I'm Really Tired of Continent Locking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by William Petersen, Dec 4, 2014.

1. z1967

I like Esamir for the alerts because taking the continent is a pretty nice challenge. Air support is spotty because AA has very clear sight lines 90% of the time, only one faction can sustain MBT pulls, and the lack of cover makes vehicle zergs a target for every directive hungry AV MANA user in the game. Its a great continent and has become a favorite, next to Amerish because IR/NV scopes actually work there and there is a bit more color.

Maybe I am biased because I faced Indarside for the most part of my Planetside life, but I think continent locking was an honest improvement for the game over the previous system of "do whatever" which ended up in Indarside 24/7. I felt Indarside was like 2fort, its a bad map in many ways, but people play it because there are people there. Indar has many horrible qualities to it that I hate and few merits to offset these negative qualities like the other places have.
    • Up x 2
  2. SerasVic

Want to log off every time i see battles only on Esamir and Hossin locked / empty
    • Up x 1
  3. vsae

Tired of people not wanting diversity and playing the same thing over and over again.
    • Up x 4
  4. William Petersen

So. Sick. Of not being able to play on Esamir. Every. *******. Time. I log on. The Vanub Scrubrentry has 705 pop and is 3 bases away from locking the continent. What is misfiring in your brain that lets you enjoy that? Like seriously? How the **** is it fun to waste your life sitting at empty bases?
  5. William Petersen

I don't know why the edit button refuses to work; that's supposed to be 70% pop.
  6. Wildclaw

So you are complaining about continent population differences, and your solution is to remove continent locking. Talk about utterly backwards. Of everything SOE has implemented since launch, continent locking has done the most to reduces population differences on continents.
  7. William Petersen

Not really. I don't care about the continent pop per se. I care that I can't play on the continent I want to play.
  8. Valok

Let me help you. There's this game called Battlefield 4 (also heard BF 3 was going on sale lately) or if you are feeling twitch a new Call of Duty just came out.

There you can select the map you want and play nonstop this same map over and over and over and over ad infinitum.
  9. MarkAntony

I concur. Locking continents used to be an accomplishment. Now it's an annoyance.
    • Up x 1
  10. SerasVic

de_dust2 ?
  11. Valok

Oh yes. Good ol' times.
  12. Pirbi

It seemed like everytime NC won an alert it was usually during a time where the server pop was such that the reward was yanked away. Even a continent cap was yanked away. Which is like "congratulations, you still lose". They need to fix that such that the winner still gets the bonus until the next alert changes that or a continent is capped.
  13. BravoTangoTR

I'm okay with the idea of continent locking, but in typical SOE fashion they screwed it up like everything else they do. They implemented it in a way that has no rhyme, reason, purpose, or benefit other than, "Hey, go fight on a different continent for a few hours!" The way they did it adds no depth to the game. It has no meaning. So your faction won an alert by zerging or teaming up on the other? Big whoop.
  14. MonnyMoony

I don't mind continent locking - I just wish they would allow you to choose which of the unlocked continents you do want to log into.

I'm tired of logging in and clicking play - only to be automatically deployed to Hossin (the slowest to load continent). If I don't want to play Hossin, I then have to redeploy to another continent's warp gate, then redeploy again to find a fight........just wastes time.

They also need to fix the deploy bugs. I highlighted a few bugs months and months ago - and they still exist.

1. Deploy map defaulting to a different continent than the one you are on
    2. Spawn points from other continents showing up - if you aren't careful and click one, you get deployed to another continent
  15. SCP-079

Though I admittedly haven't played Planetside in awhile (need to finish upgrading my PC, plus been really busy playing Destiny), I have yet to play on Hossin because every time I log in, its always locked.
  16. Ikarius77

The system is a great improvement to give more variable fights at different scenarios and avoid constantly over/under populated continents... But its far from perfect.

If you play for ex 2/3 hours everyday maybe you stay one week without play in your favorite continent and forced to spend your gameplay time in a continent that you simple hate.

For ex ... I really hate to play in hossin because terrain, visibility and base design.
  17. ZDarkShadowsZ

I can't agree more with this. In my personal opinion, continent locking allows for variation. Trying to find a decent fight on a continent besides Indar before the locking was near impossible. A lack of both teammates and opponents made battles unfun, unchallenging and felt more as if I were ghost capping than anything else.

After being stuck playing on Indar for so long fighting at/over the same parts of the map (Quartz Ridge Camp, Crossroads Watchtower, Howling Pass, The Crown etc) continent locking is a welcome change for me.
  18. haniblecter

Continent locking ensures that the tools stay in one location.
  19. Vanuub

It's a PS1 thing, we can't help ourselves.

Anyway, can hardly recognize the complaints of particular continents being locked all the time. Millerwoodman is mostly alertchasing so any lockbias has to be attributed to continent capture alerts being biased. Come on, when is the last time anyone saw a true lock, gating the 2 other empire instead of this pantsy "have the most territory at the end of timer" alert lock.
  20. PieceKeeper00

I used to despise continent locking but now I don't mind it at all. It's nice to have huge fights on hosin and Amerish for a change.

I had never really bothered with loadouts until I put a foot on Hosin and realized I needed CQB chops ASAP.