Let's Talk: Movement Meta :

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Dec 26, 2014.

1. HadesR

Note: This thread is not about accusations or finger pointing so plz leave that at the door

From here :
    http://www.themittani.com/features/planetside-2-recursions-hell-march

And a comments from playing to day ( Note TR from Aus playing on USA West so normal high ping is possible )

[IMG]
    [IMG]

So what is peoples take on it ?

Fact ?
    Fiction ?
    Regardless of whether it's switching or " legal " exploiting of game systems ( IE: Tribes Skiing ) is it something SOE need to address ?
    Or something players should learn like the reverse maneuver ?
    Or just a simple excuse for lagging ?

So views , thoughts , opinions ?
  2. Villanuk

In many cases its just lag, the server merges have created that problem. I have seen more "laggers" since the merge , certainly on Miller where I play. Of course some may lag switch, it was typical in Cod and other games but in reality I think its a very small problem for those that do this.
  3. HadesR

Oh yeah and I'm not intending ( hopefully ) that this thread turns into a mud slinging contest of " he / she cheats " ..

Just thought the " movement meta " claims and counter claims might be a worthwhile interesting side discussion and make a change from the buff/nerf calls :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Villanuk

You don't want "mud slinging" on a topic in this forum good luck buddy ;)

Joking apart, its a case of proving what people see or believe, the same as hackers people need evidence.
    • Up x 2
  5. HadesR

It's Christmas .. One can hope .. Season of good will and all that .. :p
    • Up x 3
  6. FateJH

That poor S-AMS.
    • Up x 4
  7. Elrobochanco

I think it's dumb that some people are trying to equate it with emergent gameplay like skiing or rocket jumping which it is not. Skiing made a crap game (sorry tribes was without it) a fully different and amazing game. Giving yourself an erratic hitbox while appearing to phase through walls isn't going to make any shooting game better, there is no enhanced gameplay element to it. It's a meta game the way flipping a table is a meta game in TCGs, it's accomplishing something and that's that nobody will want to play with you.

However it's triggered I can't believe anyone would try to justify it as a good thing for the game, or even be proud of it.
    • Up x 9
  8. Crashsplash

So 'movements that no one else can do' and 'spent a lot of time on the pts' sound pretty non-specific. What is he doing? Warping?

Intentionally warping or exploiting the netcode in any way is an 'exploit' and always has been.

ps skiing in tribes was an exploit too so I've heard except that the devs decided to embrace it.
    • Up x 2
  9. pnkdth

Is there an actual recording of this somewhere? Unless I see something tangible I'm going to dismiss this as b***hurt and hyperbole.
    • Up x 1
  10. TheBurningLegion

This is a game where everyone is an Olympic Sprinter and anyone can just matrix their way through bullets and escape. There is no 'meta' in this game.

For there to be skill in any sort of movement, you'd need to make every weapon hitscan - none of this muzzle velocity crap. Then players who dodge, do so by forcing the other player to ACTUALLY miss their shots and not rely on the game doing it for them.
    • Up x 2
  11. _itg

I'd feel a little better about this "movement meta" thing if the guys who do it would put out an instructional video. If it's not cheating, they should want others to learn it, since higher-level competition makes the game more interesting for everyone.
    • Up x 2
  12. Klypto

If you watch the gameplay videos of who the OP is talking about before he deleted them, you quickly realize he actually does far less "movement meta" than what other players do, if at all, yet achieves unreachable levels of warpiness.

Right after this was pointed out the person in question deleted all of the videos and the outfit mate then deleted their post.

Nothing screams BS more than that.
    • Up x 9
  13. pnkdth

Anyone managed to DL/mirror those vids before they were taken down?
    • Up x 2
  14. Klypto

Not that I know of. It was on twtich.
  15. Alarox

It's called having a bad connection so your opponent's movement prediction makes you move farther and faster than you should.

Having a bad connection should never be a bonus. It is laughably easy to exploit.
    • Up x 3
  16. miraculousmouse

From the gifs and videos I've seen Atherum was a laggy mfer and that type of "movement" is only because of him throttling his connection. You can't practice the stuff he did.
    • Up x 1
  17. Mustarde

Don't forget following it all up with the following condemnations from the high mountain of superiority that is Recursion:

-You guys are all toxic
    -We never cared about competing
    -We only exist to play on live server where we can farm disorganized casuals
    -Atherum's movement is easy to replicate, he showed me, but it is just really really really hard to do and takes lots of practice so that's why no one else can do it
    -We are dropping out of the finals at the last minute after making sure you all know how toxic you are
    -Did we mention that we never cared about competing, even though we practice a ton and made our way to the finals? WE NEVER CARED YOU GUYS ARE TOXIC
    • Up x 10
  18. Typhoeus

Missed the drama. Are we talking about lag compensation? Like in Wrel's video?

If so, are we now talking about light assaults? Because these are the worst offenders of exploiting this I've come to find. Especially those with drifter jump jets. That said, I'll sprint around pillars/cover or sprint and serpentine when caught out in the open to exploit this server weakness myself. Everyone can do this so it's fair game in my books. It's dumb that this exists but I don't think there's much more SOE can do on their end.

If people purposefully lag themselves out on their end with third party programs to further exploit this weakness, that's a whole other story.
    • Up x 1
  19. Klypto

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2p2nps/the_gingerbread_man/
    • Up x 4
  20. Crashsplash

We don't know, there's no real explanation and no video evidence so we're left to surmise.

**edit just seen that video, if that was done purposely which it seems like then it's an exploit.