Developer Thread: Auto-Turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Dec 15, 2014.

1. AlterEgo

Last time I checked, it took eons to actually kill anything in PS1.
    PS2 beats 1 in virtually every single combat aspect.
  2. doombro

That's a huge overstatement, but PS1 does have a longer TTK, and to it's benefit in my experience. The amount of time it takes to kill someone with a full auto weapon in PS2 when landing all shots under 10 meters is about the time it takes to kill a guy with a jackhammer at point blank in PS1. Fights with full auto weapons can last anywhere from half a second to two or three seconds, depending on how well both people are paying attention. Still far from "eons".
    • Up x 1
  3. AlterEgo

That's the point. In this game, you are rewarded for superior aim and positioning. I could surprise countless people in PS1 and still lose because they had so much more health/armor than me, while in PS2, I can always react to enemies if I am aware and have the advantage of accuracy. Sure, PS1 had naval warfare (I see you like intercontinental lattice:)), but otherwise, PS2 combat is far more straightforward and s**y.
  4. doombro

There isn't a single shooter out there where you aren't rewarded for aiming and positioning. PS2's air game is a good example of this. For ESF v ESF combat, you pretty much have a guaranteed victory if you can catch your opponent off guard and your aim is spot on, however, if your opponent reacts quickly enough and manages to throw off your aim, they can pop fire suppression and attempt to magdump you while you're overconfident before you can finish them off. Should he not be rewarded for good reflexes, as much as his attacker was rewarded for good positioning? This also happens often in PS2's infantry combat as well as PS1's, which I'll cover in the next paragraph.

Fortunately in PS1, you can get the enhanced targeting implant at a very early level and see how much health/armor your opponent has before entering an engagement, which is extremely useful. In PS2 it just shows you the health, which isn't very useful. It's especially boring in PS2, where you get the Personal Shield for free on heavy assault and you can't drop it with EMPs or see how much is left on it. PS2 has the same problem you bring up for PS1, just represented differently. In PS2, if you catch a bullet, you can just start bunnyhopping and medkit spamming and you're pretty much invincible for several seconds, and can usually get behind cover and whip out your primary quickly enough to turn the tables. I do this all the time. In PS1, it's closer to PS2 with ESFs; medkits work like fire supression. You can pop a medkit and get a chunk of your health back, but all you get is a chance. The other guy still has the upper hand big time.

Also, PS1 didn't have naval warfare. The continents were connected to one another by bases with warpgate connections. The closest thing PS1 has to naval warfare is rivers, which can be traversed by amphibious vehicles like magriders and deliverers. There are no "ships" of any kind. The value in intercontinental lattice is that gains made on one continent can open up opportunities on other continents. PS2's continental gameplay is deprived of all scale, instead limited to a round-based system, where players have minimal agency in where they fight and how they fight. I don't find that very fun at all. PS2 is a game with a lot of complexity, but no depth.
  5. Crator

That's because in PS1 you had light armor and heavy armor. You traded faster mobility for less armor and inventory space.
  6. Kcalehc

Useful to help reduce the point getting taken at the base you just left, in that time before you get a point a the next base. Something you can leave behind to slow down a would-be back capper; unless they are a well prepared Infil with decoy 'nades that is.

I can see them getting a lot of use on biolab air pads for defense; there's a lot of space up there to place a whole bunch.

My main question is: if there's an enemy standing behind me ant a friendly turret in front of me, will the turret shoot anyway and hit me as I'm in the way? I.e. are they smart enough not to TK?
  7. \m/SLAYER\m/

Does unlocking turret with SC will unlock it for all factions?
  8. Goretzu

Yep just use them a bit on Live....... they seem... well pointless as they are, trying to get them to fire at anything requires the stars to aline in a once in a 100 years position. :confused:
  9. volth

SOE should refund all that bought it because it dosnt work. It only stand there and sounds annoying but it dont hit anything and it dont shoot. But it move to left then right and left and right but you cant sell a thing that dont do that it say it shall do.
  10. Krokozor

when it became userful, mister RadarX?
    • Up x 2
  11. MichaelS

They seem to work on all factions. I unlocked on my VS and it worked on my TR.
  12. volth

You should not need to go to a weapon terminal to get a new turret, you should have unlimited ammo like the other turrets. And it should have a better firerate and a better targeting sensor. And remove that big light it have below the turret. Its like you should turn on a flashlight when you deploy the turret. Else you can give it some wheels and make it a mobile motion spotter, because it feels like one now.
  13. Desann

The first thing my buddy said when he saw my spitfire was, "Are those missiles on the side?" Referring to the sides of the turrets that look like mini rocket pods.

This would be a cool upgrade.
  14. AlterEgo

Which brings me to another thing: INVENTORIES. BLAH, those things were my mortal enemies; in this game, I know what I can carry, and I know it can't be changed.
  15. Kreszenz

Just give me my money back and put this turret in your ***
  16. FSGanymedes

I think you should not CONSIDER faction specific things.
    Shouldn't adding faction specific things be obvious? All the NS
    sh*t is killing diversity and making the game boring for all three factions.
  17. o.Solei.o

Man... This thread turned into a cesspool fast.

Spits seemed to be off to a decent start, but could probably use a cert tree option to carry more, like the motion sensor beacons.

Played on off peak times yesterday for 2 hours, spits got 8 kills. Would have been a lot more if I could have kept them on the front lines and not had to wait to die to deploy another. (To short circuit any snarky replies, there are not a lot of ammo terms in the open field.) Also, before anyone derides 8 kills in 2 hours, those are kill shots. Got 2-3 times that many assists.
  18. Champagon

The turrets really aren't as bad as people say they are, you have to just think when using them. Something this game needs more of, cognitive thought from it's players. I for one am extremely pleased with these turrets as is
  19. Snow Sheltie

The turret needs tweaking. I believe it needs one of three things to happen: The ability to deploy two, a reduction in size, or an increase in resistance to bullets. The turrets as they stand are good as an alarm system and an annoyance to the enemy, particularly against light assaults attempting to attack from a rooftop or balcony. I've had one in a trial run keep a light assault distracted long enough for me to kill them with my carbine.
  20. Liquidrider

if a friendly is in the way does it still auto-fire?