[Guide] Dunning-Kruger effect in Planetside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, Nov 25, 2014.

1. GoyoElGringo

Fixed that for ya.
  2. m3talc0re

Too much stupid **** in this thread. I'm not gonna bother -_-
  3. Flapatax

"Hmm, Reddit has downvotes and that didn't turn out well, better try the official forums instead."
    • Up x 2
  4. NyaR

I post to multiple communities. At the time I posted this here it had around 20 upvotes, then the children came home from school.
  5. Scatterblak

It's already been raised, discussed and rebuffed about 100 times over the last couple of years. Moving on to the next thread...
  6. Inex

Kind of like learning a small subset of the weapons, and claiming that being beaten by weapons outside that set is cheap/unfair/stupid/skilless?

I'm agreed that it's not directly D-K, but I can see the connection between the D-K overconfidence in your own limited ability and the behavior of blaming the system for your loss.
  7. cykael

I think you meant the adults came from work.
    • Up x 1
  8. GoyoElGringo

You probably had upvotes because people don't like whining about weapons. However, you are being called out because you chose to call it the Dunning-Kruger Effect when it is not. I presented you with the reasons why, and you've chosen to ignore me, which shows that you can't even defend your own argument.

I wasn't even talking to you, I was responding to the OP's video. If you're sick of people talking about this, tell the person who made the thread.
  9. zombielores

TL;DR. It is only the Dunning-Krueger effect if you have no supportive evidence to back up your claims. If you do have supportive evidence for your claim then you no longer have the Dunning-Krueger effect.

You can only call it the Dunning-Krueger effect if the complaint is illegitimate and has no support for the complaint, for game purposes you can only call it the DK effect if there is no back up evidence to support your main complaint.

Here's a real life example.
    Your English Class teacher decides to give you a surprise English test, in that test there are 100 questions but the twist here is that there is 50 questions written in Ancient Latin that your teacher has never taught before. After you finish the test, you get 50/100 and you go complain to your teacher but he/she tells you your experiencing the DK effect. In this scenario, your are an unskilled individual but it is not the DK effect because you have back up evidence to support why it wasn't your fault that you failed the test because there was stuff that you simply couldn't have known that your teacher hasn't taught yet.

Edit, added TLDR
  10. NyaR

Video is not about complaining, video is about dismissing defeat. Complain all you want it won't mean you have a cognitive bias.
  11. zombielores

Complaining is merely an action that stems from the DK effect that I used for my example, dismissing defeat doesn't mean your suppose to accept it, what if someone used a OP weapon that killed you, are you suppose to just admit defeat or if I don't admit defeat does that mean I'm under the DK effect.

If I can back up my claims with supportive evidence and prove to you that the defeat was cheap/unfair then it is no longer the DK effect, if you read my English test example you'd realize that defying defeat/failure is not the DK effect if you can support your claims.
  12. KnightCole

Im beginning to wonder what is the rating for an "average" player anymore.....Is the old gaming world "scrub", the current and new gaming world "average"? I know thats kinda the case in WoT.....new average win rate is like 48%, the overall average eff ratings are less then 1000. Where as good, or above average used to be like 50-53% and 1100-1300 eff....

Is TKing, unaware, dumb, deaf, inaccurate scrub the new average?
  13. GoyoElGringo

Well even if the teacher had taught latin that would not be the DK effect. The DK effect only applies when someone over-estimates their ability because they are unaware of how uneducated they are about something. Thinking you are good when you are not isn't the DK effect. The person specifically has to be uneducated on the matter for it to be the DK effect, because the knowledge of your level of knowledge is attained from actually being knowledgeable on the matter. To quote David Dunning:

"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."
  14. Kunavi

Different units but all players have access to them. Difference with PS2's core.
    Units aren't stronger, they are DIFFERENT thus providing balance. Difference with PS2's core.

You're telling us you are not to be blamed that you have superior weapons which you don't want SOE to balance, and that we should suck it up. And L2P with a cherry on top. D-K effect is real, it does exist, it does affect us but in this case the banana is a banana.

Or you can keep thinking up ways to tell us to L2P or to adapt to C4 and so on, narrating calmly and slowly. It's the same to me, I'm just leaving this comment here and won't bother with this discussion as I foresee wild escalation.
  15. Haquim

Ok I'm absolutely sure, but was Dunning-Kruger not about people misjudging their skills/situation because they don't know better?
    Or, in a more provocative way, people who don't know they are bad because the skills they would need to recognize they are bad are exactly those skills they are lacking?

If so then this isn't about Dunning-Kruger. People absolutely expect to get shot by a shotgun or a decimator and die instantly. They recognize the situation and assess it correctly, they are just not OK with that.

Dunning-Kruger would be running up to a shotgun guy with your knife expecting to OHK him CoD style and then wondering why he turned around and blasted your face off after you hit him the first time.
    Dunning-Kruger is shooting at a snipers nest from 100m with your LMG full-auto and wondering why you got killed by a headshot three seconds later.
    Dunning-Kruger is driving an AP Lightning into a 2/2 Vanguards rear and wondering why your enemy turned the fight around so easily and killed you.
    • Up x 2
  16. FieldMarshall

I guess DK can also be applied to people who overestimates their psychology skills.
    And refuses to admit that they dont know what they are talking about by blaming everyone else.
    • Up x 1
  17. LibertyRevolution

I lol'ed.

I do this... but afterwards I say to myself, "well how did you think that was going to end...derp".

I can't stop myself from shooting at the sniper even though I know its going to get me dead..
    So is that better or worse off than being Dunning-Kurger? ;)
  18. GoyoElGringo

Yes, but the OP thinks it is when people are too arrogant or delusional to accept defeat from someone with more skill. He has completely misunderstood the Wikipedia page where he learned about it.
  19. uhlan

If you're going to use the Dunning-Kruger effect, the most apt use would be to describe the folks who do well in PS2 because of superior equipment and lack of any meaningful latency issues not understanding why there are so many "horribads" out there.

Completely oblivious to the fact that most people are not blessed with a good gaming platform and see no excuse for the lack of it.
  20. Klypto

While I do not agree that it is D-K in any sense, I do accept that being inflexible about a situation anx not learning from a loss to deal with issues if possible is foolish.

That doesn't change the fact that things like debris are retartedly broken, shotguns have a ttk disparity with other weapons, etc. With limited to no ability to counter in some situations. This is frustrating for other players which is why I am not surprised when killed by people using them they send apologetic tells.

His video of him clearing people out with a shotgun is exactly why I no longer use the Piston. It creates a false sense of personal ability that is almost entirely dependet on the gun itself. If not, then the same action should be easy to reproduce with other weapons.

Im sure Vonic was trying to prove a point when he obtained 400 kills using exclusively shotguns in less than two hours.
    • Up x 1