Why did you choose your empire?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scarlit, Nov 25, 2014.

1. pnkdth

VS due to how the Spectre(the standard issue semi auto sniper rifle) worked differently from the other factions. This was a time when having no bullet drop actually mattered, and VS damage over distance dropped faster than the other factions. I am sure most of the currently infiltrator's minds just blew up there. Yes, once upon a time there were actually a difference between the sniper rifles.

Those were the days... No NS weaponry, faction traits were more or less intact...

The reason I stayed was VS underpop(on Miller it went down all the way to 17%...), and the Deathwatch Gaming outfit.
  2. Robertooooo

I started out as VS because I liked the lore behind the faction. After that I switched to TR because I wanted to use the MCG.
    And now I play as NC because teamwork on Cobalt TR is pretty much dead (from what I've seen when im online, I might be wrong) and because of better weapon diversity.
  3. Golconda

TR cause helghast, and I never played killzone
  4. FocusLight

As a faction, the Terran Republic has the long and proven history, A (everyone else spawned from this faction) the benefit of being the only faction with actual soldiers who are proven to be loyal and dedicated B (after all, everyone else defected from this faction) the only faction who's motto is something reliable and simple to define, instead of something vague and unclear C (LOYALTY UNTIL DEATH, STRENGTH IN UNITY - it is, again, a concept that has been proven by it's followers) and a belief that the tried and true trumps the shiny new toy that has not been tested and approved D - and I like the idea of being able to rely on my weapons. (Kinetic weaponry, more specifically, powder, casings and bullets, as opposed to highly experimental plasma weapons or magnetic accelerators and caseless slugs) Finally, there is the in-game aesthetics to consider - E.

A - Current conditions of the TR's leadership aside, the pro of the TR's history is that they can point to centuries worth of time where their way worked just fine and kept everyone happy. They have the longest record of keeping the most people happy out of all Human governments EVER, and such a boast is not easy to come by. In short, the TR want's to re-secure Auraxis in order to re-make what they had on Earth and ultimately, find a way back o that planet so they can re-connect with their homeworld.

At least, that's what the TR wants as far as the middle and lower ranking members of the Republic knows...

B - The fact that the TR operates the only real and official military of the three factions is not to underestimated. This effectively makes them the "official" defenders of the Terran people and the enforcers of law and order that maintains the peace and serenity for the populace. This lends them an air of being the legitimate faction in the sense that they are the defenders of the people and government of the Republic and everyone else are the traitors and rebels.

Of course, the fact they are also the de-facto enforcers for the military's will is not spoken about much...

C - The TR's motto directly reference their devotion to a cause that has remained just and provenly noble for, once again, centuries. It's a simply cry for resolute devotion to an entity that has a positive track-record of what can be achieved when people work together towards a common goal and purpose, and by most accounts the TR deserve the loyalty it asks for.

Of course, the fact that it implies that your only way of resigning from your position is by dying is not often considered, nor the fact that it's motto recently has taken on a bit more of a darker meaning...

D - While the Republic is not beyond testing and developing new stuff or constantly evaluating new ideas, they are fans of using what has a proven record of working out. For instance, the Repeater pistol's design is over 300 years old, but the weapon you get issues is the latest and most refined version yet. It's tried, tested, true and reliable. I like the idea of constantly developing new stuff but using what has a proven record and you know will get the job done. The reliance on easy to make, easy to maintain projectile munitions also make them the DAKKA faction without fail.

Well, while the "peace through superior firepower" motto fits the TR well, it's also a hint that they maintain peace and order by being, among other things, well armed...

E - This bit is simple really. On top of the lore reasons why I like TR there is the simple fact that out of the 3 factions I like the overall aesthetics (and obviously, the musical score) of the TR the most, VS a close second. NC looks, sounds and behaves poorly for me, so I enjoy playing them the least. Shame too, blue is my favorite colour in general, though I'm more a fan of a deep Navy Blue or a black-blue hue than the shade NC has. TR's uniform designs and overall their choice for weapon designs and their ESF design all have this sleek design that I like in general.

Sadly, they also has by far the ugliest tank, and a severe case of thisbarrelistotallyhalfthelenghtsofmygunyo and I wish they would just freaking stop that. Other than that aesthetics are fin outside of a few minor gripes. Not much more to say really.
    • Up x 1
  5. BanthaFodder

NC has nice gun variety and they hit hard. Also I've always perceived them to be the good guys. Not to mention VS guns sound like childrens toys and TR just feels bland.
  6. Zotamedu

Because dakka!
  7. Sn0w

VS cause of the music and alien tech. I just wish our guns sounded less like toys. The Flare has a nice sound to it. Everything else just sounds weak.
  8. Danath

This again?

And because no matter what, I always choose human/terran in any game.
  9. Astealoth

I have 2 of each, 1 of each on waterson and connery. The 5 alts are all fairly equally leveled, quite a few hours on all of them. I've got about 10 times as much play time on my waterson TR than the others, though so he's pretty much my main. I made him first on jaeger TR back on launch week and I chose TR because I prefer the TR theme and music. NC and VS seem too generic to me, the space manz and the action heroes. That's the factions in every game. When do you get to play for a faction like the TR? Planetside 2, that's when :>

Actual gameplay wise I prefer NC because NC MAX is obscenely fun to me. Dual mattocks and dual falcons is my bread and butter, both my NC characters leveled almost 100% in their MAX suit. Pounders, mutilators, they just aren't the same fun factor. NC MAX is by far my favorite thing in the game, but not by a factor large enough for me to want to switch my main to the stinky NC :p
  10. Hosp

Main reason goes back to PS1. I originally began then w/ a TR. But the faction flavor, didn't seem to work with my crappy net connection. So the high RoF weapons didn't pack the punch I needed. I went NC and was able to start getting kills with a gauss rifle and thus I started my NC career. Shortly after beginning to play, putzed around a couple outfits but was found and joined in the early days of [PG].
    Loved the discipline, camaraderie and effectiveness w/o the uber need to be some l337mlgprohardcore player. So for PS1 I stayed NC. Before the beginning of PS2, [PG] was tossing around the idea of going TR. Our loyalties remained with the outfit not the empire. But much as it was with PS1, NC were hardmode. Thus we stayed NC.
  11. Fatal_Finn

I had 3 reasons:
    1. I read somewhere that TR needed new recruits
    2. I liked the faction description
    3. I liked the OST

Never gonna quit TR :')
  12. rogviir

I initially went for VS because the video said that they were the faction with the best accuracy and being a complete noob, I figured thats where I belonged. But after a few days getting smoked I decided to go NC because of the higher damage, that way every shot that I actually landed counted. I guess since then I just stuck with NC.
  13. Morpholine

VS because they were purple and the perennially low-population empire (the week of Lasher 2.0 excepted). Hover-tanks, hover-buggies, and only needing to carry one type of ammo kept me playing VS.

Flash forward a decade, and I'm purple in Planetside 2 as well.

It is nice being the "futuristic" faction in a futuristic FPS. The other two factions might as well be using today's tech.
  14. DramaticExit

My main is NC. I chose them because at the time (shortly after launch) they were the least populated and least sucessful, due to flinch and south east indar gate.
  15. Whatupwidat

Blue is my favourite colour and their tank was the coolest looking.
  16. vanu123

I started as TR but only played for a few minutes before making (at the time an alt) my VS character. Since then I main VS because (even though we have several things nerfed into oblivion) my outfit is amazing and are a great group to play with. Since then I've played much more NC cause EZmode/vanguard/iwinshield.
  17. dngray

I chose Vanu because I like the outcome of mixing purple death rays with red and blue. I also like science and running over red and blues in my magrider.
  18. Viztorgath

Went VS because my outfit for some weird reason picked it despite the fact I played TR exclusively in PS1. Stayed because I didnt feel like starting from scratch on another faction or I probably would have went back to TR. Magrider and Lasher are a bit subpar compared to PS1 but I guess that is balance at work (I like the flare anyway).
  19. PrivateAffairs

Lol, I am really disturbed by all the people saying, "Fascist TR ideology suits me best".

Taxation is theft people.. you/re nothing but tax livestock to the TR.

20. Appalachian

I chose NC for the aesthetics and of course vanguard, the tankyest tank in the game. I hate the music though. I wish they had given NC the TR music. It would then be the perfect faction for cool.