If ONK kinfes are not acceptable, then why are OHK shotguns accpetable

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by KO-tic, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Taemien

Interesting...

to say the least lol.
  2. Brenold

my only concern with OHK knives was mentioned earlier, people might start rushing into rooms and stabbing people. Like how you can bumrush a melee kill face to face n farcry...

I think we just have to avoid the face to face ganking and make the OHK for backstabs only.. or allow the vicitm the chance to "counter" melee attacks by pressing melee as well. That way if you run into an enemy and you both hit melee it cancels out (no double stab please) I would prefer if it punished the instigator (like he tries to stab you and you bash him in the face with your rifle) to promote limiting the melee strikes mostly to backstabs

but with the hit detection, it would be really messy.

wonder if they'll put in fancy animations.... like tenchu. lol
  3. Gamingroach

I'm fine with this One Hit Kill knife that requires to be wielded on hand than a Quick Knife One Kill....
    Hopefully this makes organized stealth missions and ops closer to a realization in this game. Something I feel the game currently lacking in.
  4. Jogido

OHK knifing is fine with me as long as they implement a hand-to-hand fighting mechanic where you can defend yourself :)
    • Up x 1
  5. Astriania

OHK melee plus clientside plus hitching or low frame rate in a big fight is a scary prospect. And yes shotguns are really annoying in those fights but at least that person is giving up having a real gun for their cheap kills.
    • Up x 1
  6. Foxirus

Yeah? And the person with the knife is giving up all their damage potential outside of 1m. I have used the test server version of the activatable knives, Not only do they have to be EQUIPPED first, But you must also have the knife activated by pressing B. This is not something you can just pull out in a split second, Getting the knife to the one hit kill state requires about 3 seconds. Anyone who tries to say this is OP is damn ignorant.

If you die to one of these knives, You damn well deserve it because you were simply being a poor excuse for a player for letting them get that close to you in the first place with one of them out.
  7. Takoita

Only problems I can see are potential issues with slicing a bunch of people standing inside each other because lol!collision and all of them getting OHK'd since Higby said these puppies are going to be tracking the hits along the swing arc now instead of the old hit detection model.
  8. Astriania

... but only while they're choosing to be in knife mode. That's like saying a heavy pulling his rocket launcher or medkit is sacrificing all his ordinary damage potential: yes, temporarily, but only at his discretion.

I got killed by these knives several times in the turret test lagfest. Now admittedly they don't have their noise associated with them yet which will make it harder, but in a 15FPS lagfest with people everywhere, you're not going to know where that noise is coming from exactly.
  9. Foxirus

That is a poor example. I like how you only quoted a part of my post so that your example wouldn't instantly be shot down. A heavy can still kill with their rocketlauncher inside 150m range if you can hit with it. The knife takes 3 seconds to get to the one hit kill state if you don't already have it out and equipped. You also lose ALL DAMAGE outside of 1m until you bring your primary back, Which is more time that you can't do damage.

My argument is against those who think people are just going to go rambo and mow down entire squads with only their knife. This is HIGHLY situational. Even for infiltrators who shine at getting behind enemy lines, You can still see the flying particle, Hell.. Infiltrator cloak has become a complete **** since they changed it so that every single detail can be seen now, I see them a mile a way now. If you think one is going to get the drop on me or anyone else who has even the slightest bit of competence, You are sorely mistaken.
  10. Plunutsud pls

Just give the OHK knife a longer animation like BF4 and it should be fine, as long as you actually have to draw it before you can use it, instead of just mashing a button while you have another weapon drawn.
  11. QuantumSerpent

You *do* have to draw it. You have to hold down the quickknife button for a certain period to equip it and then hit B to switch to OHK mode.
  12. Govedo13

The OP logic is if I express myself mild strange. Comparing tertiary weapon that everyone has by default with 1000 cert primary weapon that nerf 50% of your fighting chance for close range buff lack any kind of logic.
    If we use this kind of logic we should buff Pistols to primary Carabine/AR/LMG level.
    Secondary and tertiary weapons are such for a reason- the reason is to be second and third choice- if the third choice takes the place of specific niche first choice gun- the shotgun in our case then it is not fine and it is OP.

If SOE did the thing right they would do the following:

-Add Katana/Sword Style primary slot weapons for Stalkers and LAs. They should OHK at front/side and back, however they should have somewhat reduced swing time. Also NS Longsword for Maxes would be neat thing as well.

-Fix the current knife like in CS. Make it mountable as weapon and add 2 modes- fast slash mode and slower swing OHK mode that works from the back.
    The main problem is that even the current knife is totally cheese- it is free 50% hp hit in close range by pressing a button-kinda no-skill and meh, however if you want to stab one in the back doing 2 swings can get you killed after the first one.

I really doubt that SOE wants something more then selling different shiny versions of the knife so I doubt that it would be balanced or reasonable at all.
  13. Heyitsrobbie1984

no way they are OP. when the knife activates, the noise will give you away so they'll have time to counter the potential attack with a flashlight if you're an infiltrator, so you really got to be careful when you use it.

if so, try and use it if theres alot of noise around you so enemies dont react to it fast enough.
  14. Slash Hammer

Swords??? Katanas??? Oh my god... :confused: Maybe I go and find some nirnroot on Amerish...
  15. Snoozzzer

I hated being knifed in COD. I don't care about being hit by a pump action in Planetside

I wish this knife mechanic didn't have to come to Planetside, but alas it has.

Also, this and every thread saying such and such a thing in the game should be different is a waste of space on SOE's servers - and given the cheapness of storage space that's saying something
  16. LordDethir

No it got nerfed to 500. Learn your facts :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  17. doombro

Please no. Don't ruin a potentially cool thing, forumside.

OHK shotguns shouldn't be a thing, don't shift the goalposts here. Here we have an opportunity to actually make melee entertaining. I'd be in favor of the specialty knives having side effects, but OHK is just not good. Does not matter where or how or why, OHK is and always will be a bad mechanic no matter where or how it's implemented.
  18. Heyitsrobbie1984

so what about getting a OHK with a bolt action sniper rifle? you think it's a bad mechanic?
  19. doombro

Yes.

Arguably, it's even worse. It's bad enough to get instagibbed by some roof monkey with a blackjack, it's horrible to get your head blown off from a guy you couldn't even see 200 meters away.
  20. Heyitsrobbie1984

im sorry but if you get headshotted by a guy with a bolt action rifle, you deserve to die and he/she should be rewarded for having skill to do so.

come on, its not like he's shooting you with a insta-gib auto sniper rifle that can go through walls.