MBT need a complete overhaul

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scarlit, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Scarlit

Just my thoughts on the tanks in ps2.

To call the vanguard, magrider, prowler an amoured main battle tank would be a joke. A tank is suppose to absorb a good amount of damage on the battlefield while the troops can advance forward, as it is right now MBT are pretty much matches instantly getting lit up.. they get hit twice down to 20-30% health engineers bail out instant repair it and hop back in it is just really silly and not enjoyable to roll armour.

-They need an armour buff like planetside 1, tanks there could take alot of punishment.
    -Turret should turn much slower right now you can spin it like the wheel of fortune.
    -No more driver is gunnner, bring back crews where it requires team work for the driver and gunner to take the field.
    -forward speed should be reduced
    -since the defence would be alot more the repair time would be slower too.
    -600 resources to pull a MBT
    -magrider's main cannon would be moved to the top like planetside 1.

all this would make tanks in this game feel more like tanks. Instead of the engineers playing marry go round as they desperately try to repair their tank and get back into the fight just to do this a few more times then die. And no i dont roll armour
    • Up x 31
  2. Flapatax

At first I was gonna be like "screw you tanker guy, stop trying to make farming even worse."

But these are all very even-handed changes that would make the game much more interesting, and actually make tanks into useful tools to advance an attack and defend against armor rather than just 1/2 farm implements.

+1
    • Up x 1
  3. Alarox

The vehicle that performs a "tank" role best is the Sunderer. But honestly, I'm fine with how tanks are now.

If we remove HE will we be rid of this mentality? AI weapons are the least used weapons on MBTs by a huge margin.
    • Up x 3
  4. FieldMarshall

When i saw the thread title, i was "Pffft.. im going to click it and comment 'How about no'. Stupid MBTs, that will show them /grumpy".
    After reading the post, i ended up giving it a thumbs up instead
    • Up x 1
  5. CWorth

NO!!!!..

Until they make the tanks as they were in Planetside and not be able to be spam pulled by anyone, anywhere, anytime they like and have the numbers on the field cut down drastically then no you cannot have your tank buffs.Tanks have to be mucjh weaker simply due to the damn numbers of them able to be chain pulled and spammed.

Tanks right now can be pulled in god awful numbers because of Sony's everyone can do anything anywhere philosophy.

So until tanks are made so fewer can be pulled at any given time and stop the tank zergs you see then and only then can I agree with buffing tanks.
    • Up x 1
  6. WTSherman

Simply making it impractical to solo tank by separating the driver and gunner (plus making seat switching non-trivial, probably by having some kind of delay before it happens) would drastically reduce the number of tanks in the field.

Simply because if you have the same number of tankers, they're sitting in half as many tanks.
    • Up x 4
  7. Paperlamp

I'd still camp out and farm in a solo tank by switching seats.

This would give full 3/3 tanks an even bigger advantage vs. the plethora of 1/2(now 1/3) tankers(generally lower BRs farming infantry 'cause it's all you can do w/out AP+secondary AV+reload upgrades and so on) that stand no chance against them though which is... I don't know if it's good. I think tanker crews already have a major advantage just because there are so many poorly equipped tanks they automatically win against.

As TR, a 1/3 anchored prowler would still be worth pulling though. Hell, given an even number of tankers, 30 1/3 Prowlers > 10 of any other tank probably, if they use AP and lockdown.
    • Up x 1
  8. Alarox

So what is a tank supposed to do without other tanks to kill?

Will it go back to the days before the resource revamp where I would kill the 2-3 vehicles at a base and then have to drive around aimlessly hoping someone would feel like pulling another tank?

Tanks are already useless for attacking a base most of the time. Most assaults consist of surrounding the enemy base with Sunderers while the enemy forces stay infantry and camp inside. At non-primetime I struggle to find a SINGLE battle with multiple vehicles.

Sometimes I can't even find a base where a tank would be useful in the middle of the day.
    • Up x 4
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

bring it ooonnnn, folks!
    [IMG]
    design by Shockwave414
    • Up x 10
  10. Klypto

If you ever watched the movie Fury, that is how I wish tank combat was in this game, because it was awesome.

(The tiger scene was totally silly though)

I do not understand why you think that.
    • Up x 3
  11. patrykK1028

NO! THE WORST IDEAS IVE EVER SEEN.
    Only the part "move Mag cannon to the top" is good.
    And "no more driver is a gunner" is a freaking joke. I think its so bad that I would just stop playing PS2 forever. Complete wreckage of a game. Gunner already gets all the reward while doing only 20% job, you want driver to earn nothing for doing 80% of that?
  12. Clay

You mean MCP

Main Cert Pinata
  13. WTSherman

Any EXP your gunner gets is also given to you. It's already been like that for like a year.

It's part of how I'm able to rake in so many certs by driving a sundy. The only thing it hurts is my K/D ratio. o_O
    • Up x 2
  14. patrykK1028

Who cares about certs? Its all about K/D
  15. Flag

Who cares about K/D, it's all about fun.
    • Up x 6
  16. patrykK1028

Killing is fun. Watching your gunner scoring 50killstreak when you cant do anything cant be cool.
    Thats why Im not driving Harasser, Sunderer, Galaxy, Liberator and Valkyrie. I also dont drive Flash cause it sucks, and Scythe for the opposite reason - I suck at it. I only drive Magrider and Lightning. Magrider is way better of course. And this guy wants to make it useless for me, so Im stuck with Lightning forever.
  17. WTSherman

If that was true then nobody would drive sundies, drive harassers, fly galaxies, or play any class besides HA, Infil, and MAX.

If all you really care about is your precious K/D though, just find someone else to pull the tank and get in the gunner seat. Problem solved. :/
    • Up x 2
  18. BlueSkies

I love that we still get these "driver not gunner" MBT threads when over two years ago the lead vehicle designer said "Nope, not gonna happen."
    • Up x 1
  19. patrykK1028

Oh, thank you!!! Great to know they wont turn tanks into garbage.
    • Up x 2
  20. ronjahn

Actually driving people around in a harasser can be one of the most fun things in the game. If you can look past the fact that you aren't getting any kills, it can also be the most satisfying and rewarding thing you can do as well.

Some of my proudest moments in PS2 have happened after driving someone around in a harasser without getting many/any kills at all. Having an outfit memeber or random pubbie say or /tell me that I just gave them the best kill streak of their ps2 life is pretty damn rewarding if you ask me.
    • Up x 4