MAXes have too much HP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Dec 25, 2014.

1. uhlan

Here are the problems with MAX suits as I see it.

1. Like every combat multiplier in PS2, the MAX suit doesn't scale well. In times of low pop at a base they can be devastating. Get a real battle going and poof MAX suits die as fast any other class of infantry.

2. The second issue has to do with the players themselves. Much like the HA hate, MAX suits have venom spit on them often because players NEVER want to change classes to have a better chance to deal with a particular threat in a given circumstance.

A competant light assault wouldn't think about attacking a well certed HA on open ground more often than not. The LA would choose terrain suitable for an attack which suits their class. Attacks from unconventional directions is the LA's forte.

The same goes with MAX suits. If you don't have the luxury of a large battle to mask your activities, you need to attack the MAX by overwhelming its resistances quickly. So you use high damage weaponry such as rockets or C4.

If you and your buddy decide to attack the MAX with your pistol and a knife... go ahead, but be warned... not all MAX drivers are scrubs.

Because of the resource system and the game ethic which allows everyone to pull anything at any time you will often find battles that are completely at odds with your chosen form of game-play.

The game is about adapting to the situation and the enemy when the pop at a base is low. When the pop is high, it's about spam and who has more of it.
  2. volth

I hit a max 4-5 times with the new ripper knife activated and it only did 25%dmg on the NC max lol
  3. Dethfield

Deal. With. It.

And yes, there are ways to deal with it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Trebb

If people aren't in maxes, chances are they are running around as HA(double so if you're Vanu). It's the current state of the game. SO, needless to say, a max outside a building doesn't last long. And once people know he's in there, prepare for the door juke--->Rocket launcher to the face.
  5. mer1c

Well, a dead MAX being revived/repaired is a very good idea! Only engis should be able to revive/repair a disabled MAX.
  6. thenewbie

Dangit, I was gonna say that....
  7. 60rockstar

uh, TR MAX needs MORE HP and the ability to deliver MORE damage.
    Their value is extremely situational (primarily AA if you can find a safe spot to lockdown, good luck with that). They are typical TR weapons; they make a lot of noise, fire a lot of ammo, but can't hit anything outside of about 10 meters.

I seldom pull a MAX anymore; I feel lucky if I get one kill before I die, especially against NC.

Who thought locking a MAX to the ground would be a good special ability anyway!?

My experience playing against VS and NC MAX:
    - both are generally instant death to TR infantry caught in the open
    - NC MAX are hard as #$%& to bring down with TR rifles

but I wouldn't change either of these factions, just tweak the TR MAX
  8. 60rockstar

It currently takes a medic AND an engineer.

The medic revives the man, the engineer repairs the mechanized suit.

When a medic revives a MAX the MAX has almost zero HP.
    It is a dead MAX walking and completely useless until an engineer does the repairs.
    • Up x 1
  9. The_Blazing

Constructiveness: 11/10

"It's OK"

-IGN

Aside from my bad jokes... I think that the problem is that MAX counters are not well-defined enough... I only discovered after a few months of playing that C4 does a ridiculous amount of damage to them... Similarily, it doesn't say anywhere that AV grenades deal much more damage to MAXes than standard frags... They have all these snazzy in-game tips during loading screens but I have never seen one saying "Use ROCKETS, C4 and AV GRENADES to kill max units".

MAXes are classified as infantry but in terms of damage resistances they are actually treated as vehicles... And they don't say that anywhere in the game.
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

i still don't understand the problem, every second plays as HA, most players has c4 - if you cant deal with enemy MAX, then go support players who can
  11. WUNDER8AR

I'm alright with their HP I guess. What grinds my gears is that, unless you're a LA, you can't avoid running into a MAX because #1 you can pull a it from every single infantry terminal in the game and people happily do so even in situations where MAX support is totally overkill and #2 they can go wherever everyone else can go. Vehicles can be avoided completely which is good because it's a major stress factor for infantry play. The same should apply to MAXs for the same reasons. I would like to see MAX spawns to be in some way restricted. Perhaps in form of their own spawn terminals. These terminals would be available only at AMP stations, Bio Labs, Tech plants and all 3-4 point bases. Every other base would not have permanent access to MAX units. Sundy drivers needed to cert into a MAX spawn module or something and give up a utility in return to make MAX spawns availabe to their team. Then, for all I care, you can reduce their cost to like 300 nanites or so. Then the revive-ability of MAXs actually makes sense gameplay wise. Then you could even buff them a bit (although I don't really think this is needed)

I gotta say though, I like the idea of increasing their HP at the expense of less firepower. That is exactly how I would imagine a MAX if I didn't know the game already.
    • Up x 1
  12. Leftconsin

Maybe he thinks that is the new meta.
  13. Blippy

If MAXes are made to be impossible to revive, then they need a massive boost to survivability or a resource cost reduction.
  14. Fortress

They have too much of everything, not just HP.

If it was just HP, there would not be a problem. Oh, and ignore the "lol i solo maxes all the time" crowd because no they don't.
  15. iller

Gotta disagree... MAXes have too quick of a TTK, both as the killer and as the target of C4 damage.
    IE: need to be made more like traditional MMO Tanks instead of Berzerker mechs.

If they're C4 fairies, then yes they're right and the Metrics back them up every month
  16. KnightCole

I will gladly trade in 30% of the MAX's Bullet resistance for a 150% drop to it's explosive vulnerability.

So, 50% bullet resistance, and no headshot damage, for the MAXes massive buff against explosive damage.
  17. Halkesh

Maxes have 2000 hp
    80% resistance to small weapon (10 000 EHP)
    90% resistance to knife (20 000 EHP)

How to kill them easily :
    -6 bolt action headshot (75% resistance to sniper rifle, don't increase with kinetic)
    -1 AV grenade (hug the MAX, use your OP shield to don't die and stick the grenade on him, then run away)
    -1 C4
    -2 Rockets (didn't try the striker against MAX, but it should be that bad)
    -Lasher splash (isn't small weapon damage type)
    -Semi / Full-auto shotgun (useless against kinetic armored MAX)
    -Attrition : kill the medic and the engineer
  18. Caydn

Please go away this thread is a embarrassment to your fellow NC.
  19. Prudentia

well thats why i had a suggestion some time ago to change the max turn value of the MAX. there is only so much you can do with tweaking damage output and input from and against certain sources untill you have to start and change how the unit as a whole behaves.
    currently MAXes are just instaturn Magriders which fit into building, so to even start proper Balance we have to turn them into normal Magriders which fit into building.
  20. amega

;)