Fix Galaxy spawn above bases

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ajma, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ajma

Having people spawn on a galaxy at 700m+ above a base is bad game design, as there are no tools to shoot at the thing from the ground and the air game is already dominted by some players. MAXes and Skyguards should first be able to aim straight up, while either SOE should introduce a long range AA weapon or make Bursters and Skyguards able to hit consistently at those distances. The other, third option, would be to force Galaxies to drop on the move by halving the fall damage invulnerability timer.
    • Up x 12
  2. Borsty

There's so much wrong with Galaxies in general, like just landing it on top of some building in small fights and bulldog everybody away. Yeah sure, in a big fight that won't work, but the actually small fun ones totally get ruined by that.
    But then, SOE and base design... you won't believe how easy it is to get a battlebus onto the capture point in most bases. Even indoors.
    • Up x 1
  3. gigastar

If a high flying Gal is an issue, pull your own Gal and get up there for a face to face talk.

By which i mean you fly up his *** at top speed.
    • Up x 7
  4. \m/SLAYER\m/

One G30 Walker will make it fly away
    • Up x 4
  5. Borsty

Yeah sure, there you are fighting 6on6 or whatever and you have to redeploy back to next base, get some tank with a proper AA gun ontop of it, drive over, push the Galaxy away....
    Even if it works and your teammates didn't redeploy as well because they got spawnkilled 5 times in a row each or the base isn't lost yet, it's not fun.
  6. \m/SLAYER\m/

but Gal drop - is organized invasion, why you > enemy Galaxy?
    • Up x 1
  7. Borsty

It is, with its guns and HP, balanced for really big fights. In a small one, the fact that it can simply land in the middle of the base and kill everything, kills the small fun fight.
  8. ajma

What does this have to do with anything? Even an organized squad can't deterr a Galaxy doing this in a small fight, against even numbers. It's not a problem of organization, it's a problem of lack of tools for ground players to defend against this kind of thing.
    • Up x 1
  9. Zotamedu

Give us the ability to aim straight up and the problem is solved.
    • Up x 12
  10. Prudentia

The Counter to a Galaxy is 100certs and 450 ressources

(i should know, i fly skywhales)

[IMG]
  11. Borsty

Yeah, it's 450 resources and might be not available at same base.
  12. Prudentia

there is always a base you can spawn at that can spawn a lib... period... it's hardcoded into the spawnsystem...
  13. Borsty

It still isn't the same base.
  14. \m/SLAYER\m/

200 nanites for Sundy - not expensive
  15. Borsty

Also, this discussion is not about how to get rid of the damn thing, they problem is that it can get in or just hover several hundred meters above and be a spawn.
  16. Riku

I fix it by wrecking it ;)
    You should try harder, maybe. :|
  17. Prudentia

If you always pull your vehicle in the base that is under attack i found your Problem.
    it's an Aircraft FFS it flies 200+km/h. if you can't spend the 30 seconds to pull a lib wreck the gal and then proceed like normal it's your own fault
    • Up x 4
  18. Pirbi

Well the defenders do get a little protection from SOE killing half the people dropping from them via a bug.
    • Up x 2
  19. MrJengles

Galaxy spawns also got mentioned in this thread: Add Spawn Queues

My reply:

"The Galaxy spawn vs. beacon is complete nonsense, unbalanced and undefendable in my view:

On the one hand we have a beacon with severe limitations: long timers for all SMs, one beacon per SL, long replace timer if destroyed, dies in ~3 shots and is accessible to infantry. This is considered balanced.

On the other hand we have a Galaxy that, apart from costing resources, beats this on every front. No respawn timers at all, as many as you need per squad, no hard-cap timer - only the soft resource one but you can rotate pilots, takes a ton of fire to destroy and can fly at max altitude so only aircraft or a large amount of AA can deal with it.

IMO, the Galaxy should not have squad spawn at all. It has far too much HP and should be used as a transport vehicle.

This would give the Valkyrie a powerful (but not overly so) niche by allowing squad spawn. Although it should still have a spawn timer like the beacon."
    • Up x 5
  20. HadesR

They should keep the bug and make it a feature ... For every hundred meters you drop from you have a 10% chance to die on landing.

< 99m = Totally safe
    100 - 199m = 10%
    200 - 299 = 20%
    300 - 399 = 30%

etc etc

Risk / reward

:)
    • Up x 5