Either fix PPA, or nerf Canister

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mechwolf, Oct 30, 2014.

1. vanu123

For the past few months all we heard was "Make marauder and canister on the same level as the PPA." Well where are they now?
  2. Flag

Ignoring the magburner, it's actually possible to accelerate ever so slightly faster with the Vanguard than the Magrider.
    Why ignore the burner? Well for starters it won't always be available even at max rank, but it's also to compare the base tanks themselves. When comparing the Prowler damage output, do you assume that it's always anchored? Ofc not. And for the VG (to a point) you compare the durability without including the shield.
    But why? To be able to make a fair comparison on 3 distinct and different platforms.

Even if you don't want to go about it like that the Vanguard can still accelerate stupidly fast, if you know how to do it (gear skip).
    Some call it an exploit, but seeing how SoE knows about it and haven't done anything to prevent it's use it is a perfectly valid part of tank comparisons.
  3. SpartanPsycho

I knew this was coming. You infantryside foot putas can't stand AI can you? I was running the canister today. I promise you, its not OP. #BuffnotNerffactional counterpartsforbalancing

**** you, infantryside
  4. Rift23

Meh. Welcome to the Flavor of the Month.
  5. Movoza

Have you checked the stats? For MBT secondaries, the Canister is only a bit higher in kills than the Marauder. In KPH, it is more impressive, but well within my subjective margin of where weapons can be within each other (http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kph&weapon1=3404&weapon2=3707&weapon3=4007). Some faction weapons are stronger here, others there. The PPA has lower stats in KPH, but still has more kills.
    For Harassers, the Marauder outperforms the Canister(http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kph&weapon1=6125&weapon2=6124&weapon3=6122). Surprised me too, but the oracle of death doesn't lie. I also can't think of any outside influence that might explain this difference, so my conclusion right now is that the Marauder is better on the Harasser. But again, this is well within my subjective margin that some weapons perform better and should not be touched as it is balanced in a way.
    The PPA might be nerfed, but you can expect a buff when the stats will stay so low for at least a month. Getting your weapon nerfed is no reason to start bashing on other faction's their weapons with only a highly subjective "it has this possibility, so that possibility makes it OP!".
  6. Nody

Gear box shifting said hi, why don't you love me anymore to accelerate up to max speed in under 2s?
    • Up x 1
  7. StillMostlyClueless

As someone who heavily uses both Marauder and Canister I don't get why this surprises anyone. The Marauder has splash damage and a much longer effective range than the Canister. It's much easier to spawn camp or tower camp with a Marauder than a Canister.
  8. Goretzu

There's two things to consider there.

1) in any balance discussion it is always (apparently) assumed that the Vanguard will have its shield ready and waiting.

2) terrain, it makes a significant difference except on the very flatest parts of PS2.
  9. Cyrek

Vanu inquisition: Umm Hey NC those toys you got there seem a little too powerful, could we have SoE look into them?
  10. Alarox

Yeah, it isn't bad. It isn't overpowered but it isn't bad.
  11. Xasapis

Best performing vehicle AI choice in the game right now for MBTs, surpassed only by the VS Kobalt (by a very small margin).

OP is overused as a term on these forums. Something can be a leader in its category, while not over performing. People don't seem to wrap their heads around this crucial distinction.
    • Up x 1
  12. Alarox

I just want to point out (to everyone, not specifically to you) that KPH is inflated for these weapons. Ex:

[IMG]

VS Kobalt has the highest KPH but only 1.5 hours of time used per day. Those 1.5 hours are mostly from people using it as a legitimate secondary and getting a moderate KPH. The rest of those 1.5 hours is from people who swap seats in their MBT and inflate the stats.

I totally agree.
  13. Movoza

I've played the other ESAI, but never the Marauder. So I can only assume what is being thrown around on the forums. So the Cannister has more true use (at least in my eyes), and the Marauder is more a farming weapon at choke points and spawncamping, as I understand correctly (?). That makes the Marauder compete at a higher level than one would expect, as it is difficult to use anywhere else than those choke points (?).
    In both events, I suspect they are still within my subjective margin that it doesn't have to be changed. Also in comparison with the metagame, I think it has it's proper function. If the PPA however doesn't start performing better, it should be buffed. Right now, we should wait for more stats, as a lot of people are still clearly using this thing wrong, using it at greater distances where it loses it's power.
  14. Agartha

The problem now with Vanu is that we depend to much on state of the art technology for our weapons (looks like it degrades over time), we should better go back to older technology...

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  15. Mechwolf

The more I read these posts, I just felt as though a shotgun with more TTK at range than a burst fire gun was a bit ridiculous, but according to most people on here, I guess shotguns with more range than a burst fire is normal. And should be accepted.

However i believe some reduction to the COF of the PPA is quite needed due to the AOE nerf (which was needed), and the fact that it should be decent at at least mid range. This new PPA has more recoil than any other gun I've ever seen.

The damage feels low, but it COULD be because of how bad the COF is.
  16. iller

Top speed doesn't mean anything for Tanks. They're not ESF's or Harassers. Tanks have to shift back and forth quickly or use cover in order to dodge or have "Sustain" in largescale battles. That's where the Vanguard is the absolute worst tank in the game by a large margin and the dataming has proven it consistently the entire 2 years this game has existed for.

Yeah but that last one you could just shoot at the living room Lamp and also get kills with.