So are my specs THAT awful?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Revan114, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Revan114

I can most games I play pretty well, but Planetside 2 just lags the Hell out of me, even on low settings.

Processor: AMD FX 8120 Eight Core
    RAM: 4:00 GB
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700

Is there a way to better play PS2 with my settings or is an upgrade mandatory? I don't have much money.
  2. BlackDove

RAM and a bad CPU is your limiting factor. Get another 4GB.
  3. Nepau

Due to the Nature of the PS2 beast your Clock speed plays a larger role in how well it runs compared to number of cores. Also I'm going to asume your running PS2 on a 32bit os, because I know running the 64bit client I can get my Ram usage to 4gig easy.

You might also want to use the Ingame FPS meter as it tells you what in general is the Bottleneck on your FPS. For most people it tends to be CPU, so you might want to check on that.

Though just as some Specs to compare performance (and yes this stuff isn't cheep I know)

GTX 970
    I7-4820-k Clocked at 4.2gigz
    Ram: 16gig

Running super sampeling, shadows/flora off everything else maxes my FPS ranges between 40-80 constantly CPU capped. I know mines more of an extreme example, but it might help you see what your problem is most linked to and what you might be able to do.

Also you might want to check your other graphic settings, as I believe as you turn down some of them it puts more load on the CPU then if it is higher, so you might be actually dropping your FPS because your card can handle more then you think it can.
  4. Revan114

I use 64bit.
  5. Nepau

Ok ya then I will say that 4gig ram really isn't cutting it. I've watched my memory usage for PS2 and I've seen it use up 4gig easy so having 4gig for your entire system is really not going to help you any.
  6. Springjack

ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor, 3200 Mhz
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)4.00 GB
    AMD Radeon HD 6570

Low settings.
    My performance has been good (an improvement over last year), but I get terrible ping spikes that seem to happen all the time.
  7. revan1141

I've been seeing conflicting reports about ultra/high settings vs low.

Apparently people think low settings put more pressure on the CPU... I don't see how. Is this true? Here is my config:

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=1
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=1440
    FullscreenHeight=900
    WindowedWidth=1440
    WindowedHeight=900
    Mode=WindowedFullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Windowed

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=0
    TextureQuality=2
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=120
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    EffectsQuality=2
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=2
    VerticalFOV=55
    ParticleLOD=1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    BloomEnabled=0
    ForceGpuPhysics=1
    GpuPhysics=0
    Smoothing=0

I'm gonna go unpark my cores.
  8. Ninave

Somewhere in the near past something about how the game tells to Windows that it's a game that needs all the power it can get must have changed. If you have power savings in your Control Panel -> Power Settings profile, turn them off and set CPU minimum usage to 80% or above (at least for your gaming profile). This applies even to desktops as I myself had to go set it to 80% manually.

The unparking tool can do this for you if you set it and part of the boost you get from unparking might currently be due to this.