That 3.4x scope

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jbn0s0rus, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Jbn0s0rus

Hey everyone.

Came to ask if anyone felt like a 3.4x scope was slightly too strong but the reflex 2x was not enough. It's been bugging me since ever. Why do we have such a gap between these two scopes? Can't we have a 3x scope?

Is there a reason why 3.4x exist in real life anyway? Why this precise setting?
    (if I ask, it's because google couldn't tell me)
    • Up x 3
  2. Springjack

From my understanding of it, there are Fixed Scopes, and there are Variable scopes. PS2 doens't have variable and I wish it did :p! IMO the 3.4x scopes (for NC) are bulky and obscure vision, also I do not like their crosshairs/dot.

In real life... perhaps 3.4x gives clearer vision than 3 times. I am not sure. I did find this on eBay though ...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-M145C-s...xed-scope-Red-Green-Dot-223-556-/201200099620
  3. Whatupwidat

3.4x is a standard military scope, if I recall correctly the C79 and SUSAT are both that magnification - so my guess is SOE based the scope mag levels on modern military stuff?
    • Up x 2
  4. Jbn0s0rus

Wiki told me it was widly used IRL. But I couldn't find any scientific explanation for that .4 thing.
    Still, I feel like we need more diversity in low magnification scopes.
  5. TheKhopesh

I'm a bit sad that there aren't any 2.5x magnification optics.
    (IMO the 2x holo sights should have a 2.5x magnification variant.)
  6. BlueSkies

People actually use sights stronger than 2x?
    • Up x 1
  7. Aaren

My understanding is that 3.4x is commonly used (at least on assault rifles) - because a 100m standing target, is about the limit of most people's unaided vision - most AR's have an effective range for a single pointman target out ~300 - 500m. So naturally when shooting at those sort of ranges - multiplying your sight picture by 3x gives you a target that is the same size as it would be out to 100m.

The .4 makes sense because of the window between 300-500m. If your target is further than 300m, you have a bit of extra magnification to work with, but if they're at the lower end of the window, you arn't being hindered by too much excessive zoom.

I've always felt I'd probably use a 2.5x too if there was one available. Maybe someday I guess.

In Pside, 3.4x barley feels like 2x magnification to me. Most games I stick to 1x or 1.5x holographic and reflex sights, but I find they limit my effective range far too much in Pside, so I pretty much exclusivley use 3.4x.
  8. DFDelta

That is what I was going to say.
    I use x1 reflex on most weapons, x2 reflex on the long range weapons of their category (e.g. Cougar or Pulsar C for carbines), sniper rifles (where possible) and my TRAP/Vandal.
    The only weapon I have ever used the 3.4 scope on is the NS-11A because it is so ridiculously accurate in full auto that you can use it to burst down snipers outside and the little extra zoom is useful on very long range shots.
  9. Siilk

Are we playing the same game? I only use x4 on my Razor and AC-X11 and sometimes I feel like I could've used x5.
  10. vsae

There is only one reason to use 3.4 in this game. To improve your trigger discipline and aiming. Otherwise its a garbage.
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

i freakin love the 3.4x scopes!! i use the NiSGO 3.4x on the NS15M and the V3 HOLO on my Corvus assault rifle. the scopes work fantastically for these weapons in a mid-long range role where 2x would be too weak magnification and 4x a bit too strong
  12. MasonSTL

Yeah I have one on my Blackrain PG15, but you can adjust it between 1x and 4x. I have mine sighted for 3x right now.

It's obviously different IRL... you don't have a dorito to aim for ;)
  13. patrykK1028

Because BF3

And thank you for showing me that point - I noticed I would use something stronger than 2x and weaker than 3.4x on some weapons
  14. Jbn0s0rus

Thanks! I actually didn't even remembered that most of the irl assaullt riffle effective range was 300m.

Weapon with manageable recoil + 3.4x scope = land headshot everyday, all day. :p (TR however, can't really use it on much of their weapons) (3.4 on the T9 = lol)

Exactly why I think it's in the game in the first place. But when you take the time to think about it, it doesn't make sense, as Ps2 has no link to irl weapons.

It would be interesting to have a scope that fits the empire's weapons effective range.
  15. johnway

Originally in the early days used x1 scopes because the game ran so poorly with x2 scope. But after a while after numerous tweaks i stuck to x2 scopes as it felt like it was making an impact when ADS. But felt lacking especially for medium/longer ranges and experiementing with the weapons i didn't see accuracy suffer and in some weapons i felt that it gave me the edge.

Recently, i've gone to getting x2 scopes for the less accurate short range weapons and some LMGS because they were disappointing using 3.4 as the recoil made the scopes go all over the place.
  16. QuantumSerpent

I like it. I use it on an SMG so it doesn't mess with me up-close (hipfire), and I can use it to see what's going on (not shoot, though... suppressor + soft-point = good luck hitting) a bit further out than with a 1x or 2x.