[Suggestion] Redesign HE cannons into AV

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ajma, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ajma

Very low direct damage. Low splash damage. Large splash area. Splash can damage vehicles.

A balance can be achieved to make them relatively ineffective when used solo, but highly effective when used in groups, especially against other groups of armor.
  2. Demigan

Simple but effective, I like it. Although I thought this was for HEAT cannons, not HE.
    Regardless, giving either this ability would help in their effectiveness and how many people would want to choose them over AP.
  3. ColonelChingles

I guess?

I mean I don't think I'd ever use it really. Splash works when 1) you can't accurately hit the target or 2) there are many targets in one small area.

Tanks are relatively large targets that are already fairly easy to hit. They're not small like infantry where you might need splash to make up for a miss. Tank battle also don't usually happen with one tank with a massive high-ground advantage where splash damage works best by shooting the ground next to the target, and in many tank battles either you hit or your shot sails on by where splash wouldn't matter. I suppose there might be a few niche applications of this cannon (shooting near a repairing tank that is behind cover for example), but overall the drawbacks would be severe and would not justify this weapon.

Since tanks are big, they don't often group up in a large ball where splash damage would be able to hit more than one tank at the same time. It might happen around chokepoints or something, but the norm is that tanks in a squad will be somewhat spread out. So splash damage isn't that effective here either.

The "strength in numbers" tactic also isn't too attractive... needing many splash-AV tanks to kill an enemy MBT isn't much better than needing 5 AP Vanguards to OHK almost any enemy MBT from the front. If you need more than 5 of these splash-AV MBTs to kill another MBT, you're better off going AP.

See, HE was (supposed to be) great against infantry because infantry are small targets that like to clump up, making explosives excellent weapons for taking down infantry. But fighting enemy vehicles really doesn't work the same way.
    • Up x 2
  4. Govedo13

No thank you. No need of nub tank cannons.

If the tank drivers must use AP and must learn to aim in order to kill small fast moving infantry then the wannabe tank drivers must be able to learn how to hit slow moving barn-sized tanks.
  5. FieldMarshall

I would rather have it reworked into a ES version of HEAT.
    At the moment there is little reason to use HE over HEAT anyway, so unless they buff it why not redo the whole thing and gain more faction flavor/variety.

Give it very general faction traits. Nothing big.

TR:
    1 extra round.
    Slower reload.

NC:
    More damage and faster velocity
    Slower reload

VS:
    Less drop and faster reload speed.
    Less damage