Another (possibly heretofore unrecognized) cloaking bug

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by _itg, Dec 8, 2014.

1. _itg

Earlier today, I was playing engi at a tech plant, and I ran into the small outer vehicle terminal room (which was full of friendlies), saw a flash of purple out of the corner of my eye, did a double take, shot blindly where the purple flash was, and ended up killing a VS stalker crouched in the corner. Now, there are two possibilities here:

a) The stalker chose to uncloak and recloak in the middle of about ten NC soldiers (very bizarre behavior, of course), none of them saw the cloaker except me, and I was unable to hear the cloak noise.
    b) There was a bug.

My suspicion is that the cloaker was unrendered for me when I walked into the room, and when he did render, the server decided to place the stalker in the room before bothering to check whether he was cloaked. I suspect this is the essentially the same as the bug that allowed ESFs to see infiltrators as they moved into render distance.

I'd like to get some confirmation on this before reporting it, because, you know, it could have just been strange play on the part of the stalker. If anyone can get this on video, that would be really helpful. If I'm right, the larger the fight, the better the chances of this happening.
    • Up x 2
  2. m44v

didn't somebody briefly light him with darklight?
  3. _itg

No, he was solid purple. I can tell the difference. Pretty sure he was wearing cell camo.
  4. m44v

ok then, never saw it myself though.
  5. CuteBeaver

This is the Heisenbug of cloaking... we know it happens, but no one has been able to repeat it reliably.
    • Up x 4
  6. TheKhopesh

I've had multiple times where this happened, yet when I asked how I was spotted, the guys usually say I was not cloaked on their screen.

At all.

For an extended period of time, not just a quick flash of visibility.
    • Up x 2
  7. MisterSlim

I've bumped into it, but it happens infrequently enough that I normally just shrug it off. Hopefully with the upcoming wield-able knives, people will be more inclined to play Stalker, and it'll get some dev attention on the class.
  8. Plastikfrosch

no, the heavys with adrenalin shield will get the activalable OHK-knifes to run into a room full of enemys and will get the shields refilled with every kill. playing a stalker who tries to get close enough for a knife kill will be to dangerous and would need too much patience for all the people who really care about the K/D and fast certing.
  9. LordDethir

Wait your right . . . Time to cert out Adren shield :D
  10. _itg

I really want this to work, but good luck chasing people down while running at half speed.
  11. PsyStorm

Well I did try the adrenaline shield and even though it's helpful in catching your target the hit box of the knife still doesn't register. You have to wait for them to stop moving to be able to land a shot which is pretty hard to do. To top it off the hit box is so tiny that any small movement and you are swinging wildly in the air with no contact. The new knife mechanics are very unpredictable and far too unreliable to make this a viable build.
  12. iller