As a MAX user, it's obvious MAXes are overpowered

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WorldOfForms, Nov 12, 2014.

1. GrizzV

Max op?
    My LA with C4 says hi.
    my heavy with a decimator and av nade wish you all the best.
    my engie dropping tank mines on friendly claymores waves at ya.

So I guess I can't 1v1 ADAD a max with an smg infil at < 10m.
    that's ok.
    • Up x 2
  2. WorldOfForms

Because I tried to help someone deal with MAXes that means I'm saying they are not OP? What?

Was I supposed to say "Well they're OP so there is nothing you can do. Bend over and kiss your butt goodbye"?
    • Up x 1
  3. WorldOfForms

Lately I've been running full Flak armor and for the most part HA and LA have not been a problem. I can eat a brick of C4 or a Rocket to the face no problem. Often I swat LA out of the air before they can drop the C4. And if they try to bait me into a C4 or mine trap, EOD HUD II solves that problem.

Note that I'm calling MAX OP from the point of view of a MAX. You as LA are going to encounter a LOT of terrible players in MAX suits that are so bad even the MAX armor won't save them. That is why they might not seem OP to you.
  4. MaxDamage

So. You're admitting there are so many unsuccessful MAX players that this long time player might not have met someone who "knows how to use one properly".

And you don't see the fault in your logic.
  5. Utrooperx

All I know is as a TR MAX...w/ full Flak...I fall over pretty quick to a single C-4 brick being thrown stupidly far distances...but VS MAX...ummm...conc grenade/Deci/C-4 later...I'm still dead...VS MAX walks away...

Darn.

:(
  6. WorldOfForms

No I don't see the fault. Feel free to explain it to me.

Are you saying that unsuccessful MAX users is evidence that the MAX is not overpowered? Or are you saying that he must have encountered competent MAX users and still had no problem beating them, therefore they must not be overpowered?

I'm not saying a good player cannot overcome a competent MAX user. I'm saying that in the scenario of 2 good players, the MAX has too much of an advantage. In the scenario of a bad player versus other bad players, the MAX is too good. In the scenario of a competent MAX user versus bad/average players, the MAX is grossly overpowered.

Or maybe I totally misinterpreted what you were saying.
    • Up x 1
  7. FateJH

You don't need to fret. It takes two C4 from full health when you have max rank Flak Armor, regardless of whether you're VS or TR. One will, of course, still hurt like hell.
  8. MaxDamage

The MAX sacrifices:
    Mobility.
    The ability to flip points.
    Cloak ability.
    Grenades.
    Replenishable shields.
    Medkits.
    Extreme explosive utility.
    Ability to deploy sensors.
    Any kind of lock-on weaponry.
    Redeployability.
    Squad spawn options.
    Vehicle spawn/pilot options.
    Turret gunning.
    Scopes/NV.
    Jetpacks.
    Implant options.

Amongst many other options available to other classes.
    He pays 450 nanites to live a little longer and get a few more kills.

That is exactly his purpose, a MAX is stripped down to ONLY that.
    To call it overpowered for being occasionally successful at its ONLY purpose in the right hands, is absurd.

You speak as if K/D or deathmatching alone is the game.. which means perhaps Planetside isn't for you.

So yes.
    You fail to "get the point".
    • Up x 3
  9. WUNDER8AR

[IMG]
  10. Leftconsin

I'm going to point out now that
    My KDR with the Butcher (the TR auraxium LMG) right now is 2.311
    My KDR with the Mutilator (a TR MAX AI weapon) right now is 2.328
    Anecdotal at best, but all anecdotes combined does equate the whole story.
  11. xxxdevilsownxxx

Thanks for the tips, I kill two of them today haha :) unfortunatly I died countless
    of times in the process. But I don't know what you mean by slow? The once I
    was fighting was really fast?
  12. Idoubts

Experience and better gear always win. You made a bad point.
    Just because you know how to make MAXes shine does not mean that even half of the people using them know how. They are not OP they are just right. If you think they are OP just because you are doing good with them then I suggest you rethink that,
  13. Stigma

Exactly. There is only 1 "counter" to a MAX that works indoors - and that is an AV equipped MAX. Of course that's only a counter as long as the other MAX isn't an AV max too, and since AV maxes still wreck infantry almost as badly as AI versions this pretty much means that the MAX is the top of the food-chain in all regards. Anything that kills a MAX kills all the other infantry classes with less effort, and for the most part anything a HA could contribute to your team a MAX could do better.

The fundamental problem with the MAX as it stands is that it has no significant downsides or tradeoffs. It is just a super-HA and a straight up buff (at a resource cost, but unfortunately resources are absolutely trivial and meaningless currently). In PS1 it turned sluggishly, you could not run outside of travelmode (which locked you out of combat) so your mobility was limited, and since the whole TTK of that game was so different you were primarily a damagesponge and not a murder-machine. Did I mention you were helpless as a MAX in and around buildings because you could not open doors on your own?

How is it in PS2? MAXes can not only run, but they can run and walk at something like 90% of the normal infantry speed. You can't easily outrun or hide from a MAX as he runs for all intents and purposes just as fast unless you are considering marathon distances. Maxes also have 0 limitations on turning. They can 360noscopeheadshot just as well as other infantry. So much for that bulky suit. At least they can't jump and parkour up on buildings and such in that half-a-ton suit... oh wait - they can. As a final insult they get the ability to charge - an incredibly powerful offensive and defensive movement ability. All things considered the MAX is (aside from the LA for obvious reasons) the most mobile infantry unit in the game. You don't run away from a MAX - it runs YOU down... and there's nothing you can really do about it.

-Stigma
  14. AFK1

MAX units are basically a way to play Halo/Unreal Tournament with all of the perks and none of the drawbacks. You don't need to to ADS, you don't die quickly, you don't need to wait in a corner for your health to regenerate (Engineers can just follow you around like TF2 medics)... but you still get to instantly kill enemies; just about every gun in this game can kill people at close range, before their computer even tells them they are being shot, and the MAX is no exception. Unless you run into bricks of C4, or stand around getting shot by heavies, you're pretty much invulnerable, and still instantly kill everyone

With Flak armor upgrades you can increase your odds of survival even more, as long as you stick with your team, the 200 medics will revive you even if you do somehow die, and on that note, you only need to wait a few minutes to get 450 resources (even less considering that you go down to 300 from 750 for the first one). I occasionally "die" in a MAX if I get separated from my Engineers, or some lucky Light Assault kills me with his C4 spam, but then I just get revived

The only way to actually lose a MAX is to get horribly out of position from every engineer, and every medic, and then wait for some happy accident like two Heavies pumping rockets together, or a BR 100 C4 hero to fly in and kill you
  15. Axehilt

I agree with most of what you've said, but I think for teamplay purposes this bit must remain unchanged. But I think the one thing you could do is increase the 1-2 secs it currently takes to reach maximum sprint speed. This would still let the MAX relocate alongside teammates, while directly reducing the MAX's ability to react to incoming trouble.

But I think all the other changes you've suggested probably improve MAX balance better (and mostly in ways that don't make the MAX feel clunky to use, which I think is the better way to balance them.)
  16. Mxiter

You know that maxes have 2 weapons?
    If you take in account your second weapon (according it have the same KDR) you max have: 4.656KDR...

Failed.
  17. Metalsheep

MAX units are supposed to kill mass infantry. They sacrifice everything for the Damage/Armor necessary to make them a Indoor Tank.

A MAX cannot capture points. Which is the whole point of Planetside. To capture territory for your empire, and push the other two off the face of Auraxis.

Kills are secondary, a means to an end. Which is capturing the point.

Thats great that a MAX can crush half a squad, but he wont be flipping that base by himself.
    • Up x 1
  18. Leftconsin

Not quite. Wouldn't you expect a class that costs nanites and does nothing but kill people to actually... you know be better at killing than a class that costs nothing?
  19. Mxiter

I was just pointing that your KDR arguments was bad.

Maxes cost nanits and have much better KDR than any standard infantry class.
  20. Leftconsin

OK so how was my KDR argument bad? You only said that MAXes have two weapons and declared my post a failure.