[Unite!] The first step on the road to revolution - VR

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alan Kalane, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Alan Kalane

Hello everyone!

I created this thread for one reason - I was hoping we could all change the game together! To show SOE
    the direction! To unite and speak as one!

Just look how much power we players have - countless weapons got remaked, buffed or nerfed just because of the demand presented here on the forums. It's time to use this influence to make the game better in general, not just in the balance department!

To succeed we have to show solidarity as a community and focus on a common goal - something everybody would like to see implemented, no matter what faction he is or how does he play the game. We don't want to make the game different, we want to make it BETTER for everyone.

For this reason I choose something I think we could all agree on:
    - the VR could use a revamp. It's a good place to start our little revolution... and after we are done we
    could proceed to changing the way the game is played; not just in the VR but on all four continents of Auraxis.
    I have many ideas I believe everyone could support, which are easy to implement (I am a Unity programmer, I have some idea about it) and that could improve the overal experience the players get while playing the game. If we succeed now we could push this initiative far beyond the VR room!

However we mustn't rush it - Rome wasn't built in a day afterall. It's better to choose one small thing to focus on and get it done first. So my first suggestion and the first step on the road to revolution is:
    - let's convince SOE to add moving dummies to the VR!

And before you say "Meh, that's boring. Why should I care?" let me convince you why you should press that little thumb-up button to the right.

PRO-CONS RELATION

PROS:
    - WAY easier to learn how to lead a weapon properly!
    - The enemy keeps[IMG] ADADing so fast you can't hit him? Practice in the VR!
    - Better new player experience! #PS4mergeiscomming!
    - Easier for all players to reach the "skill floor" and "skill ceiling"!
    - Better environment to try out a weapon before buying or taking for a trial!
    - Easier to get to the PS2 airgame! Leading is very important! Go give those skyknights some payback!
    - Much QoL!
    - 100% BUG FREE! Almost impossible to screw this up!
    - No visible effect on performance!
    - EXTREMELY easy to implement! All the models, animations and code are already there, waiting for someone
    to put it all together! Shouldn't take more than a day for programmers to implement. This means
    it won't delay future updates[IMG] AT ALL! If Landmark can have mobs that attack and use skills then PS2 can
    have simple bots moving around!
    - Might actualy earn SOE some money! I explain how exactly below if you're interrested.

CONS:
    - None I can think off! Can you?

If you still have doubts then please read the in-depth part where I explain everything and answer the most vital questions.
    IN DEPTH

1.So how exactly will all of this affect the game?
    Balance-wise, nothing will change of course. You can still play the game the way you want. But if you wanted to take it to a higher level; to improve your skills while aiming then the new bots are for you! Remember - Some of the best PS2 players practice in the VR regularly. I believe we could make the VR a much better training facility!

2.Is it really that easy to implement?
    No. It's even easier than that. As a Unity programmer I can create simple bots just moving around or in a pattern in less than half an hour providing I have all the necessary assets like SOE does. Of course I do realise Forgelight (PS2 engine) might be much more complicated than Unity but even then it shouldn't take more than a day before it hits the internal test server. But wait - they don't even have to write any new code! Landmark uses the same engine PS2 does (Forgelight) and it has mobs that do much more than just walk around - they also attack and use abilities! Heck, even Planetside[IMG] 1 dummies could walk around! All we have to do is show SOE the demand for this feature and I believe we could get it much quicker than you'd expect!

3.How could dummies in the VR earn SOE any money?
    I'm sure you know that January the 20th Planetside 2 on PS4 will leave the beta and the PC servers will merge with the new PS4 servers. That means lots of new players suddenly joining the game. Can you remember what it was like when you joined PS2 for the first time? I can tell you how it was for me and probably many other players
    - it was frustrating because I couldn't land my bullets! I was constantly getting killed by players who just effortlessly kept strafing left and right while raining bullets straight on my head. I was disappointed by the VR because it's impossible to learn how to lead on stationary targets[IMG]. If we implemented the moving dummies then new players would gain an area where they can practice much faster without constantly landing on the death screen, then waiting to respawn and walking all the way back just to die again... That would greatly improve the new player experience. Better new player experience means new players are more likely to stay. More players means more fun and more money for SOE. More money for SOE naturaly means more funding for the game to develop and more content!

4.You could've come up with anything and yet you choose dummies in the VR?! Why?
    Because unlike some other suggestion threads out there I try to keep my suggestions on an acceptable level. Some people suggest things like completely reworking everything in this game or adding a system that would require a ton of work. Although they often had huge support from the community, their suggestions were simply out of reach for SOE or they impacted other players in a negative way. This is why we WILL win - because our suggestions are simple, yet effective; they don't hurt any player in the game, no matter what faction he is or how he likes to play; they are acceptable for SOE to implement even without changing their schedule. And if we succeed (we WILL) many more people will join us so we can start pushing bigger things...

5.I don't use the VR at all, why should I support you?
    If not for yourself then please support this thread for the players who want this feature. There are no cons, just big plusses! Also it's 100% free and all the cool people are doing it! :)

SO REMEMBER
    If you liked the idea - leave a like! It's free!
    If you disliked the idea - tell us why!
    BUT
    If for some reason you still don't care, please leave a like! You have nothing to loose and many players who want that feature will be endlessly thankful! Also this way you support the positive incentive our little revolution is...

[IMG]

TO GLORY!!!
    [IMG]

• Up x 7
  2. BlueSkies

Thats a fairly long post arguing for something that the devs have already said they want to do, and will do now that they have the spitfire AI done.

Points for formatting though?
  3. Alan Kalane

Well, I actualy didn't know the devs said they want to make the dummies move. Can you provide the source of this info?

And yeah, I tried REALLY hard to make my post as appealing as possible while providing all the necessary information. I hope I did it the right way, although maybe I should've made it smaller...
  4. Rovertoo

As much as I'd like to see moving dummies in the VR, and I'm sure it'll happen eventually, I doubt that it will be as impactful to the game as you suggest. So sure, add dummies, but I would rather rally behind things that effect the game in a deeper manner, like new content and things.
  5. Alan Kalane

It's not meant to do mirracles. I tried to be honest and straightforward. As I said Rome wasn't bult in one day and neither do I expect the dummies to suddenly solve all the problems. But if all it takes to get them is a few hours of work from the devs and they generaly impact the game in a positive way then why not? It's a small thing, but sometimes it's the small things that matter the most.
  6. BlueSkies

Oh god.. I can't remember if it was in a Higby Pls or one of the other videos (it was before the spitfire had been released). They were talking about now that they have AI working they can put automated turrets on bases and moving dummies in VR and yadda yadda yadda.
    • Up x 1
  7. LightningPro

Yes VR training should be better.
    But before they would do this we get fifty new helmets hundreds of great camouflage pattern and other #)="$+# to buy.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cz4rMike

Yes, full yes ;)
    nice post!
    • Up x 1
  9. Asyu

My mom can do better VR, just place dummies everywere -> PROFIT.
  10. FnkyTwn

Cult of personality much?

Non-Toxic Revolution? Could we maybe try a Gluten-Free Revolution next?

Is this MrNature72's alt? There's only a few things centered, but the whole rambling 'follow me to victory' thing seems familiar.

Edit: This is from two weeks ago. What would possess you to resurrect this Asyu?
  11. Alan Kalane

Yeah, you're right. I was inspired by the way MrNature72 creates his threads, because although most of the ideas he suggested were impossible to implement from SOEs perspective he always gained a lot of support from the community. And I could definetly use more support.

Thank you for the revival, my dear friend :D I suppose others prefer to talk about nerfs or space battles than actualy trying to affect the game in a possitive way. And there's a lot to be done.
  12. Asyu

There is no need to make bots - just combine VR for all fractions and you have infinite VR possibilities. Just give reasonable stimulus system to humans, so they can be bots for each other.

Firing ranges may include:
    1. Hit a trooper running from cover to cover.
    So you either practice running from cover to cover from A to B under fire, adjusting to weapons fired (imagine running when enemy is reloading), or you are practice firing. The point is you are not dying while running, but instead trying ti minimize damage. Hint: you can record movement of troopers so you don't need a pair of runner/shooter every time.

So basically it's the main firing range that everybody wants.

But, if you have additional developers, some more ideas for today:

2. Very fast-paced score-based fun-oriented duels. It's not hard to implement, all mechanics are there, just make small isolated area and add score engine with scoreboard, best results, maybe stats and other stuff.
    Players don't die here, they'll just instantly teleport to start for 100% non-stop action (Need to think more carefully about it)
    3. VR is where the stats ideally fit. You want to try some weapons in specific combat situations, want to understand more of some weapon before buying - welcome to VR!
    3.1. Stats are much easier to implement in the game, than unpacking game resources and putting stuff into spreadsheets/external coding. Because in the game you have a live working model, so you just add stats recalculation in real time (I know, every good player would LOVE real-time true stats in some or other way).

4. Range for different combat situations:
    4.1. Make an angle on a sniper (2 players vs Sniper) - don't kill, just calculate damage till player crosses the line.
    4.2. Clear/defend a building - do make players teleport outside this area instead of dying.
    4.3. Inf vs a Tank - same here - no dying, just 100% practicing.

5. Pure sniping area.
    ....and so on.*

Carefully implemented sport and fun-oriented practice zone with match points instead of deaths will promote good training aid and benefit game skills for all players.*
    Carefully implemented training scoreboard will further accent on player performance.*

* If you have additional developers

And, last thing for today - you can require some VR badges for your squad/outfit applicants, so you know he is training hard))
    • Up x 1
  13. Alan Kalane

I've been thinking about this as well. That'd be cool if you could choose a specific player to train with so he can damage you but when your health drops below 1 you don't die but instantly regain all your health and your partner receives a notification that he had dealt enough damage to kill you. I'm sure one day we will get this feature as well as it should be quite easy to implement, but IMHO bots are much more important because you won't always have a partner to exercise with while bots will always be there waiting for you. So moving bots are a basic feature the VR should have, and other features should be added on top of it.

I also think VR should have an area that not only allows cross-faction play but also has a special terminal that allows you to actualy switch factions yourself. This would allow outfits to simulate battles for exercise purposes and players to actualy try out other faction weaponry before crying for a nerf on the forums.

All your ideas are very good and I'd like to see all of them go live, but for now we have to focus on one thing at a time.