get a launcher that fires orbs that bounce madly inside a room until they detonate!
  14. Xind

Man, I don't remember anything positive about the Thumper. Especially when you had guys using the direct explosive and the dot explosive, creating no entry zones...and then there were people with Lashers backing them up...a nice solid 14 FPS and every kill made did not require a direct hit. The good ol' days.

I can see people trying to cap or hold a point and just have LA spamming explosives through the windows. You can already carry a grenade bandolier...just use the tools you already have for explosive spam. 4 Grenades and 2 c4 is a helluva lot of explodey-bits for a flying man.
  15. SirPanfried

I did think of an idea for plasma grenades just now. Instead of the PS1 mechanic of "wider radius with damage over time" the plasma behaves more like napalm,splattering on the ground and burning for a few seconds, only delivering damage to those who stand in the radius. Therefore if you don't want to take damage, move out of the radius. Needless to say the damage tick wouldn't be super powerful, so It's only exceptionally dangerous to weakened players and those dumb enough to stick around.
  16. SirPanfried

And a heavy assault can have a grenade, 2 C4 and 10 rockets, which is a hell of a lot for a dude with a shield.

Lightnings. Lolpods. Furys. Too l8 m8.
    • Up x 3
  17. Xind

10 rockets? I guess if you take that armor. But frankly, as annoying as dumbfire spam is (when it's not targeting vehicles), it doesn't compete with being in an elevated and unseen position with 4 frag grenades. The decimation is insane. Thank god Dumbfires don't have AoE attached to them, which is essentially the only thing a grenade launcher being added would have over any other weapon.

And yeah, I know it's too late to curb the AoE Spam and OHKs. But a guy can dream?
  18. SirPanfried

You've got a point with elevation being your friend with "lobbing" type stuff. However therein lies the rub with throwable grenades. You've gotta throw 2 or more to be more consistent with them. Also I hate OHKs as much as the next guy. Which is the main reason Id prefer a grenade launcher to be a multi shot weapon as opposed to a single shot weapon. In order to be remotely competitive with the HA's rockets a single shot grenade launcher would almost have to be a one shot kill, at least on a direct hit. And yes, getting mortared from a rooftop is the exact opposite of fun. Other balance ideas I thought of is that grenades glow your faction color, like the striker's rockets. Using it in either night or day gives away your position and all it takes is a light assault to fly up to your location and carbine/shotgun you in the face. If the gun were to have a fire rate of 1 nade a second, and takes 3 direct nades to kill a player, it would take 3 seconds to kill a player, more than enough for a standard weapon user to kill a grenadier several times over. The grenadier could always switch to a sidearm but they are still outgunned. At least that's my logic.
  19. SirPanfried

And perhaps as an additional balance measure equipping the thumper bars you from using non-utility grenades, or perhaps even throwable grenades in general.
  20. Kumaro

Alternative weapon for the rocket launcher??
    Considering how bases and Infantry balances are going we barley need that rocket thing anyway <.<