C4 - Really?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Whale, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MahouFairy

How is the C4 op when you have a gunner covering your back for any of those fairies? If you don't have a gunner or at least some situational awareness, then you probably deserved to get C4ed.

However, I do think that dumbfire rocket launchers could be buffed in the sense that the bullet drop and speed is decreased and increased respectively, so it would make pulling out the basic rocket launchers more worthwhile.
    • Up x 1
  2. EnsignPistol

I'd accept a C4 "readjustment" along the following lines
    • C4's blast radius deals anti-vehicle explosive type damage only within a small innermost radius (e.g. physically sticking the target with it). The rest of the radius is ordinary explosives splash, and thus can't damage vehicles (and deals reduced damage to MAXs).
    • C4's damage against most types of targets is reduced. One brick of C4 against a non-flak armor MAX deals about as much damage as being stuck with an anti-vehicle grenade (~75% damage). Two bricks will destroy a Lightning with some room to spare, while the same two will severely damage (but not instantly destroy) an MBT). Regular splash damage and blast radius is slightly worse than a frag grenade (but still has 1 hit kill potential within its inner radius).
    • Vehicles with directional armor take directional damage from C4 that explodes on or very close to them. You must specifically stick the rear of the vehicle for maximum effect).
    • C4 is "thrown" in a much straighter, more predictable arc (good for long distance throws and air drops, bad for lobbing over obstacles)
    • C4 sticks to MAXs more reliably
    • C4 can be thrown, and the detonator set off, much faster, approximately twice as fast as now.
    • Nanite cost for C4 is reduced to 50 nanites per brick
    • Infiltrators can now carry C4 (and with all non-MAX infantry able to carry it, possibly turn C4 into a universal utility like medkits are).
    I'd also like to request an alternative anti-vehicle utility slot item for more specialized anti-vehicle work, perhaps something along the lines of the Light Assault Weapon System I've seen proposed a few times. Spend nanites on single use rocket launchers and whatnot.
    • Up x 2
  3. Devrailis

Proxy Radar = GG C4 Fairy

Auto Turret = GG C4 Fairy

Farming Infantry in a Cheese Chariot? Run Stalker Infiltrator + Nanite Repair + Fire Suppression + Motion Spotter = What's C4?
    • Up x 3
  4. Rovertoo

Balance wise it's fine, very equal between pros and cons. The biggest problem with it however is just how supremely frustrating it is to use and be killed by.

For the user, it has an obnoxious arming delay, is horribly buggy, and is otherwise unreliable.

For the target, it's an instant death with no warning or recourse.

As a supporter of changing frustrating things in this game to be less frustrating, I think we should change C4 to
    A) Only allow one to be deployed at a time
    B) Reduce/remove arming delay, please pretty please fix the bugs (please)
  5. AlterEgo

Maybe...
    Well, sort off...
    Slightly on to something...
    Actually, good point. Just had bad memories in 06, man. I was in a war!
  6. belthazor3457

I miss the days where people didn't complain about C4 and if you were negligent enough in a competitive game to allow someone to walk up to your vehicle and plant explosives on it, it was your own fault for your negligence. Talk about culture shock when ya walk into a "competitive game", and suddenly everyone's a poor oppressed victim when they park a tank with no infantry support, no radar, no gunner, and feel it's unfair that a tank crewed and defended by one person is destroyed by one infantryman who walked up to it and strapped explosives onto it.

Ya know, there was a time in planetside 2 where if you planted a C4 brick onto the front of a liberator, it would blow up the liberator. That was nerfed down to two C4 not destroying it, and not being guaranteed to light it on fire either - one of the largest nerfs in the game. From "air that are negligent enough to fly low and have explosives planted on them by infantry deserve to die" to special protections and victimhood and "I shouldn't be ALLOWED to be penalized for doing something dumb in a COMPETITIVE game and I should be PROTECTED from the consequences of doing something dumb, because it's not competitive unless THE GAME MECHANICS PROTECT ME AND GIVE ME SPECIAL IMMUNITY."

Worst part is that it's usually "NERF C4!" that people shout when asking for "balance" changes in regards to it - not "rework certain mechanics to be more competitive, more favorable to skillful play, and more penalizing to stupidity"

Eg, 'make a tank able to survive 2 C4 bricks if planted on the frontal armor plates, but one on the rear engine block destroys it / a grenade thrown down the top hatch will kill the crew and make empty vehicles prone to hijacking.'
    • Up x 11
  7. Baulk

I find C4 in this game to be ridicuolusy overused. Well come on C4 being used against groups of infantry and vehicles? We do have anti tank mines don't we.

The thing that comes to mind about how to redo the C4 is to make its application ground based and delay based. So that you can only put it when you are on the ground and applying it will take a few seconds.
  8. doombro

Having tools to deal with it doesn't make it balanced.
    • Up x 2
  9. FateJH

If you want to be specific, those aren't even tools to "deal with it" but, rather, tools to alert to the possibility.

Those don't help at all against C4 unless you actually survive the initial encounter.
    Meanwhile, the other tools you mentioned - Motion Spotter and Spitfire - would only help if the Vehicle were to stay relatively stationary, something that tankers were already advised to not do.
  10. CorporationUSA

It's just one of the dozens of cheesy tactics in the game. Yes, they could change it, but there would still be 49 other cheesy ways to die. This game is basically just a big sandbox for people to do ridiculous things in. That is really what it comes down to, and if you are expecting more than that, then you will definitely be disappointed.
    • Up x 2
  11. doombro

Exactly. I'm not asking for early warning, I'm asking for a "YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET ONE HIT KILLED, YOU HAVE 200 MILLISECONDS TO RESPOND" indication. Grenades have it, MAXes have it, vehicles have it, why doesn't C4 have it?
  12. Elrobochanco

Preparing for super hate, but I would change C4, to do sliiiightly less damage to tanks (say 51% per brick instead of the current 80ish) but able to be tossed without swapping to the weapon itself like quickknife or grenades (then hold button to detonate like swapping to knife from quickknife now)

Alternately tone down damage to 34% to a MBT, increase carry capacity to 3 blocks max (say 200/300/400 certs), and make it so C4 is only "consumed" nanite wise on detonation. Though I think tankers would still complain about some percieved nanite cost balance even if it took way longer to have C4 placed on them, and a single brick or even two wasn't certain death.

edit: oh and for the love of higby let it stick to maxes, and fix the poor tracking on vehicles already
  13. Demigan

You mean that there's very little to defend in ways such as proximity radar, situational awareness (don't tunnel vision constantly), getting a gunner to spot for you, standing near friendly infantry places (they will spot and kill them for you), placing a Spitfire near your tank, moving around every now and then?

While tank mines destroy more vehicles than C4 does. While unlike C4 you don't have to get close while avoiding detection of not only the tank, but every other vehicle and infantry while you get there and place it. With tank mines you can even abuse tiny inclines, potholes and other things in the terrain to make mines unspottable and unseen from your enemy until they stand on top of them.
    Many people also say "it's your own fault if you don't check the vehicle pad for mines". Even though it's just an unreasonable request, especially with tons of bases where you can't remove them easily or even need to exit the base just to see or remove them while getting back to the terminal is going to take you a minute or more, not to mention safety issues that you can actually spawn a tank safely and start fighting instantly while you can barely get to the vehicle launchpad without being shot (see lots of Esamir bases for instance where the terminal and pad are seperated by a big wall and hostile infantry holds up nearby).
    It might be part of another discussion, but if vehicles weren't forced off the pad by an autopilot, without any means of exiting during this time, it should be allowed to place mines around the pad. You can choose yourself where you drive off and even shoot the mines that you see before/when you drive off. then it's reasonable to say "you should have seen it", although it's still a bit a gray area. But that still leaves all the mines that can be placed safely and without much danger sometimes an hour before the tanks arrive in places where they are almost impossible to detect. All the while infantry needs to work hard in dangerous territory to actually place enough C4 and detonate it...
  14. MahouFairy

It means that you can farm those fairies flying towards you.

Can I shout nerf the knives as well? They dish out such a high damage when I'm standing right in front of the enemy, especially when I'm too lazy to check my back. I think that they should be as strong as a punch.

*sarcasm*
  15. MahouFairy

If you already kept on moving, there is no freaking way you would die to C4.
  16. doombro

Actually, yes. The knives need to be way louder. I'm even tempted to say that they're bugged. They were made loud intentionally, however, that didn't at all translate into live gameplay.

Giving C4 an arming sound would not at all cause C4 fairies to get "farmed", but it would at least provide a split second for victims to say "oh s***" before they start yelling at the game and crying for C4 to be nerfed.
  17. MahouFairy

There is a knife that sounds like a chainsaw btw. How loud do you want a knife to be? They are traditionally silent weapons and favoured in stealth, IRL, physics and in common sense. How on earth can you hear a knife's swish when there is gunfire all around you? -.-
  18. Kunavi

Truth of the matter is LAs should not have C4, that'd be a good starting move to balancing it out of the 2 or 3 things that should be changed to achieve that. I mean just that alone could suffice. Problem is, people know that it's exactly the LA which makes it OP and refuse to separate the two issues, getting defensive about it.
    • Up x 1
  19. MahouFairy

So you are saying LAs should just die when faced with a tank? :eek:

Can you tell me how deadly the LA with a C4 is to a vehicle when that vehicle has one or two gunners plus other friendlies constantly watching over your *** and that vehicle is moving every now and then?
  20. _itg

I see where you're coming from, and I definitely think it's annoying that there's no marker as an infantryman when people use c4 as a super-grenade. But really, if there were some warning for vehicle drivers, they'd just move when they saw the marker for the first brick, and you'd never get the second one on them. Maybe if you could place two bricks more quickly, but the detonation delay stayed the same, you could have a c4 marker without totally destroying the ability to c4 tanks.