Hossin no longer "Early Expedition", but...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Degenatron, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Degenatron

There are still a lot of (what I think of as) Place Holder bases. Many are named "Construction Site X" and some have real names.

Is it safe to assume work will continue on Hossin to finish out these bases?
  2. Lord_Avatar

Actually those bases tend to work quite well despite being placeholders and many people came forward asking SOE to keep them as a standardised template akin to towers.
  3. AshHill07

What makes you assume that "Construction Site" bases are bases that aren't finished yet and not ... well ... construction sites.
    • Up x 1
  4. McToast

Moin

Well, I hope they fix some of the issues on Hossin, but to be honest, I'd rather like to see them work on the 5th and 6th continents. For a "real" continent-lock system with more strategic depth we definitely need more continents. They don't have to be as big as Indar, actually they could be a lot smaller, but seeing how long it takes them to implement one continent I'd like to see them work on new ones instead of fixing every little detail on those we already have.
    • Up x 3
  5. Degenatron

And Snickers are great candy bars but I don't want to eat one every other meal. I like those bases too, but there doesn't need to be a bunch of them. The devs already get bashed enough for not having varied base designs.

You mean besides the fact that they are template bases with generic names that have been gradually replaced over time with completely rebuilt bases?

Even with a name like "Construction Site" you'd expect something more like the Ymir Mine and not just a building with nothing depicting actual construction.
    • Up x 1
  6. Degenatron

Well, you know it's not like I'm asking about floating blades of grass, a missing ammo tower, or something trivial like that. And out of something close to 80 bases, 10 of them are "generic place holders", most of which are in the north which could be unfair to teams based on warpgate rotation. It seems like a pretty fair question considering the stuff most of the community harangues the devs about.
  7. Degenatron

Also, depending on the answer to the first post, what effect will this have on the "Work In Progress" Streams?
  8. WorldOfForms

Also, what happened to Interlink facilities? I thought those were close to done on PTS like 6 months ago...
    • Up x 3
  9. ATRA_Wampa-One

With the way server pop's have been going I doubt we'll get any more continents.

I do like the idea of smaller "battle islands" that cap out at around 100 players per faction max and each one having a different restriction... like one can't spawn air (Forsersal since the theme would be dense tree cover), one that can't spawn vehicles (cap points/bases are closer together and operate like new Amp stations with a spawn room attached to each one, maybe Cyssor or Solsar), and one that's only vehicles (Searhus because toxic fumes).
  10. Degenatron

I had floated an idea a few months ago that would allow them to continue to add an unlimited amount of continents, no matter the populations:

When a continent is locked, everyone is forced to redeploy instantly. You just get kicked out to the deployment screen.

Then, the shard that is running that continent unloads the locked continent and loads the next continent to be unlocked. This would allow the devs to have an unlimited number of continents running on a limited number of server shards. You could probably run an entire "planet" of twelve continents on five server shards: two or three for the unlocked continents, one or two for cuing up the next continents to be made available.

All of this is off-topic, but it does relate back to what projects the environmental artists will be working on. It would be a shame for them to not continue to create more continents - they've really just scratched the surface of what is possible with Forgelight.
  11. Stopper

Matt Higby said the CS were place holders destined to be progressively replaced :

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/next-live-update-news-and-status.190580/

By the way, they need to update their maps of the continents on the website : they're not actual ; even the one of Indar hasn't taken into account the revamp of the terrain between Crimson bluff and N's Material storage.
    • Up x 1
  12. ATRA_Wampa-One

I don't disagree with you on that, but my thoughts were more for competitive game play since right now it's limited to either base fights which are for 6-12v6-12 and aren't really different from other competitive FPS games, and server smash which is 288v288 but an absolute pain to plan, coordinate, and organize.

Having smaller continents would allow for some competitive 48-96v48-96 games which I think would be a huge amount of fun and would be much easier to organize than server smash.

Hell, make 2 that are infantry only and 2 that are vehicles only so there is a bit of variety but I think 48-96 outfit sized skirmishes and 24-48 MBT competitions would be hugely popular both with players and spectators alike. You could even just make them non focused continents but just something smaller than the ones on live right now so that smaller competitions can happen without it seeming like the major continents are barren.
  13. Leftconsin

NO!
    There is no hope for further construction!
    ALL HOPE IS LOST!
  14. Degenatron

[IMG]
  15. Stigma

Havent gotten to play in a few days - did it just get changed or have I just not noticed?

I think Hossin isn't in such a bad place. it doesn't seem like a "beta continent" in the the sense that nothing seems to really be broken about it. For the most part its just those few placeholder construction site bases that makes the continent a little less varied than it otherwise could be.

I don't really see a few bases being identical as such a huge hassle, but I'm not a great fan of that base design in general. The design seems a bit too easy to hold for attackers. Once you get a certain number of people inside that central structure - enough to cover all the entrypoints from multiple angles it becomes a deathtrap from anyone who steps inside since there is very little cover on entry, elevated protected shooting positions, and very wide angles of potential fire you have to account for. You basically have to break it with a MAX crash or significantly larger numbers. All the while you are very exposed to enemy vehicles all the way from the spawnroom and as far as I remember there aren't even any alternate routes via a teleporter.

I do hope they make the effort to at least refine those construction sites a bit and don't just go "its good enough". That would be a bit of a shame considering that they otherwise did a fairly good job on the continent overall.

-Stigma
  16. Pirbi

Construction sites should have port-a-potties and the blue liquid kills. Hit me up if you need a base designer, SOE. o_O
  17. Degenatron

That change is a part of todays Hotfix.

I completely agree with everything you said which was why I made this thread. Hopefully Radar will get a word from the Environment Team on this stuff and let us know.

I like the base ok, but more than one or two is a bit much. And with the work they've donr on all the other bases on Hossin (really, I think they are the best bases in the game) every "Place Holder" would feel like lost potential.
  18. Stopper

I have visited the three new bases on Hossin (Fort Liberty, Oupost Lamnda and OMR Terraforming), with an ESF then on foot with a LA.

There was no fight at all but my first impression is that they are very good, especially Fort Liberty and OMR Terraforming. Those two in particular are very nice and offer a great design for infantry fights, with a slow and careful progression from cover to cover.

That's also why Hossin's bases are almost always among the best bases of PS2 : not only the environment and landscape around are great, but the environment and layout inside, with all those plants and rocks.
  19. Yuukikun

close to done on PTS 6 months ago? We'll be lucky if it reaches live by next year.
  20. Fortress

I really enjoy construction site bases. They are simple and encourage some solid siege gameplay, which this game needs more of.