What is the general attitude towards the Hailstorm SMG?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dualice, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Iridar51

Somewhere on the border between "horrible" and "unusable". In theory, it should perform similar to Armistice - after all, 800 vs 896 is not such a big difference as between 30 and 60 rounds per mag. But in practice Hailstorm just takes too long to kill.

Hailstorm does feel a lot more stable at range due to better recoil pattern, but considering it's an SMG with pathetic bullet damage, that doesn't mean much.

With Armistice, there's a certain range where you can kill a target even if it's too far for you to engage, provided you get lucky with horrible horizontal recoil. With Hailstorm this range is much further, but shooting an SMG this way is not an optimal way to play.

Hailstorm is good where it doesn't matter, and sucks where it does.
  2. breeje

well when using the armistice i do get one fast kill when lucky 2
    when using the hailstorm i get 2/3 kills sometimes 4, i only lose a little firerate
    NS smg's are great but sill can't kill 3/4 players

my gameplay is to sneak behind the enemy, find some cover and shoot 2/3 players and run
    this works very well for me, no other TR smg can accomplish this
    i do have to say in a face to face i will most likely lose
    and this is the problem for most players with the hailstorm, wanting to play face to face
    or flank, kill and stay in the same area just to be killed by the next guy

every weapon is a good one if it fits your playstile, the hailstorm fits mine perfect
  3. breeje

i knew my post would shake some ground and still i think my opinion is right
    yes it's not a easy weapon you have to get the feeling for it
    once you do and if you do, you will see it my way
  4. Wildclaw

Hailstorm sees about 2/3s of the usage of the Armistice. That is not what is considered a low-usage weapon for statistical purposes.

I am looking really hard and I can't see it. The Armistice and Hailstorm has been crossing over each other again and again for the whole 6 month period that ps2oraclestats has been collecting data. The average BR for the two weapons are obviously very close to each other. It seems like you are trying hard to see something that match your theory even though it isn't there.
  5. Dualice

Cool, I'm liking the pro-Hailstorm responses that are appearing. Breeje you certainly have a point about wanting to play face-to-face fights - it's certainly how I judge the effectiveness of a CQ weapon. Heck, with most weapons. Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle!
    • Up x 1
  6. Tanelorn

It's one of the first guns I auraxiumed. I was frustrated with it too at first but "Aim for the T" and pick your fights.
  7. Bonmortical

No matter how bad a weapon is, there are players who will defend it.

There's a guy on this forum who swears the Polaris is the best VS LMG.

There are people who think Battle Rifles are fine.

The Hailstorm is just a downgraded Blitz with an excessive extra 10 rounds per mag that aren't worth its higher TTK and worse horizontal recoil. It puts you at a substantial disadvantage in the majority of situations, while giving only a minor advantage in very, very ideal circumstances where you can manage to kill several people with your weak DPS and very inaccurate weapon before reloading.
    • Up x 1
  8. FocusLight

"You are wrong because I said so."

Nice claim of yours.

Provide something to back that up with, perhaps?

I have left my arguments for why the Hailstorm is sub-par as an SMG, and my arguments for why it's a decent weapon on it's own. The problem is the supposed role it's filling and how it don't do that in any way that is acceptable. The Armistice does however.

Engage with my arguments and tell me how my assessment is wrong, not just how you see something else in the stats I cited to back my case, because in case you missed it, those stats do back my arguments. If you want to make the claim that the stats can mean something else, feel free to provide the alternative explanation.
  9. sustainedfire

The Hailstorm was alright when it was released.

I auraxiumed it quickly. With advanced laser, it's a very precise instrument. Aim to the head.....

Though after I auraxiumed Hailstorm, I did not use it again- save after getting extremely bored with the TR identical carbine offerings.

It was worth the unlock.
    • Up x 1