[Vehicle] How do YOU counter the Vulcan-H?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Doc Jim, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Evoo

As far as i've seen vulcan harrasers during gameplay, have faster ttk on a blockade sundy than a titan 150.
  2. asmodraxus

By

A) being TR
    B) Redeploy out when you see said Harasser Vulcan and find an NC-VS exclusive fight
  3. ronjahn

I'm not good with TTK numbers or else I would do the math myself, but I have a strong suspicion this statement is false.

Can anyone break this down into numbers?

Either way, when talking Titan 150, I am going to assume you are talking about a MBT with a gunner, in which case MBT always wins this race. If you want to balance these weapons based on soloing, then you have zero support from me.
  4. breeje

i have seen once or twice a complaint about the HA and infil, LA, medic, max
    and i also believe every class needs something to call there own
    a little game experience will get a long way against other classes
    my statement is, don't nerf things because you don't understand it
  5. Trebb

I always seem to get a brain dead gunner. Today for instance, I was bumper-to-rear to a Vanguard, I knew his shields were down, and I just sat there for *literally* 15 seconds, 0m away from it, spotting the Vanguard over and over before my vulcan gunner turned 180 and started firing. Hell of a time for Proximity chat to still be broken. Luckily the Vanguard was equally as bad, and didn't know a harasser was on his bumper. Just bad all around.

I actually have more success with a stealth flash and my infiltrator, picking off wounded tanks. I agree both playstyles are annoying if you're on the receiving end.
  6. Corezer

AP lightnings

1 AP lightning of any kind will usually lose to 1 ESAV harasser, but 3 AP lightnings with side armor will eat 3 harassers of any kind.
  7. Dethfield

I tend to do just fine in my AP lightning against a single ESAV harasser.
    • Up x 1
  8. bl33ping

i use T4 eod hud. i rarely die to mines in my harry. i'm also looking for them constantly and if i see one that my eod hud isn't close enough for and i can't stop, i just turbo over the mine. :)
  9. K2k4

when I play vulcan harasser I usually die to MBT's. Most of the lightnings I run into are kitted for AI, but they pose less of a threat than AP lightnings for sure.

Mines are a real pain in the butt especially when I'm already under pressure and don't have the time to watch for them driving.
    • Up x 1
  10. vortex-5

I'm pretty sure they're are a bit out of balance the Vulcan Synergizes a bit too well with the harasser due to the low cost of error and high speed of projectiles (not to mention volume).

Other empires can't really match that weapon right now so most are looking for an asymmetric counter.

I'm surprised at all the Learn 2 Play comments on here it's honestly as bad as the ESF Learn 2 fly comments. Seems this game has continuous entitlement issues. If we truly wish to keep this asymmetric balance than the other empire specific weapons need a bit of a tweak failing that we should just hope they undo their unintended buff.

I agree we shouldn't panic and suddenly have them do even more of a nerf it would be better for them to return the harasser variant back to where it was. I think that would be sufficient and leave the prowler version if you really get snuck up on for that one then I agree your situational awareness is low. Harasser is a different story it can actually just land on top of you with a clever jump due to wacky physics.

As for asymmetric balance it's a bit too hard to introduce it now that we've had symmetric balance for so long. You'll need to give other empires balanced advantages at the same time to increase their overall effectiveness. Seeing how we spent more than a year removing empire specific advantages I think that's a hard thing to undo without failing in all directions. How do I know we've achieved balance? Well simple everyone was a bit unhappy that's how you know things are unbalanced or a compromised has been reached.
    • Up x 1
  11. DarknessPulse

Lancer master race counters Vulcan Harassers (any kind of Harraser), as long as you have line of sight and decent aim. Kind of fun to snipe retreating Harassers who think they are safe from danger.
    • Up x 2
  12. Alabammer

As a person who runs harassers every day, including the Vulcan, can I just say that this whole thing about Vulcan-H harassers being op is crap. I'm being completely honest here, when Its just me and my gunner (not running with more than one harasser) it feels like the only difference is that all the overextending people or people in the back of the pack that I love to pick off died a bit faster, but the Vulcan was good for that beforehand. The biggest change is that now the vulcan can still do damage at mid range so i dont have to be right next to whatever Im ambushing..... Im still ambushing and I feel that 90% of the stuff I kill would still have died to the previous version of the V-H, but nobody talks about how the TR have been starved for a fun empire specific weapon, so when one finally becomes viable of course everybody is gonna use it. I used it before the buff and loved having an assassin mentality, but it WAS completely outclassed versus other harassers using any other AV weapon including the halberd (in fact especially the halberd given its previous huge range advantage). Hell I died to a VS harasser using a fury, and then the same crew using a bulldog (prenerf, shoutout to Sincore/Shuguard) with my old vulcan harasser. The stuff that killed me before this patch still gets me, good MBT crews, battle bus, and AV max's still kill me. I killed 95% of the lightnings I encountered and thats still true, although I hear alot of whining from people in lightnings to which I say the harasser will alway perform better in the right hands compared to all but the best lightning tankers..... The TR know how to handle Sarons and Enforcers (or at least die trying to counter them), the other factions will follow suit with the Vulcan soon enough...
    • Up x 2
  13. Sincore

Note: Below is a guide to dealing with a Vulcan Harasser AS a Harasser.

As Primarily a Harasser driver, the thing you have to avoid at all costs is being ambushed by a Vulcan equipped Harasser. Be extremely aware of your surroundings and don't rely on your mini-map to spot vehicles as Vulcan loadouts typically include Stealth which removes auto-spot Radar signature when not firing. The Driver has a much better view of the surroundings then the gunner, so he MUST be able to find and spot the vulcan harasser before it engages on you. Make sure you engage the enemy at 100% health, you may also want to engage vulcan harassers who are not at full health as to make it easier to take down.

Communication and loadout now are key to taking down the Vulcan Harasser. If you do not have a Halberd, Enforcer or Saron equipped on your harasser, I wouldn't bother trying to engage the enemy (unless he is already damaged) as he can out damage your weapons even with 80% accuracy on your part. The trick with each of the above weapons is as follows:

Halberd: Engage at range, 3 shots will take down a harasser (4 with composite). Your gunner should be able to tell the defensive slot after the first shot by viewing the health lost on direct hit (provided your gunner is running enhanced targeting). Make sure to initiate the engagement and be at medium to long range from the target.

Enforcer: Same as above but you can push in to medium range slightly more as the Enforcer has the potential to kill a fully composite harasser provided you land 6/8 of your shots. Just make sure to stay about 50-100m away until you land at least 3 shots. If you are feeling confident you can kill the Harasser with the remaining 5 shots, don't reload. If not, reload to remove that awkward 2.5-3 seconds of reload if you end up missing the target before he dies.

Saron: IMO probably the best weapon to counter the Vulcan harasser. Provided you engage on him, and your gunner has decent aim. It takes 2 full clips to kill the Vulcan Harasser. So make sure to be accurate and approach the target so that your gunner can reliably land all his shots while shooting as fast as possible. Another trick is to magazine dump into the target then ram them, it will kill the enemy and not you most of the time, provided you have full health upon engaging.

Hope that helps.

-Sincore
    • Up x 2
  14. Foxirus

I have gotten to the point to where I will prioritize harassers over everything else. I become extremely aggressive towards them if they even come within render range, If I am not going AA, I am ALWAYS Armor piercing. At most times, if I do not get the kill, Its because they ran off and very rarely try to return.
  15. BarxBaron

This is common sense.

They carry secondary gunner weapons on an ultra light and weak chassis.

Therefore, a few AP shots has the ability to erase a MASSIVE amount of firepower from the nme armor column.

Harassers should always be a priority target unless they are driving too erratically for you to get a clear shot.

With that said...........you can deal with Vulcan harassers the same way TR deals with Ravens and Lancers/Vortexs......
    Get used to it, and just overcome the massive enemy advantage and pwn them anyway.
    • Up x 1
  16. DFDelta

If I'm in a MBT I usually watch them disintigrate as we nail them with a combination of AV main cannon and AV secondary. If it is less then three of them they are usually killable. If there is three or more then it is 6 vs 2, so the outcome should be in their favor.

Infantry we switch to engie and place AV mines very randomly around the area. Then we go back to whatever class we used before and watch the kills come in.
    • Up x 1
  17. Iridar51

I play TR. Best counter ever. I don't think I ever was killed by Vulcan.
    • Up x 2
  18. Desann

Grab a Saron harasser....oh wait...the Saron sucks now...
  19. Dieter Perras

er....Shoot back? Since the update I've only been killed by one Vulcan harasser and that was because I was a lightning alone with a viper.

Ya they're annoying but if you shoot back most will panic and start to run or miss and become easy certs it's just the really good teams that are the problem and if they're skilled enough to be that then they deserve to be a problem.
    • Up x 1
  20. LodeTria

The same way you deal with the cyber demon of course.