Planetside bandwidth usage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by suprisefish, Dec 16, 2014.

1. suprisefish

Is it just me or has Planetside massively increased its bandwidth usage in the last couple of months. I used to be able to play as much as I wanted but lately I find that my connection seems to be groaning under the data usage (yes it's a slow connection). Anyone else experiencing this or know what might have caused it?
  2. Morpholine

It's just the NSA downloading the contents of your hard drive in the background.

Nothing unusual.
    • Up x 9
  3. RadarX

When you say bandwidth usage do you mean during play or client downloads?
  4. suprisefish

During play. Client downloads haven't changed thankfully.
  5. Doc Jim

Same here, decent connection overall in my apartment, but the ingame connection in Planetside 2 has deteriorating since spring/summer '14.
  6. Ronin Oni

My 120mbps, no bandwidth cap, internet hasn't noticed anything even with 2+ people streaming :D :D :D :D
  7. Crator

What indicates to you that your connection is being over utilized? AFAIK, data being transferred for online games is fairly minimal... I have noticed the 'Poor Connection' message pop up a lot for me lately though... Not sure if that's what you are referring to....
  8. Klypto

I get "poor connection" popping up in the corner a lot now too.
  9. suprisefish

From monitoring my data usage it seems like the amount of data Planetside has been transferring has gone up a lot recently. I have also experienced the poor connection message but that is a different issue I think.
  10. Soporific

Probably someone else in the house using bandwidth, or someone taxing your LAN. I don't know what PS2 uses, but I'm betting it's not a huge number in the scheme of network usage.
  11. Appalachian

So true. My wife works from home over the internet, so she is very sensitive about bandwidth usage in the house during work hours. I can play Planetside all day long and it never slows her down. But for the last year or two, if I go on certain websites just to browse, usually entertainment sites and the like, it slows her down to a crawl. I used to think she was crazy, but it got to the point that the moment I pulled one up I hear "are you on a funky website again" scream coming out of her workroom.

I have also noticed that if someone in the house is web browsing while we are watching netflix we won't even be able to watch. It just chokes. These are just normal sites too, like articles about top 10 sci fi movies, or things you didn't know about Star Wars. I am not sure what these sites have done to cause them to suck all the bandwidth up in a persons house. Maybe the ads?