[Suggestion] Remove ability to Drive or Fly from all classes....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FBVanu, Dec 29, 2014.

1. FBVanu

I thought this might deserve its own thread.

As proposed by several players, let's add one more Class.

The "Pilot". That class drives or flies, except for the Flash. Anyone can drive the Flash, (well, unless you are a MAX and you would literally crush the cute little ATV.. )

But if you want to fly or drive anything else, you need to be a "Pilot".
    No more Heavys flying ESFs.. no more LAs driving Tanks.. etc..

Pilot has the ability to repair their vehicle
    Only has a secondary weapon
    No turrets, no mines, no ammo packs.. none of that.
    You want to drive or fly, be a Pilot. You need a ride, ask a Pilot.. nicely.

Could support / require more team work ?
    • Up x 8
  2. HadesR

I'd do it different within the current class set up ..

I'd make it so every class but Engi's can use a vehicle .. Then you have real team work having to rely on others for repairs :)..

Ofc it would also promote more 2/2 MBT's as the secondary spot would be used by an Engi
    • Up x 1
  3. Elrobochanco

Why? The last thing this game needs is more people who only stay in vehicles rather than help their team/the objective.

Why not ask to remove SMGs, sidearms, recon tools, and stalker cloaks from infiltrators. So they can be free, free from being useful.
    • Up x 9
  4. SpruceMoose

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. BobSanders123

First make it so vehicles can actively participate in a battle besides sitting outside the tower and occasionally shooting some rounds into a doorway.
    • Up x 2
  6. Foxirus

No. Its hard enough getting people to leave their vehicles to get crap done outside of farming a fortress. We do not need a dedicated class for cowards and campers to scared to leave their armored box to go in and grab a point.
    • Up x 1
  7. NMDanny

8. jstrecu

Lol, hell no....

It's nice to have your engie for tanking and use UBSG to escape or to try to get close to the enemy tank that just destroyed yours, and to put mines/C4 on it.
    It's nice to have your engie/LA flying and use ejection seat to place mines/C4 under those skyguards that just destroyed your ESF
    It's nice to look for a specific tanker you know is farming infantry with HE with your Light Assault in an ESF and jump out to C4 him
    It's nice to troll other pilots using Heavy with lockons in your ESF and terminate them as a payback after they've won a dogfight

Why are so many people insisting in removing fun from the game?
    Planetside is already dying and becoming repetitive as it is, don't try to make it worse because you don't like how other people play.
    Games like PS2 need various ways to deal with a situation, if you only have one it becomes easier, predictable, and boring.

Stop being selfish you people, stop this trend of threads asking to fix things that aren't broken just because you don't like them.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xind

*Checks loadout names for Engineer*

Yep.
    One of them is named "Pilot" and is configured to best suit that role.
    Staggering turn of events.
  10. Leftconsin

Seems like you are making a very narrow class to solve a problem that.... I really don't think is a problem.
    As already stated:
    - Anyone who drives any vehicle to a base immediately becomes useless once they get to the base.
    - Any infantry load out on a driver class is pretty irrelevant because they are in the vehicle.
    - Makes Triage even worse than it already is.
    - Anyone who cares about people bailing out of ESFs they shoot down are just here to stat pad KDR.
    - I seriously do have an infil loadout named "Flash Driver"
  11. GoyoElGringo

Seems pretty unnecessary. If this were a game with a deep class system where you picked a specialty in the beginning, and then you mastered it, that would be cool. But the game would also have to be built around that for it to work.
  12. cykael

No issues here.
  13. JustBoo

This is not directed at the OP, it's a general statement.

To address the edited quote above. I think too many people are using this game as a form of a Job or Second Life. Players are demanding people be banned for days, weeks, months, forever, because they don't play the way they want? Seriously?

Embrace the Chaos man. If anyone thinks war is neat, tidy and linear they are sadly mistaken. It's controlled chaos, and that is a part of the game I really like. Coming over a ridge and seeing dozens, if not hundreds, of players all doing different things is a kick for me. Sometimes it's an epic scene of total random chaos. Everyone is doing what they desire and hopefully having fun.

Stop trying to control everything. (Let go Luke.)

But 'you' say: Boo, you are trying to tell me how to play now! No, I am telling 'you' to let others play the way they want and YOU should be able to play the way YOU want. Easy. Enjoy. (The Epic part of PS2 is what keeps me coming back.)
    • Up x 1
  14. Kociboss

@OP

Wow, that would be boring.

No more Air vs Air decimator shots?
  15. Colakold

A driver class is almost useless because we dont need troop transport in this games. Players spawn at deployed sundys or they use redeploy. If we have a game without multiple spawn functions and the need for transport to get from A to B we can talk about the driver class.
  16. patrykK1028

Any reasons why LA in a tank isnt OK?
  17. Crayv

I think he was just using that as an example.

In PS1 you could only get into some vehicles if you were wearing light armor. Which except for the movement speed increase was a direct downgrade from the heavy armor.
  18. Zagareth

Nice idea, but no.

If I cant fly my ESF to silently jump off as Infiltrator to my sniping spot, then I'd get pissed - that would be a dealbreaker for me and I'd quit playing PS.

My 2 cents
  19. The_Blazing

This was proposed a few times in a few different flavours, such as engineers being the only ones capapable of driving vehicles.

The idea of having a class that can use vehicles but is mostly unarmed would be cool... especially in an aircraft, getting shot down and miraculously surviving the impact with only your pistol in your hands would definitely give that "shot down pilot who must survive against all odds" feel...

Unfortunately, the game hasn't really been balanced towards that, and removing content (IE the ability for anyone to drive a vehicle) just to make room for an idea that came later during development is generally a bad thing to do in videogame design in general.

What I will say however, instead of removing driving ability from current classes, why not add this "pilot" class, but instead of making it the only class that can drive, make it have special perks that it can use while driving. For example, ESF pilots could get an improved ejection system that allows them to control their fall, or a special empire-specific perk for their fighter (since those are ES already), tank drivers would get a bail out system (like Titanfall) or an independent fire suppression system which can be equipped in addition to your normal utility slot.
  20. MarvinGardens

I don't know about you, but I don't see an abundance of empty vehicles parked outside a capture point because the pilots wanted to "help hold a point" as it is. They always form a circle jerk around the spawn rooms and spam the doorways. Even on the levels where you can't even get into the base with vehicles, they just circle around outside just within the radius to get points for the capture. I don't think making a pilot class or preventing engineers from piloting vehicles will change any of that. A better argument is that making a pilot class wouldn't change a damn thing.