Change Terran Weapons.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Jan 7, 2015.

1. TheMish

See? But lasers already work, we just need better designs, and technology to make them stronger, and be able to make them smaller so soldiers, and if you're a glorious, amazing, 'murican...civilians.(Take that Europe)

Plasma weapons, I doubt we'll EVER use effectively, seems too hard, too resource demanding, and too excessive for anything we'll need.
  2. MikeyGeeMan

Well why are they still using bullets?

They went through a worm hole.

They have the most Te has they are an established government, yet still use tech from the early 2000s

I bet they get them overpriced from middlemen dealing with the NC...
    • Up x 2
  3. TheMish

Yeah but it's dirty old technology.

Requires CONSTANT maintenance as the parts get dirty as hell, needs constant care since there's a bunch of moving parts.

Versus lasers, which require less maintenance, more energy, and maybe less firepower. But if you're talking about winning a war, will beat bullets.
  4. Deci

Lasers? Sounds like heresy

But aside that, can sword, spear & bow survive as battlefield weapons (materials changed more than designs) for thousands of years I bet the bullet will have just as long lifespan.
  5. z1967

True, but it looks like weapons are made out of nanites now, which lets them get away with all sorts of stuff like no jamming and no maintenance. Not like anyone lives long enough to justify having to maintain gun they then respawn with a brand new one after a few minutes.

But yeah, laser > boolet in pretty much any modern or future context.
  6. Slamz

I've always thought most of Planetside's rather dumb WW2 era weaponry can all be chalked up to nanolathe technology.

A technologically sophisticated civilization can produce tanks with optics and electronics that simply means it never misses. First hit kill on just about everything that isn't very far away and maneuvering very rapidly.

In the Planetside universe, though, nanolathe technology meant that rather than spending $20 million and 3 months to produce 1 super awesome "first hit kill" tank, you can instead nanolathe what is basically a Czech tank from 1936 in about 3 seconds for $2. The nanolathe doesn't have the needed precision to do sophisticated electronics but it's really fast and really cheap. No doubt whatever nation was doing it the first way lost the war to whoever was doing it the second way and thus the Terran Republic was born (the batallion of 1000 high-tech tanks was overrun by literally 10,000,000 nanolathe tanks being driven by incompetent schoolchildren).

NC and VS just adapted the same sloppy mass-production technology to slightly different effect.

This concludes our history lesson for the day.
    • Up x 1
  7. Enguzrad

Looks more like this is how it sounds when steel bolts hit stuff. The actual gun seems to be silent.

On the topic, if you want more dakka without huge cone of fire, just add second barrel on the gun. Double dakka with the same CoF (specifically two cones on top of one other, so half dakka in the head and half in the body, still would be great on longer range where you won't hit head anyway).
  8. TheMish

Nanites?

It's teleporting material, or creating it.

But it's still very much a physical, piece of metal, that's subject to being damaged.

Where it comes from, I don't know. It's probably technology that teleports materials, and puts them into whatever is desired.
  9. Neo3602

Your idea could be interesting OP, though I would prefer that it be implemented as an empire specific attachment that would come with some upsides and down sides, instead of a faction wide infantry weapon change.
  10. AlterEgo

Thing is, it's not going to be a BEAM weapon, just a laser one, with projectiles that look like the 60s era assault rifles the Germans in The New Order employ to kill Blazko. It's going to increase fire rate and accuracy, but suffer a slight damage penalty at range considering that lasers, like plasma, will dissipate over time. Of course you can have some more powerful laser weapons to do the job at longer ranges, but they'll still lose more damage compared to the NC or VS equivalents. Velocity will remain the same, there WILL be a CoF, it's just that accuracy and RoF are improved. Only if NC rounds traveled at supersonic speeds and VS guns had four meter splash would I consider giving the TR no CoF. Realism would be awesome in terms of projectile types (Electromagnetically enhanced Gauss rounds, contained plasma masses, and lasers), but balance does come first unless the devs are willing to make such changes.
  11. AlterEgo

Not only would that save time for the devs, but it will also give people a choice of whether or not higher RoF and accuracy is worth the decreased effectiveness at range. Good point; it's better for a laser attachment rather than a laser weapon to exist.
    • Up x 2
  12. Tetholin

Oh Emperor, please give us Lasguns!

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. AlterEgo

Patience, my Terran nemesis! Your colleagues are discussing the consequences of such a massive change. I may have suggested the idea, but it is my idea that is YOURS to choose! If you want ze lasers, tell your brethren about them!
  14. TheMish

In a video game...

In real life, by the time you draw an arrow, a bullet would've torn your head off.
  15. Lord_Avatar

Technically, *every* laser weapon is a beam weapon. "Burst lasers" simply fire off said beams in repeated (very short) intervals. Given the speed at which light travels there would be no projectiles to speak off - "payload" delivery would be instant.
  16. AlterEgo

As I said...
    Screw realism. Balance comes first...
    Whatever that means:p
    I mean, laser weaponry would be Star Wars style, only with a MUCH higher rate of fire, and accuracy shouldn't be Imperial-esque bad. I really would love to give the TR hitscan weapons, only if the NC had weapons that instantly destroyed your shield or if the VS had weapons which had 4 meter splash that melted anything in the radius, etc.
  17. LordTankT9

Give me M-7, I want to spew infinite lead!!!!

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. Lord_Avatar

You know what - I like your idea, I really do, but let's face it - it's not happening. If meant to be realistic (the laser "project") SOE would need to redesign the principles of PS2 gunplay from scratch only to accomodate that one change; not to mention outfitting the NC/VS with equally sensible alternatives. And if realism is not a concern then why bother changing anything in the first place? PS2 has it's problems, but the game as a whole seems to be holding up fairly well.
  19. AlterEgo

Bruh.
    Do you think SOE knows I exist? Most of the threads I come up with are related to empire specific stuff. I overreact, get carried away, and come up with the most awesome yet most improbable stuff ever. Thanks for the honesty, though:D
  20. Hammerlock

[IMG]
    even titus from the ultramarines using a jackhammer ...