reasons why I won't renew my subscription

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gibstormv2, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Gibstormv2

This is not a Planetside 2 sucks thread. I really like this game. I have played this game from launch and spent over 200 dollars on subscription fees. I would keep my subscription for no other reason than to support the game but there is a few reason why I won't.

The biggest reason Rental/P2W Systems(implants)

It's clear that money is becoming an issue for this game and we are going to have to decided what direction we want the game to go in. I HATE rental systems. If I buy something I want to keep it forever. I don't want to constantly spend money every week just to use certain items. I also don't like P2W it is a lazy way to make money by punishing the player base. You either pay money to remain at 100% power or you start to slide into a disadvantage. That is a system I won't support no matter how small the advantage is.

Balance Issues.

I am not talking about small balance issues. I understand that balance is hard and the game will never be perfect. I am talking about HUGE ones that last for longer period of time and most of the community can see coming before they even go live. Stuff like the ZoE and the Striker which have been a broken mess since they were created.

Bugs

Again, I am not talking about small bug. I am talking about huge bug like breaking alerts for the whole X-mas break. How does something like that get missed in testing??

My biggest issue is that the game seems to be headed to a rental/pay2win system when there are MANY ways to make money that have not been tried yet. Has this stuff not been tried because of technical limitations??

Charge 5 dollars for stuff like
    Name changes
    Stat Resets
    Cert Refunds

Sell new models for
    Vehicles
    Planes
    Turrets

Sell new reload animations for guns
    Sell new sounds for guns.

Sell new skins for grenades and C4 with a custom explosion

Sell Custom Banners let the players make them for you and sell them in the store.

Give players with a subscription early access to new weapons and vehicles for a week or 2.
    • Up x 10
  2. Flapatax

Asset creation takes time and money, the implant changes are relatively low effort.

I assume that reddit and these forums are a vocal minority, and SOE has the analytics showing this new system generates revenue. That doesn't mean I'll continue to support it, however.
  3. PurpleHIppo

how are implants pay to win? im still rolling without implants and i never feel like it really affects me.
    • Up x 3
  4. FieldMarshall

Dont really care about the bad performance and bugs as much.
    But here are reasons i wont renew:

Just got BR100.

Dont like getting milked, tricked and treated like crap.
    (anniversary fail, implant drop stealth nerf hoping nobody will know, removing top voted stuff from the roadmap and hope people wont notice, buy 6 camos and get a super special one free that we ofcourse wont let you know what looks like beforehand etc. etc. Could write 10 pages about all the stuff soe's done)

Horrible community management and communication. While boasting about "great communication with the playerbase"
    (Here, go on my twitter reddit facebook secret homepage to find out about the recently released rename tokens that people really want but we wont tell them about. Want info on upcomming events and stuff. Too bad. And so on.)

Really hate that they constantly try to screw loyal customers over, and tries to figure out how to best bleed them dry.
    Have played their games for over 10 years and it hasent changed at all.
    Would have thought they learned that it doesent work in the long run by now. Certainly hasent for all their other games.
    • Up x 1
  5. Devrailis

Implants? What implants?
  6. Gibstormv2

I am sure you find more spelling mistake than that. My spelling and grammar is very poor.

Curse you my much younger self for not paying attention in grade school
  7. Konstantinn

Why would you ever roll without implants?

I have no boosts, just a membership and have no problem keeping T3 implants running at all times. I have 11 ultra chargers sitting there and a collection of pretty much all T3 implants, that's 24k energy each. Just combine 5 T1 implants into T2 implants, and 5 T2 implants into T3, then T2+T3 (one of each) implants at the end of a play session to get ultra chargers, you never have to worry about energy. LITERALLY EVER. It takes like 60 seconds to do this after hours of playing before logging off, it's not like it's a huge chore.

And i'm just an average player, it's not like my K/D is through the roof or anything. I'm just saying if I can do it, so can anyone. The system is very very simple, if you can't figure it out.... I'm sorry but it sounds like a personal issue rather than a game issue.

I haven't messed with T4 implants yet, but could probably keep them running at all times too.
  8. Xind

Since the changes, the amount of tier 1 implants dropping is so incredibly low, acquiring the FIVE tier 2 to make that single tier 3 has not happened once for me.
    • Up x 1
  9. Gibstormv2

Are you better if you can hold your breath forever??? Are you better if you have less flinch and shake. The answer is yes. If you reward companies for using these tools to make money. They won't ever stop using them. They keep getting worse and added to more games.

Can you work around them and out play people. Yes you can. But you can do even better if you have them
    • Up x 2
  10. Devrailis

That was not a nitpick on your spelling or grammar. I simply do not find implants to have a significant impact on gameplay. A player who is going to spend $$$ on T4 implants is still going to die as fast to whatever choice of cheese/spam/bacon you choose as that BR 1 with no implants whatsoever. T4 implants are not going to make a terrible player great and they're not the reason skilled players are already good.

I have not been in any situation where after being outplayed or outgunned by another player, I can definitively sit down and say "I lost that engagement because of his implant". I can say that it is because I over-committed, or because my aim was off and I lost the damage race, or because I wasn't watching my flank, but to blame it on the other guy's implants? That would be a huge stretch.

What this means is very simple. Anyone can pay for implants if they want, since I do not believe they offer a significant advantage, I don't see this as pay to win.

There are many things that I wish PS2 could do better, but as someone who does not hold (and has never held) a subscription and who has never bought weapons with SC, I am very happy with PS2's level of "pay-to-win".
  11. Gibstormv2

Do you think this is where it ends??? If players accept this they make it worse. They will push it as far as we will let them.

We have to show companies that fun games and awesome content is how you make money. Not by creating artificial power gaps you pay to get rid of
  12. Slamz

The only implant I really think is worth the trouble is EOD, if you like to drive vehicles. And maybe hold breath, for snipers.

Protection from stun grenades used to be good but now that stun grenades aren't explode on impact, they're pretty easy to avoid anyway (not that many people use them).

Reduced flinching.... flinching used to be a bigger deal but somewhere along the lines, they nerfed it. It's a VERY minor difference with and without flinch protection.

Reduced falling damage... useful for LA, especially for bailing out of planes, but not exactly a big deal.

All the rest: garbage. Regen, maybe, once in a blue moon when there's no medic around and you can't get to a terminal and you can hide for long enough for regen to kick in??

Implants are hardly pay to win. They are a far cry from PS1 where implants were so many times more powerful.
  13. Devrailis

The part in red is true, and here was my glib response to another poster (and his post "likes") who I felt was off the mark in terms of highlighting things that he thought were important for the game.

Smedly comments on Implant changes: "sorry but we are actually trying to make money"

There are some changes that could be made to PS2 that would cause me to instantly support it to the full extent, which I feel are lacking. However these implant changes are not something that I am bothered by.

New players are disadvantaged primarily by experience/knowledge because of this game's learning curve. The ability to buy new gunz or shiny things or even implants isn't going to improve their gameplay experience or skill. They're certainly not going to stop a new player from running out into HE spam in a tower or getting farmed by that BR100 Vanu twitch god. In fact, frontloading all of these options on them is only going to make things worse as they spend certs/money on weapons and toys that dilute from the important upgrades that will help them.

Players that are new or are struggling should be encouraged to focus on finding the right class they are comfortable with, and then work on attachments and suit/class upgrades that will help them continue to earn more certs and learn the experience they need to grow as players.

The cert upgrades that make this possible can be earned via playing the game and the experience that they require can also be learned via playing the game and being in a supportive outfit. These are not things that you need to pay to acquire, you just need the right attitude, persistence, and again, outfit or team-mate support.

These are things that having to pay for implants have next to no impact on.
  14. FateJH

Yes, but none of that has anything to do with how insignificant and circumstantial what few benefits you get from implants are.
    • Up x 1
  15. Gibstormv2

Again, This is why people hate F2P games. This is how it starts.

It's already been said. That if you think implants are P2W you might not like future things that are coming. Where do you draw the line?? When does P2W become too much.
    • Up x 1
  16. FateJH

But that's the point. You and I have already made our minds up. No matter what the other says, there's no way either of us will convince the other under what kind of category implants fall. So if you're convinced this is what pay to win looks like, and no one can convince you otherwise--I shouldn't need to finish this sentence, because the conclusion is obvious.
    (Postscript. I apply to the game theory that things called pay to win are really only pay to win if payment immediately creates a solid impassable wall between the money spender and the freeloader that the freeloader will never be able to surmount or replicate unless he pays more. Ignore the No True Scotsman fallacy at work or we'll never come to acknowledge that we each have different definitions.)

You mean "even if you don't use implants," right? Of course, if I really don't use implants, I have no reason or intention to do the thing you suggested anyway, though I thank you for trying to offer the advice since you think it helps.
  17. Gibstormv2

If I have battle harden lvel 4 how is that not a clearly advantage in a gun fight between us??

Right, I can't stop you from accepting this, but have fun while it gets worse. Some people love P2W cause they love stomping player with money that doesn't make it wrong. I just don't like that style of game.

The only thing I can do is say I don't like it and support games that don't use this tactic to make money.

For my P2W means paying money to increase your effectiveness against players who don't pay money
    • Up x 1
  18. Auzor

IMO:
    an example of implant usage for me:
    heavy, C4, regen T1 implant.
    Now, if I barely survive an encounter and stay alive a bit, I get back to full health.

However, if I want that sort of thing, shouldn't I have to run medkits?

Anti-flinch,
    EOD-detector,
    Anti-conc & anti-flash,
    Hold breath..
    -> completely undesireable for me for being in game.
    ("flinch" should be lowered however)

Here's a good laugh: I think it is the T3 fall damage reduction that states "lethal fall damage now happens around 120m".
    What??? So, you can drop 100 meters down, pop a medkit, and good to go!
    NO that sort of crap shouldn't be in the game for starters.
    Similarly, it allows "bailers" quite some margin of error to bail out, C4 something and survive despite running out of jetpack power, or a non-LA to bail & survive, without the ejection seat.
    On the other hand: I am NOT a bouncy rubber bal on a hill side. I die, die die repeatedly to the stupid bouncy & slide down effect; but that is CRAP that is in the game. I most certainly don't want an implant to counter CRAP.
    FIX the crap.

Overall: a better game requires the removal of all implants.
    Just how much /month / player do you need SoE to keep servers running? It can't be 15$/month, as it seems to me there are more F2P as "premium" members. And of the premium members, I imagine most go for longer duration subscriptions, lowering the cost.
    1$? 2? 3? 5? -> Scratch this CRAP F2P- P2W, remove implantside, 3$ minimum/month. This gives you 300 SC/month, none of the "premium" advantages. Hell, give weak "daily certs" without accumulation, for example membership goes 24-48 certs/day. 3$ gives you 10 certs/day upon logging in. (1/5th approx of the "max" for membership).
    Now, one "good" life for me gets me 10 certs (amazing I know :oops:); but if the result of the above is the death of implants I am completely in favor.

In return, you can ditch a lot of the nickle-and-diming;
    implement mouseyaw,
    balance patches (hello ES max abilities!; burst fire weapons, semi-auto snipers,..)
    performance patches,
    and get some MEANING into the game.
    Why attack a base, why fight? Base redesigns, no spawnroom shelling; defendable bases instead of bases that favor attackers.

As far as I'm concerned: perhaps leave the resource system as is; re-implement vehicle timers.
    Now, sundy's would get some semblance of balance by having a quite long lockout time.
    During the "lockout" you can however spawn a new vehicle; but there is an extra cost.
    Spawning a sundy, drive it into tank mines; go to spawn a new one: it is now 400 nanites.
    Over say.. 10 minutes, this slowly drops; down to 200 again.
    Got a tech plant? Now it drops over 7 minutes.
    One specific possibility: the timer only starts ticking after you lose the vehicle.
    Or, it ticks halfway; then restarts if you lose the vehicle.
    Or; it ticks SLOOOOW; over 30minutes. But, lose the vehicle and it speeds up.
    A sundy with a 200 nanite cost is an incredible good deal; so there the "lockout" should be enormous. Or, specifically for the sundy, the cost goes up to 600 nanites.
    So many balancing possibilities..

Above are only examples;

a "variable resource income" implementation means "spawned an mbt, then a lightning.. now I'm infantry and... can't get a grenade???".
    The above means you can spawn another mbt (if you have the nanites); but hopefully it will encourage "switching it up";
    "hmm.. ESF is now 550 nanites.. maybe I'll pull a valk".
    More variety in vehicles used in game;
  19. FateJH

If I shoot you dead regardless, how has that Battle Hardened helped you? And that's my point: Battle Hardened doesn't automatically win you an engagement. If we encountered low level alts of each other at close range and you had a Baron (from another character) and I just had a default TRAC-5, is it still P2W if you miss your shots?

Edit: I wanted to say the NS shotgun but it came out as the NC Directive. :confused:
  20. Gibstormv2

P2W includes paying for an advantage. It is not just. slapping on god mode vs players that don't pay
    • Up x 1