Worn down: a player's story.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by K2k4, Nov 19, 2014.

1. K2k4

So I played for a couple hours last night in what I can only describe as my worst play session yet. No matter what I did I kept getting stomped by my opponents. Even when I got the jump on them my bullets weren't enough to kill them. I have been playing this game daily since the last day of beta and I have spent tons of time studying strategies and trying to improve, but it all seems futile. My kd is pretty consistently around 1.3 at the end of my sessions.

It could be my equipment since my computer graphics cards in SLI mode are only nvidia gtx 550s. It could be that i tried to go back to light assault and my carbine skills have degraded. It could just be that I was having an off night. I just feel like I am not improving my skills despite my efforts.

I post this tired thread to ask if any body else is in the same situation. Or if you were and got better I would like to know how. I probably just need a break but any advice helps. Thanks.
    • Up x 5
  2. SerasVic

Don't try to kill people with candy canon bro, take a real gun...
  3. Flapatax

Off days happen to everyone, and the broken state of the game thanks to the half complete resource system lends to more spammy awful days than not.
    • Up x 7
  4. Naejin

Last night sucked for me as well. Hit detection was redicules. I could empty an SMG into someone from point blank range and it seemed like they'd still turn and 1 hit kill me with a beamer or candy gun or something. Then occasionally I'd fire randomly in someone's direction almost out of render range and still somehow insta kill them. I threw a grenade into a room full of enemies and killed a friendly--who wasn't even in the room, or the area, for that matter. To make matters worse, enemies didn't seem to render unless they were standing 5 feet in front of me and shooting me in the face. I swear I was playing in handicap mode.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hosp

I was about 1.25 prior to Upgrading my Vid card to a 650ti. That got me to about 1.5. OMFG helped quite a bit and got me up to 1.75. Slowly rising from there, part of my continued improvement is playstyle and and tweaking little things like graphic, controls etc. At 1.98 now, I'll probably break 2.0 in a few months. But from there, unless the devs seriously improve some of the hit registration & performance issues, I'm at a point where the returns on my actions are so diminished I won't see significant improvement in K/D w/o completely going into a farming type play-style.

It sounds like you still have things you can improve that can show some results. But there's quite a bit out of our control as well. But what'll really make you feel you're improving will be to ignore K/D and focus more on playing objectives. Be it game provided objectives or your own personal ones.
  6. Doc Jim

I had what felt like the absolutely worst session since the PS2-release on Sunday (it wasn't really) and most sessions since then haven't been much fun either. I don't know if it was because of too much partying during the weekend or if something was wonky hit-detection-wise, but bad sessions happen. And 1.3 isn't bad, it's above average if you ignore the fact that medics can wipe your deaths from your session K/D.
  7. SerasVic

have SSD but not a decent GPU ?

Well i guess not everyone has the same priorities :confused:
  8. Hosp

You're more than welcome to buy me one.
    • Up x 2
  9. Degenatron

I have good days and bad. Sometimes things just don't go my way.

What I've found helps a lot is to switch to an ALT. I just recently started playing my TR and VS alts and I've found that it is incredibly liberating to be able to throw on a different skin and just play the game for fun. Also, it seems that switching to the other empires mechanics really "freshens" my skills a bit as I compensate for the different style of gun play.
    • Up x 2
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

unlike other games like CoD or BF, rushing headfirst into the action and rambo'ing around does rarely work in PS2 due to the game's high TTK. taking down one target takes pretty long and once you start shooting at an enemy, 10 others may probably turn around and shoot at you simultaneously. add to that the massive scale and the multitude of enemies you're likely facing at a given time. that means, one man cannot usually get much things done

that said, try playing the game more defensively and 'laid-back'. use mid-range or long-range loadouts and support your teammates rather than being in the first row on the frontline. use cover and vehicles to mask your approach. be sneaky and take the longer path around an objective rather than the direct road over an open field or something. dont play too risky but dont play like a coward either. then again, deaths happen and they happen often in this game as you can get killed in various ways and by various people. just something people gotta accept
  11. Crator

Interesting, I had a bad session last night as well... Pretty much the same thing a the OP describes... Not sure if something was wrong on Emerald last night or I was just having a bad session...
    • Up x 2
  12. WUNDER8AR

Just having an off day. Yep definitely happens. Though I realized that mostly it comes down to just plain lag. Especially since the last update. Lag, lag, lag. Hit detection is all over the place. The lag increases exponentially with increasing player numbers on a continent it seems, often to a point where I have to lead my shots on moving players approximately 10m in front of me. Because I play like several seconds in the past despite my supposed avarage latency of 80-90ms. Or I die from out of nowhere with just the sound of a decimator rocket in the background, and the moment my body starts falling towards the ground an enemy heavy pops up on my screen, actually visually shooting said deci at me.

You can have a great day where all your senses and reflexes are razor-sharp, but when it's lagging like that it all doesn't matter anymore and your initial thought of course is that you're just doing bad. But if you watch closely how enemies move and where your bullets go, you will more often than not see that it's all just a thick pile of pudding that you're supposed to move and shoot through.
  13. OminousZ

Actually, I had a bad night as well. Apparently, it may have something to do with the servers or game itself because there are other post floating around about degrading game play skill by other players. Not sure what's going on. My accuracy is usually pretty good, but last night i was having issues to the point where i had to re-adjust me sens.
  14. Bazmatties

Game is definitely not running very smooth lately.
    • Up x 2
  15. Corporate Thug

Listen to these guys, K/D doesn't matter much at all. There are too many factors to even consider K/D an indicator of your level of performance. Are you attacking or defending, size of group you are with or solo, are you a camper, is the server performing well today, is the fight one sided, are you being camped in, how badly outnumbered have you been at the fights you accepted, is your ping fluctuating wildly today, and a million other questions. You could alter your play style to do better, but playing the way you want to and ignoring the bad will lead to more fun. Besides, not everyone with decent stats is decent at this game, most times they chose a role and stuck with it, like redeploying for easy defenses or running with a squad that enjoys fighting and capping bases with medic balls.
  16. OminousZ

Ahhhh....huh? I think we are talking about degrading performance lately having to do with the game because a lot of players are reporting same?
  17. Corporate Thug

The OP asked himself if his system performance was the cause of his bad performance. He was trying to diagnose his issues but it could be any number of reasons in this massive game. The problems could be on either his end or the server's, possibly both or neither. I just reassured him that entertainment is most important in a game of this scale.
    • Up x 2
  18. bubbacon

Happens to all of us K2 at some point. That's why I have toons spread out to other servers on various factions.
  19. Andy04

I can not play any more that 20 mins a session these days out side of OPS because the game IMO has gotten worse instead of better after these last patches and I predict they are going to get worse in the next couple of updates. rendering and animations are wonky, walls go missing, hit detection drops in and out as pleases very random, Mouse sensitivity seems to have a mind of its own, bases are horrible to fight in way to crampt, redeployside is always a pain, Weapons that are rarely used because they just suck nothing new and FUN being brought to the table at all without it being the OP of the month, Hitching, slow re-psawns, bad connections.... the list goes on and on and there is no end BUT HEY HAVE A GLOWY SHIELD ARMOUR AND WIELD A KNIFE THAT WILL ONE HIT KILL, YEP THAT IS GOING TO HELP!!!!
  20. OminousZ

Yeah, there's still issues, but why you do keep playing then if it's that horrible?