Players warping and flickering at range

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Nerazim, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Nerazim

At any medium sized fight or above, any player who isn't close to you will warp around like crazy. You'll see them "flickering" and the game doesn't seem to know where they actually are. This makes sniping unbearable and it ruins immersion. Very hard to track your target when they are constantly vanishing and reappearing in different places.

I wish I could record a video to demonstrate what I mean by this. If I was to make a sniping montage it'd make PS2 look shoddy.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    • Up x 5
  2. TheNewGuy

I'm getting a slightly different problem. The game works fine for a while (around 30 minutes). After that players start warping around the place and its impossible to do anything. Anyone got a fix?
    • Up x 1
  3. ConradHorse

I bet those are connectivity problems. When everything flies around I get yellow or red 'connectivity warning'. It has begun about a week ago. Although in my case, for the 'total flying around' I'd also look into my ISP provider as it happens that web pages dont work either. But for 'warping at the distance' Id look into soe<->my isp route or soe alone because my ping generally is under 100 and connection is 10/45mbit I think it's enough for any game
  4. Velicc

Lower your graphic and your render distance. Worked for me.
  5. Schwiizer

like this?

I have the same problem too. Reloging is the only solution I know.

Here what the support wrote me:
    If issues still persists, run your Planetside 2 Launchpad and log in, but do not press play. Click on the Advanced Tools icon (looks like a hexagon surrounding a wrench) in the lower left and then choose the option to open game directory. In the window/folder that comes up, locate, make backups of, and delete the following files:

PlanetSide2.exe
    UserOptions.ini
    SoundSettings.xml
    LoadingScreen.xml
    InputProfiles.xml
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

Once these files are deleted, close the Planetside 2 window/folder and go back to the Launchpad > Advanced Tools/Settings menu. Click on the Validate Game Assets menu option and then press the green Validate button to have the Launchpad check your game files, and download any missing or corrupt files.
  6. RedStar2017

I have the same problem Nerazim has. It is not as bad as what Shwiizer has but still. What is strange is that as in topicstarter s case it occurs only at 70+ metres distance(it can occur closer but rarely). And connection status is shown as poor always(i have 10 mbits per sec and checked connection with tests- all is ok). I did what Shwiizer described but it didnt help. And by the way i dont think that perfomance has anything to do(i have 60 fps on max settings). Although when i get killed, there are issues with killer info panel- character of the player who killed me sometimes is not displayed or displayed without head!(without turret in case he was it tank) which is wierd.
    The problem is that i cant say when it started cause i ve played PS2 quite long ago before decided to return- i had worse internet then but no such issues.
  7. rhan101277

I played last night and had the issue that ya'll are talking about. I'm gonna play again tonight and see how it goes. It does suck really bad seeing players flicker and stutter when you have a good connection. This just started after the most recent patch.
  8. RedStar2017

I ve done more observations and it happens to be even weirder now(btw ping 150)
    1- vehicles dont lag at all
    2- only hostiles lag
  9. DK22

yeah ok that's fine... but did it WORK?
  10. Aaren

There's actually two separate issues being discussed in this thread.

1. Connectivity issues - which cause (and have always caused) - players, vehicles and other entities to fly and warp around the map. This is usually due to network congestion or packet loss ie: your client isn't getting regular and reliable updates on where everything is - so they dart around all over the place. Usually your in-game connection quality will be at Bad or poor during these periods. Or your ping will be very high.

2. Distant entity rendering bugs. Where enemies at long range (100m +) will skip and warp around the place due to unknown reasons. Most likely because of an patch introduced sometime in October. There is also suspicion that the "headless" enemies bug, and this one are related. In this case your network connectivity is likely not the cause - as indicated by Good, connection quality and low ping during these events.

The OP's description appears to be that of number two, while a lot of subsequent posts appear to be more along the lines of issue one. There are some steps you can take (and SOE will ask you to if you report the problem to them) - to ensure your connection is cleared of as much suspicion as possible. These include things like - disabling DoS protection on your modem / router. Ensuring your outbound ports are being forwarded, and tracert'ing the server IP to ensure you are not suffering packet loss.

The second issue seems to be more of an issue with the game client itself, and no amount of tweaking of your own hardware or connection is likely to resolve it.
  11. Nerazim

This is exactly what is occurring. I've been sitting on ~70ms GOOD the whole time. I meant to mention in the OP that sometimes the enemies have no heads, but I totally forgot about it even though the two issues seemed connected. I can still shoot the "heads" assuming I can actually track the erratic warping movement.

I'll try lowering my model quality setting and fiddling with the render distance, to see if it makes any difference.
  12. Aaren

In all likelyhood it won't. Render distance slider only affects the flora and terrain - nothing to do with infantry. Model quality might possibly do something - but as this is a problem common to many different people's machines and configurations - it is more likely it's a serious bug with the client itself.
  13. Tanelorn

I've been having this problem for a couple months now. In heavier fights enemies at mid-long range are being tracked by the game at intervals of about .5 seconds, making them warp. It's almost impossible to engage them in such conditions.