How do we balance MAXes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NLLN, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Grumblefern

I think a lot more people would use shotguns more often if they could use one in each hand though.

Not the same ratio. We both know VS and TR wouldn't accept NC getting their MAX weapons without also getting shotguns. NC probably wouldn't've cared if VS got a Canister. This is because...the NC MAX shotguns are good.

Nah, VS and TR have to aim and can take several shots to kill infantry especially HAs. NC MAXes can rush in and gib infantry left and right without needing much precision. They're harder to dodge around and thus less likely to eat rockets/C4 and in general take less damage from return fire at least within their 1-2 shot kill range.

It's more frustrating getting instantly killed before you can do anything. I can often escape or even kill a TR or VS MAX by ducking back into cover and readying whatever counters I have be it C4 or rocket launcher.

No, it's just a recommendation because it's been ages since they rebalanced the AI MAXes in any way, plus shotguns are "outperforming" according to usage stats if you put any stake in KPH and such. And, many people would argue the NC MAX is overpowered, if anything, not underpowered. There's no reason to expect a change. I understand you might not like them as well as VS or TR options but nothing suggests they're worse.
  2. NLLN

More, sure, but I bet LMGs would still be used the most. But this is a silly discussion because maxes are slow moving, so to get close enough to do real damage, you're gonna absorb a lot of damage.

VS/TR max sitting 30m away with an engy on their butt, shooting at onrushing soldiers > NC max camping a door, with an engineer who died after 50 c4s, prox mines and frag grenades were thrown into the building by the soldiers on the other side of the wall.
  3. Rovertoo

I dunno. It's like having two Pump action shotguns. One already OHK's, having two is just overkill. Mathematically overkill. It wouldn't decrease TTK or anything.
  4. Govedo13

Mattocks with slugs and ammo have faster real ttk then any vs or tr Max gun at 25 m. Vs and tr mercy and blueshift might have faster theoretical ttk but due to cof and bloom in reality the mattock performs better- no other AI Max gun can instantly ohk infantry so effective at such nice mid range.

They are at more then 25 m? Sprint/ shield to close the distance and outdps them.
    Currently NC Max outperforms both TR and VS Max both in AI and AV also have the most useful ES ability and the devs stated that the anti everything no skill point and click ravens would be fixed.
    I guess that the OP should learn to aim and should not call people noobs while he personally have no idea about Maxes.
    • Up x 1
  5. Grumblefern

I don't know where this NC idea that all you can do with NC MAXes is camp a door comes from. You can roam around turning infantry into paste and charge away when you get into trouble. Maybe in really clusterfunky fights you can't do much with shotguns but those are the situations all MAXes are better off spamming AV weapons into chokepoints anyway and Falcons are quite good for this.

Also, you don't need to stand within C4 range to camp a door. Mattocks especially have small enough spread that you can camp outside of most explosion spam if you need to.
  6. Leo Cyrule

This almost killed me with laughter. But Now I think about it. Yeah... that's true. Throwing NC a ranged MAX weapon wouldn't hurt. Preferably slow fire-rate, but hard hitting. The shotguns and flamethrowers (I think NC has the flame throwers) are just a night mare to deal with, and a reason to not make the range weapon too good.

EDIT: screw it. Give the rounds splash damage too. That sounds very much like NC.
    EDIT 2: DOUBLE SCREW IT! Make it a fricken gun that lobs explosive balls at a full auto- but slow rate of fire. High recoil, and severe bullet drop.

WHY!? Because NC needs all the OP guns they can get when they are evenly matched in pop on Connery.
    • Up x 1
  7. NLLN

I'm not sure what game you're playing, but this is planetside, where numbers mean everything and it's not exactly uncommon to be in 50 v 50+ battles. TR and VS maxes scales far better with larger numbers.

I guess if you exclusively play 1 vs 1 or 5 vs 5, the NC max is pretty good as you can charge to get up close to your opponents and take them out. But in a real battle, with bullets coming at you from every direction, you're not gonna do a whole lot with an NC max if you "roam around".

VS and TR maxes will still be able to do a lot of damage from a safe distance, with cover & engy support to stop the opponents from moving forward.
  8. Govedo13

Omg.. another one that never OHKed infantry with the slow fire rate hard hitting NC MAX Falcon gun. ..
    • Up x 1
  9. Leo Cyrule

... That's what they've been using? Jesus... I thought they were just looking at me, while I was getting peppered by infantry.

Can't be as bad as Vanu's High Risk no Reward Charge Pistol. The Charge Rifle is just awesome however when you learn how to use it. (So I heard anyways :x, and feels like it's worth the risk. No ammo. One shot kill on charge to the head. Or one shot to the body with a charge, then a semi-auto shot to the body. But it overheats promptly after and has a 4 second cool down.)
  10. Asageh

Why are you still arguing with this idiot?
  11. Govedo13

Well it is the default NC Max right AV arm gun.

NLLN do continue to entertain us please. As it seems you cannot make the difference between theoretical damage per mag, theoretical ttk and real one also you seems to ignore or not know at all what is cof and bloom and how they affect vs and tr lmg like guns compared to NC semi auto sniper like mattocks.h
  12. Jbrain

NC maxes need a medium range option plain and simple.. People in here say that NC max is the cqc king of maxes and it will never get a medium range option and I find that very unfair.. We NEED a medium range option because shotguns are completely useless passed 15 m.

Tr/vs maxes don't lose their ability to do dmg at close ranges now do they ? so why should be have such a huge limitation.. How would you feel if your dmg at below 15 meters suddenly droped to 20 dps ? that's exactly what happens to our maxes in reverse.. fair is fair right ? im being sarcastic so you understand my point.. Also the ammo nerf we got a long time ago should of been reverted.. 6 rounds, 10 with ext mags is just completely horse **** especially with the 5 second reload On top of all that..

Im also sick of hearing about how we should be stuck with shotguns cause its a nc thing.. really ? is that why every single class has access to a shotgun no matter the faction ? NC being shotgun faction died the day that happened.. we NEED medium range option on our maxes.. This is the single most over looked issue when it comes to defending and offending bases.. tr/vs can use their maxes as super heavy frontline soldiers while nc maxes cant do **** unless they charge suicide into your face. With a medium range option we would have the same capability across the board.
    • Up x 3
  13. NLLN

Actually, I haven't even looked at any numbers, because I don't have to. It's very clear that the NC max is underwhelming when you're in combat. Your numbers and 1v1 TTK don't mean sh iet in a 96v96 fight. We're not playing call of duty.
  14. Rovertoo

I think maybe we're getting a tad off discussion point. The original observation was that VS/TR pull much more MAXes than NC.
  15. Govedo13

Hello again for 4 th time do to Vr equip mattocks add slugs and extended ammo and one shot kill anything at medium range then go vs or tr Vr try mercy and blueshift and notice that you cannot one shot kill anything..
    Repeat with falcons if you wish same result then go vs comets and notice that they need 2 shots instead of one for falcons or try hard to compensate tr pounders drop at 30 m.
    You all are far from in-game reality ....
    If you are ignorant enough not to look the numbers your opinion that is based on personal experience only is not relevant.
    Also the original post was buff NC Max mid range AI options.
  16. Jbrain

Govedo13, really ? VR isn't even close to real fights. you cant make assessment based on VR.
  17. NLLN

18. NLLN

That's his problem. He's looking at TTK numbers on non moving targets that don't shoot back, and he's talking about "in game reality". Ruining my thread with his nonsense.
  19. Frostiken

The TR Pounder HEG is the single best MAX weapon in the game. It gives up a small amount of effectiveness against vehicles, but makes up for it by being literally as good as dedicated AI weapons. Every other faction has to generally stick an AV weapon on their MAXs if they want to fight other MAX units inside. The TR don't, they can blow everything inside up equally good. Ravens aside (generally just used as an NC MAX-mounted PPA), there's no other MAX weapon in the game that can serve two roles at once like this. Hell even the Ravens suck against aircraft.

The NC Mattock, however, is the best AI MAX weapon by far. The weapon stats on it aren't even close to being matched by anything the other factions have. NC definitely have the best MAXs with the Mattock and the Ravens. After the Raven nerf, and since the Pounders apparently aren't getting nerfed, that leaves TR with the best MAXs.

VS MAXs are the worst. Their weapons are mediocre. Not bad, but definitely not 'good', and they certainly don't have one that's laughably, stupidly powerful like the TR and NC do. Also, they don't even have a special ability.
  20. Grumblefern

I am not talking that small scale.

I feel like maybe the only way to prove my point is to post youtube vids at this point so here's one of the first ones that shows when I search NC MAX -

As you can see, the effective range does not relegate the NC MAX to doorway camping. You can be effective with it in fights with plenty of infantry, and indoors they're absurdly strong and wreck other MAXes harder than some AV MAX weapons.

Mattiace is also a pilot, not a very experienced or dedicated MAX user.
    • Up x 2