PlanetSide 2 Occulus Rift Support?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cookie5000, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Cookie5000

Anybody have any...
    • Thoughts
    • Opinions
    • Information
    • Sources
    • Questions
    • Ideas
    On this topic? I would think it be kinda cool to play PlanetSide 2 in Virtual Reality it would completely change the whole experience. Although I am still waiting for Nerve Gear for Immersion, Occulus Rift is the best thing we got right now!
  2. Zotamedu

[IMG]
    I think that picture is over a year old and it uses the first dev kit so SOE have had a look at it.

It would be cool but there are a great deal of development that needs to be done before it's actually viable. First off, the commercial version needs to be released. Then there's the problem of user interfaces that is not actually properly solved yet. I know both Oculus and Valve are spending a lot of time trying to sort out a user interface that feels natural with the rift on. Then there's the problem of how you move move infantry. They still haven't really sorted that out yet to get it to feel natural. It works fine for games like flying simulators or mech games where you can just use it to free look inside a cockpit. That makes sense and you have some nice visual queues on where you are looking in relation to the vehicle you are in based on your surroundings. But in a first person view, that's get pretty disorienting. Locking the rift to do the mouse work of aiming apparently feels highly unnatural. So games have tried the free look concept of the mouse controlling where the gun and cross-hair is, basically where you character is aiming and letting the rift move the head independently of the body. This apparently gets extremely disorienting for a lot of people since you lose track of where you are and where you are aiming.

I think it would work great in the first person view in aircrafts but there is at least a year or two of extra development needed to make it work properly for a first person shooter. The tanks would be odd since they do not have an interior like the aircraft and the sunderer. You just get an overlay with the main gun and that has limited speed which would make you vomit instantly if you tried to control it with the rift.
    • Up x 1
  3. RykerStruvian

I wanted to start this topic again without actually making a new one. I asked if Planetside 2 would have NVidia 3DVision support on release on the beta forums and Codemonkey replied saying that it was ideal. At the time, they had the NVidia team working on issues like the GPU bottlenecking with physX but haven't heard anything about NVidia 3D vision since then. But given the amount of time which has passed, I wanted to know now if the oculus rift would be supported since NVidia 3D vision 2 isn't.

Because PS2 with oculus rift at ultra...would be like...damn :eek:
  4. GrizzV

5. FLHuk

Sony product.... It'll kill you on patch day!
  6. Aldaris

Looks precisely the same as the Rift. How is it superior?
  7. GrizzV

From my experience with them at E3, better resolution, better responsiveness, and PS4 support, but those weren't final, so frankly, not sure what will get released on either end. I also don't care much, virtual reality is far from going mainstream still. for better or worse.

No doubt. Part of the fun. They'll probably patch you back to life within a week though. Then hotfix that patch for another few days after that, and you'll be fine.
  8. Copasetic

The rift needs 75 fps rock solid to be a good experience.

I rest my case.
  9. InoxGecko

Project Morpehus, compatible with EVE:Valkyrie

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Aldaris

I get that all the time on high\ultra at 1440p. Case reopened :p
  11. Copasetic

In a 96/96 tower fight?? What are you running, a water cooled CPU at 5 GHz?
  12. barunedpat

I'd rather have Virtual Boy support. The only downside would be that you'd always see TR everywhere.
    • Up x 3
  13. FateJH

Something I've wondered about the Occulus system (and Morpheus). Do they have to load all of the 3D scene objects into the pipeline a second time with a shifted frustum to capture both the left and right eye placements, much like most multiple view rendering I am familiar with, or did they come up with a clever preprocessing trick?
  14. Aldaris

Water cooled at 4.4ghz at turbo, no permanent OC just yet, and I'm GPU bound anyway so CPU is irrelevant.
  15. patrykK1028

Look at that board in the background. WTF are they doing there? Drawing cats?
    SOE FIX DA BUGS!!
  16. MajiinBuu

I've never heard of Occulus Rift. Well, actually I've heard that term before, but I have no idea what it is. Those giant goggles, do they make it look like he's in the game or something? Whatever it is, my peasant PC won't use it :oops:
  17. ZenitHMaster

does my celeron e3400 beat ur cpu man?
    • Up x 1
  18. MajiinBuu

19. RykerStruvian

Oculus Rift is a 3D virtual headset for gaming/movies/cyber sex/whatever. The only reason why I think it has great potential is because of the team behind it. One of the programmers is John Carmack of id Software, pretty much a living GPU god. And the Rift was bought by Facebook a couple of months ago for over $9999999999 gazillion dollars.

Either way, everyone whois used it that I know says that it's seriously super hot ****. I'm pretty excited for it. The dev kit works with some hacks for different games and recently it is fully functional with Alien: Isolation. I think theres definitely a few more games, don't remember what though. Retail pricepoint is at $300-400 I believe, pretty afforable versus other previous VR sets.

Now, I have ran Planetside 2 with NVidia 3DVision 2 and I can tell you it is -******* incredible-. The only problem is that it has a ton of problems which makes it extremely painful to do. Things are on different layers, theres fairly poor convergence, and obvious performance issues. But for the 3D that is visible, which is the entire screen, it still looks pretty awesome. Just not something I'd play with ever unless it was fixed. And I wouldn't use 3rd party hacks to get it work either just because, well, SOE :p

3D might sound stupid, but once you play something like Metro 2033 or Mass Effect in a dark room with 3D, you'll feel spoiled and not go back to 2D :p The only problem with the Nvidia vision 2 are the glasses, tbh. They get painful to wear with sennheisers.
  20. ZenitHMaster

• Up x 1