Physx, gone but not purposely forgotten?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by _score, Dec 15, 2014.

1. _score

Heya guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster, i was a tad miffed to find that after buying my msi gtx 970 to boost the visual awesomesauce game play of ps2, that physx had been removed! this is particularly annoying as I have my old gtx 650ti as a dedicated physx card and was very much looking forward to whacking back into the frey and enjoying all the extra effects.

Also hope you are all well and hope to catch you on the battle field :D

Kindest regards,

_score
    • Up x 1
  2. Blippy

PhysX has been disabled for almost a year. It was possible to enable it in the ini but that was taken out too because it was extremely buggy and caused crashes.
  3. LibertyRevolution

I doubt it... The PS4 is AMD/Ati based right?
  4. Blippy

I heard that Nvidia wants to implement PhysX support to AMD consoles anyway.
  5. Scatterblak

Immaterial - that'll all be a custom build anyway, and apparently PS4 and PC players will never go head to head anyway.
  6. Zotamedu

They released the physics engine but not the GPU acceleration. PhysX is a physics engine and there's a bunch of them around. Quite a few games use it because it's free or very cheap. Some parts of it such as certain fluid simulations, particle physics and fabric movement can be accelerated with a CUDA enabled GPU. Nvidia are being dicks and are purposefully vague with the difference so they like to brag about hundreds of games supporting PhysX but only 30 or 40 or so has ever been made with GPU acceleration support. So 90 % of those games have no extra benefits with an Nvidia GPU since the physics calculations are run on CPU.

There is no way Nvidia will release GPU accelerated PhysX for other cards since that requires them releasing CUDA for other platforms. They even blocked it completely when an AMD GPU is present in the computer. For awhile you could use an AMD GPU for graphics and an Nvidia GPU dedicated for PhysX but they blocked that.
  7. Zotamedu

The PS4 is pretty much a regular PC with a special OS. It's basically two AMD A6-5200 with a underclocked 7850/7870 on one chip. SOE merged the PS4 and the PC codes before launch to save on development time. It's much cheaper to support one code base. So most of the code is apparently the same.