Indar Locked: Subliminal Advertising?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inex, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Inex

Over the last couple of months, I've come to realize the game is at its best when Indar is locked.

First (but maybe not foremost), is the absence of Indarside. Pops generally even out on the other continents, fights are everywhere and good times are had by everybody but those people whining in /y about how Indar is locked. Not seeing 70% NC pop on your continent is a nice change of pace.

But that's not the insidious part of it. If you happen to be playing the faction that owns Indar, it also opens up the skies.

Now, ESFs are normally 350 Nanites - a 7 minute wait between pulls. That doesn't sound like much, but we've all been in the position of "Pull ESF, get 400m from terminal, get bushwhacked by random Reaver that happened to be waiting for you". Getting shot down 30 seconds into your flight makes that 7 minutes seem a lot longer. And a much better reason to just spend those Nanites on medkits.

With Indar owned though, that's down to 175, only 3.5 minutes. At that price, all you need is one good run and you're topped off and ready for another 3-4 chain pulls.

And it's a wonderful feeling. Join the Sky Gods! Rain down Hellfire and Breakers and Hornets and C4 from above! Addictive, exhilarating... not terribly effective (let's face it - you're new at this). But the important part is you're playing the vehicle game and having a great time.

There's a looming shadow though. In 45 minutes, that Amerish alert is going to finish and Indar will unlock again. And then it's back to same-old. The pops will go back to the Crown, ESF costs will go back to normal, and you'll go back to some Biolab grind.

Through a neat trick of math, the -50% cost of ESFs has an equivalent. If somehow you could just double your Nanite income, then you can have an Indar lock all the time. And you can do that too. Resource boost + membership is double Nanite income.

And it struck me. Is locking Indar a marketing ploy? "C'mon man.. here's everything you want to buy for a couple of hours. Feels good, doesn't it? Here's the deal kid: I have bills to pay..."
    • Up x 5
  2. Dieter Perras

This made me laugh :D

TBH I don't know why so many players like indar I've never thought it was anything specail.
  3. barunedpat

It is a marketing ploy, and it is confirmed Higby sits down at his computer at every Indar alert, using a to-be-nerfed weapon to make sure it does not come down to a tie.
    Once, during a stalemate when the continent was at 33-33-33, Higby himself lead his faction to victory in his ZOE infused Mosquito dualwielding Banshee and PPA in the main slot, with lolpods and Ravens in the second slot.

I cried tears of joy at this sight as me and my 100 man outfit was ripped to shreds in seconds. The alert ended 98-1-1
  4. FieldMarshall

Glad i dont play on that server.
  5. MotionBlured

So the ability to buy ESFs cheaper (which a majority of players don't use) is somehow a subliminal message to spend? I've seen some leaps in logic, but this is more like cliff diving.
  6. Borsty

Damn, where do I need to move to see more than 20% NC pop for a change?
  7. FateJH

If this is any sort of subliminal advertising, it's by pilots, and the OP must be complacent to the conspiracy.
  8. Inex

Every game has a map like Indar. The community latches onto a map, sometimes seemingly at random, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to change. Honestly, I'd probably blame it on Crown. That base produced the sort of multi-hour fights that you'd get in old FPS maps like 2fort4 (another "why the hell is this the most popular map" example). Had that base been on Amerish, we might be talking about "Amerishside" right now.

PRAISE HIGBY!

Come to sunny Connery!

Don't come to sunny Connery!
    • Up x 2