Buff ALL guns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grubers, Dec 4, 2014.

1. z1967

Maybe try moving when getting shot?
  2. FateJH

And what's wrong with that? why should you not consider that skill too, beaten by the skill demanded of them that would have kept your body/head in the crosshair?
  3. steverogers

if you want instant and tacticless kills, go play counter strike like the rest of the camping bads who left this game because there is more than 1 way the enemy can come from in this game.
  4. Hatesphere

not comparable. most games with sorter TTK have much smaller maps and player counts so at least you regain some of your tactical skill in that sense. since the fight can not be so easily approached for unexpected angles. it starts to come down to map knowledge and anticipating what the other team will do based on that team having X players and y paths of approach to an objective that is not in constant flux with (in the case of say CS) set and predictable spawn areas and a player cont that is reduced for the entire match when someone is eliminated. In a larger setting with player counts unpredictable and the flow of battle always changing it reduces skill since now there is really no counter play and it comes down to the "twitch" aspect of the game almost entirely since prediction of player movement based on team sizes and approaches/level layout is far less reliable. if all i wanted to do was test my twitch skill i would not be playing PS2.

lets put it this way, i will break down OPs suggestion and show you why it is bad and only rewards twitch skill and diminishes other aspects of the game, lets start with the 1000 m/s bullet velocity and ignore the damage for now.

at 1000 m/s that means a bullet can travel the entire compresses infantry fighting range in .3 seconds, this begins to step on snipers toes as it makes it even easier to pepper someone with lower damage rounds aat range with very little lead skill required. sure this buff stacks onto the snipers, but now it makes them even less attractive (sniper rifles) since anyone can easily reach out and kill to render range on a moving target with a standard marksmen AR or LMG with a tiny amount of burst control. it also starts to degrade CQC as now we are talking about fractions of a second within 50m, essentially making these weapons hit scan for all intents and purposes making head shots even easier to hit on a moving target.

now lets throw on the new damage model:

this starts to screw things even more into the twitch "first shot" camp punishing players for minor tactical mistakes even with cover near (easy to make in PS2 due to its scale) and rewarding bad spray and pray play; stray bullets now not even aimed at a player become deadly in an environment with the possibly of hundreds of players slinging lead (or ferrous slugs/plasma). this reduces the skill level even more since now even a skilled player can be easily "luck shot" like in COD, a single bullet can ruin your day out of a panicked uncontrolled spray from a bad player in many more situations then it can now, unlike in UT instagib where everyone is given a slow firing weapon that is an EXACT copy that punishes bad aim and cant be sprayed like PS2 automatic weapons.

in short TTK that we have now is required for deep tactical play on the scale we have, and inst really comparable to the cold calculated almost "laboratory" style combat of say CS; different game bring different considerations when it comes to TTK and "skill".
  5. Hatesphere

as a quick note, you can not snipe someone at 300-600m all infantry engagement in this game takes place at or under 300m. You more likely hit him at 200m or less in game, and he approached and took advantage of your bad aim / slow fire rate while doing so. instead of relocating (were you in good cover for sniping? I mean you can cloak and bug out if you didn't make the head shot on a heavy and hit him from another angle on ambush him)

this game is a lot more about knowledge of your and other players class equipment then most other FPS games IMO. and tactics involve more then just shooting until you kill when it comes to long ranged fighting.
  6. LT_Latency

For me it is just too random. A player doing this can change direction so quickly that leading them is just a guess game and aiming for the head is not really viable and you just end up spraying at the body. I don't really like that style of shooting.

It also looks really stupid when people are doing it.

In war game I like people to go down when a fire a bunch of rounds into their skull
  7. Desann

The problem with a really low TTK is when you mix it with a big ol batch of L A G.

In this type of game with up to 2,000/map, a super low TTK will make the game unplayable. As soon as your ping goes over 200ms, your SCREWED.

You will literally die so fast your packets won't even have a chance to register. Translation, you run 10 feet, then warp back 10 feet and are now dead. DA FAQ!?
  8. LT_Latency

I never understand this argument, Lag effects styles equally, If bullets are not register in short combat that aren't doing the same thing in long combat either.

In your case you are still going to be running 10 feet before you know you were taking damage and warp back 10 feet when you take the final blow
  9. Desann

Unless you have a subpar connection and are located further geographically then your opponents, thus making your ping time significantly higher than others and leaving you at a disadvantage.

*pushes up glasses*
  10. LT_Latency

How does that not still effect long combat???

Omg, This guy is ADADADA lagging all over the place I can't shoot him, both game style get affect by lag.
  11. Desann

I think we are on 2 different trains of thought.

Yes your are correct, the lag will effect long combat. The point I was making was that low TTK combined with the lag that is ever present in an MMO style game will make the game unplayable.

Other shooters such as COD, Battlefield etc, are hosted on a server (pc versions) that only contain 64 players max. That is a whole lot less packet information flowing from the clients to the server and back to all of the clients. In planetside, the sheer amount of packet information flowing causes a slight delay between the client-server-client communication. This is why I think the longer TTK makes sense in THIS GAME.
  12. phreec

Worst suggestion of the year.
  13. grubers

Well it makes sense that if you get hit by a bullet one would be enough... That could also be applied to tanks, sunderers, and harassers as well, one shot kills you know...

Just to clarify,.. Everything would be a one shot kill (except infantry shooting at maxes or tanks with small arms).
    Snipers would snipe from 1000m away, hit instantly, one shot kills. Infantry would run around a corner, see someone, shoot them 5 times, hit once, get a kill, run away. Heavy Assaults could one shot harasser with a rocket launcher. grenades would do less damage though.
  14. Hatesphere

not in a world where people are sheathed in a glowing energy shield designed to prevent just that. and if anything if we are going to appeal to reality here grenades should have like 20 foot kill radius due to shrapnel.