TR: Happy with current striker?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Embermote, Nov 13, 2014.

1. RykerStruvian

2. Tycoh

Nope.

It needs more ammo. Lots more ammo. And many other things that i doubt would even be considered.
  3. zaspacer

The current Striker is very bad.... but it's not necessarily in a bad place.

Why It's Very Bad
    * They radically changed it from what it was originally: how it operated (lockon) and what niche it filled (riskier to use but hit harder than other lockons).
    * The current Stiker has no role and is ineffective against all targets.

Why It's Not Necessarily In A Bad Place
    * SOE appears to have started out conservative in setting the power balance of the new Striker, and has already adjusted it once, so maybe they are just slowly tuning it up until they find a "good place" for it.
    * The new Striker has enough totally different things about it compared to other Rocket Launchers, that conceivably it will find a unique niche which will make it handy in a way others can't fill (like the other ESRLs).

But as it is now, it is very bad, and I do not use it (though I used the nerfed older version A LOT). For the record, I am a heavy ESF flyer who often is dangerously close to enemy Inafntry (using Light PPA, Hornet, A2A Nosegun on Infantry... or just hovering low behind a hill or parked on a Bio Lab and using Scout Radar), and I have only died to the Striker 1 time. And that one time I was taking hits from many sources and the Striker just happened to be the final one to kill me. (the Striker itself did some low % damage on my death screen)
  4. Morti

wut?

It's a pocket coyote launcher that's useful for fighting A2G aircraft. Sure, it's more of a deterrent when used alone, but guess what, so is every other ESRL.

The strength of the striker gets scary when used in pairs, allowing two TR heavies to gib lolpodders in a few short seconds. It doesn't even give the pilot a lock warning.
  5. Hoki

oh ok, nm
  6. QuakerOatsMan

The current striker—AV-wise—functions and performs very much like a fracture in that there's a low chance you'll be hitting/killing anything that moves mid-long range due to their CoF and having to compensate for drop (unlike the phoenix/lancer, raven/vortex). In other words, the striker (and fracture) leaves the TR heavily lacking in the high-precision, long-range AV category. A squad of strikers can only do so much compared to a squad of phoenixes or a squad of lancers if you consider longer engagement ranges (likewise with the MAX ESAV weapons, but that's for another thread).

Strong, mobile AA capabilities against hovering ESFs as an infantry class is a plus, but it is not exactly what anyone wanted the striker to be, and that functionality could easily be replaced by an AA MAX, the grounder, decimator, etc.
    It is still a falsely unique weapon.
    • Up x 1
  7. zaspacer

No.

I fly a lot of A2G Scythe. As I said, I've only died to Striker once.

Dumbfire Rockets can one-hit-kill and are dangerous. Lockons (especially since most ESFs using Fire Suppression now) are often lethal in multiples (coordinated) or if paired with a good Burster strike or an ESF that can chase you down after, and at least will drive off an ESF for a short duration. But Strikers are a non-threat from ground forces, once they miss I just give them space or single them out and take them down.

I've even stumbled across 3 HA's with Strikers on the eastern edge of the land arch just north of Allatum Bio Lab. I just saw a bunch of whitish projectiles and minor damage, and then I came back and took them out with Light PPA.

Coyotes are only good on the ESF because the ESF has the mobility to setup (distance and facing) the Coyote volley, and then have the ability to stick on that enemy ESF and continue the attack.

I've heard Strikers are good in multiples on Valkyries. And this makes sense cause a Valkyrie has the air mobility to setup (and maintain) the Striker volleys, so it's kinda just having Coyote on a Valkyrie.
  8. AdmiralArcher

well.....at least its unique
  9. S7rudL

It should be laser guided against tanks if you press B.

I cant stand to lockon deal with tanks, I cant stand to deal with tanks as a infantry man overall at all. So I don't.
  10. Typhoeus

Nope. It still sucks. If it would home in on ground vehicles and max's like it does to air units, I might use it. Also needs to fire all rockets at once, or if not, in very quick succession. I mean emptying the mag in under a second.

Gonna keep using annihilator and ml-7 for now.
  11. FieldMarshall

My biggest problem with it is hitting moving aircraft. Sure, you may hit one rocket, but its not really worth it over the Grounder at that point.

I wish it had a secondary mode for AA.
    While in AA mode, the rockets would follow the crosshair while still retaining the hyena mechanic. Allowing you to hit moving aircraft.
    The downside would be that it did reduced/no damage to vehicles/maxes (dont want people to have a hand-held raven launcher)
    While in normal mode, it would function like it currently does, except it doesent have the hyena mechanic.

Feels a bit like the flaklet from PS1 at this point.
    You do ok damage to close range aircraft if you surprise them, but die a little inside every time they slowly fly off while you wait for the long reload.
  12. Huishe

13. RoofLurker

It needs some more unique features. My idea: anchored firing mode. It'd take 5 seconds to transition in and another 5 seconds out, would set the launcher's weight to infinity so you can't move, and increase velocity, firerate, and reloading speed by 50%.
  14. cyb_

So we can call it the 10-seconds-suicide-launcher?! Somehow I think being glued to the ground for more than 10s on one spot in the open as a heavy is OP... :rolleyes:

Press redeploy - it would be the same, no damage done and you can spawn again.
  15. Huishe

Why didn't i think of it before? Anchor mode, yeah! That's the spirit. But with wire guidance. It'd be basically mana av turret.
  16. Spezieh

Thats not so a bad idea. More velocity and a wire guide system would make it more comparable the Lancer or Pheonix as they both need no lock on and they can be guided. Yeah i know the Lancer is not guided but it almost instant hits your target when you push the trigger.
    So Pheonix or Lancer are nice to hit "slow" moving targets. TR has no rocketlaunchers to hit for example a magrider over a little distance as the unguided one will just miss them when they strafe around and the lock ons have not enough time to lock as a good mag-pilot will strafe behind some targets.
    The pheonix can be guided into that moving target even behind the cover. The lancer could hit them instantly doesnt matter how much they strafe. But dont try to hit such things with the striker. Even for AA purpose is the striker now worse than it was before. Your shots wont get close enough to the target to trigger the coyote mechanism.

If SOE likes the coyote mechanism for the striker that much, then pls give it the mechanic vs. groundtargets too. Or just change it to a wire guided system.
  17. TeddyMan56

I liked it better before the redesign when it was claimed useless and could still lock on to both tanks and aircraft.
  18. CMDante

******' nope. Next question please.

In all seriousness; it's okay as it is. Could use more velocity so it can actually catch its intended prey.
    Also, let it heat seek ground targets.
  19. barunedpat

Striker is still bad and will always be bad.
    I still love it, no other RL can give you that feel when you just empty lots of rockets into the air and get a hit marker, no aiming needed. Perfect for hectic situations when you want to scare away careful pilots and still keep your mobility.
  20. Cyrek

Just adding rank 1 stealth to your aircraft disables the homing capability of the striker, it is disappointingly garbage.