HC1-Couldn't be a Pulsar C

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Butterlander, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Fellgnome

Eh, I think they do have more NC devs but I don't think there's any major bias, just they suck at weapon balance. All factions have had their periods of having pretty severely overpowered things that took forever to get nerfed.

As for the Cougar...well... I'm trying to get on board with VS at this point lol.
  2. Drasilov

Or keep all the weapons as they are and shoot better.
  3. NConical

35 round mags of 167 dmg apparently not enough for TR to spam targets down at range, now they want no bullet drop as well.

Maybe you should try learning to aim, like the NC have had to do since day 1.
  4. Fellgnome

NConical more like NComical
    • Up x 3
  5. Butterlander

Cougar (and Razor) are higher horizontal recoil than most 167dmg for no reason too, and they don't even have advanced grips. @550 RoF you'd think they'd at least have better accuracy. The angle bias also really ruins them for headshots, at least for me personally, and makes them harder to lead with countering a lot of their velocity advantage.

They're just bad design.

Corvus I'd agree is still worse though, and the other weapons you mentioned. But for TR, the Cougar was their big new "we finally get a 167 carbine" and then they screwed it up. Corvus, at least you started with a crap long range AR so there was no big disappointment. :D
  6. iller

IMHO, I don't think any Carbine should be doing this, unless it's granted through a Burst / Semi firing mode.
    ...As a bonus to compensate for the difficulty in tracking, the user would also get a bonus to Flinching resistance.

Then Battle Rifles could also be greatly buffed but their downside would be NO headshot Bonus at all.
    IOW: Asymmetrical balance b/c too many guns are getting way too similar these days. Greater role diversity is needed
  7. Stargazer86

The TR generally get middling weapons that are more generic and general purpose than either the NC or VS. The NC get weapons that are absolute headshot bonanzas. Just a little while ago I spent an entire day off my TR main to fool around with an NC alt just to see the other side of the fence, and boy did I wind up jealous. The NC get some really lovely weapons that I had a blast using, namely the Gauss Rifle, Mercenary, and AC-X11. I spent a day doing the same thing with the VS and just loved the Pulsar C and Orion. Those were the only ones I owned, but even just trying out the Cyclone in VR made me willing to toss the Armistice and Hailstorm in a heartbeat.

Yet, on TR, I can't think of a single carbine that I actually enjoy using. Yeah, most of them are fine, but none gave me the sheer joy the Merc, AC, and Pulsar did. The Trac-5 is serviceable, Jaguar is okay, Cougar is myeh, I loathe the AMC, and I despise the new SMG Lynx. I would trade all of our carbines for any one of the three I mentioned in a heartbeat. I'd happily chuck the Cycler in favor of the Gauss, both the Armistice and Hailstorm for the Cyclone, and would gladly give up the Carv for the Orion.

The only TR weapons I'd refuse to part with would be the Repeater, SABR, and the Chaingun. That's it.
  8. Axehilt

Why would anyone want a Pulsar C over the AMC or the Cougar? Such a crappy magazine size. Both Cougar and AMC are fantastic guns for ranged carbine play.
  9. minhalexus

True, but when I started playing Planetside 2, all I saw was TR posters everywhere, TR overpop everywhere.
  10. Butterlander

Cougar:

Lower vertical recoil
    5 extra rounds

Pulsar C:

Higher RoF
    Lower horizontal recoil
    Advanced Grip
    No recoil angle bias
    Faster reload
    Better hip-fire

Maybe I'm missing something but uh... that's why I want a Pulsar over the Cougar. I can aim well enough that having way worse stats overall is not worth a measly 5 extra bullets.
  11. Voidsnore

No, no they weren't.

Here's the most popular thread from before it got changed:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...he-new-lynx-and-the-new-tr-hc1-cougar.181198/

More mentions of Mercenary and Pulsar C than Razor in there.

Some quotes from first page:

There's also some fairly amusing posts with NC freaking out about how overpowered it would be, which is funny because they got a buffed version of Cougar version 1. Apparently 5 rounds is worth a lot to SOE 'cause Cougar got better recoil pattern and .75 ADS when they moved it to NC and took off the 5 rounds.
    • Up x 3
  12. T0x1s

Corvus is awesome. Also remember that SABR is only 2x burst. Not that its a bad thing. Just saying...
  13. ATRA_Wampa-One

The Orion and Pulsar C are literally our two best guns so it's no wonder you enjoyed them. The only other guns we have in the "amazing" category would be the SVA-88, VX6-7, and Terminus. Outside that your opinion that we have great guns will change dramatically.

Seriously look at the Jaguar. That thing is nuts both as a hipfire CQC gun as well as a medium range headshot machine. Also look at the Lynx which is literally a gen 1 SMG with a 40 round magazine, much longer range, and better accuracy. I basically play LA exclusively on TR weeks and those two carbines are just crazy good.

Also, the TR have probably the greatest selection as well as the best AR's in the game.[/quote][/quote]
  14. McMan

T5-AMC is not a peashooter, it is one of the best carbines out there. It is a range weapon like razor, pulsar, cougar that can do very well close up because of higher rate of fire. Put HVA on it and it will extend your min damage by 18m=5%more damage at all ranges and increase your bullet velocity to 650m/s!!

Use HVA, adv. Grip, Compensator for longer ranges or Laser, flash suppresor for allraunder ;)

T5 AMC, Jaguar, Trac5, Mercenary, Razor, Bandit, Pulsar, Zenith and Solstice are the best carbines for general combat.

PS: why do people think 650/143 guns are peashooters but NS-15m is not?? 0.75 is overrated....
  15. Fellgnome

I agree about VS. They have a few solid-outstanding weapons, and then a bunch of junk.

OTOH I disagree about TR. Jaguar is good, but it's not a headshot machine: it's horizontal recoil is too high for that. You can sort of burst fire it but you're not going to be getting headshot streaks a Pulsar C or Mercenary will get.

The Lynx being a gen 1 SMG is also not really a good description. People like to compare it to Armistice, but the Armistice is the second worst SMG in the game so that doesn't say much. Lynx also doesn't have the .75 ADS that all SMGs have. I won't rant too long about the weapon since I have a pretty strong negative opinion about it, but the short story is that we still don't have a carbine to equal GD-7F, Serpent, or even VX6-7 TTK. Instead we have a weird weapon with higher rounds per mag, and higher RoF, with low damage per bullet negating much of the TR advantage as well as making it pretty inaccurate/jittery, and yet it's still worse TTK.

It's okay as a short range bullet hose, but I still don't see much reason to choose it over the Jaguar.

AR's, I think Terminus and Carnage are competitive with any individual TR AR, but overall I agree TR's selection is the best.

Putting a laser on a T5 AMC is a complete waste, its accuracy depends on the advanced grip otherwise it's just a high velocity Solstice with lower RoF.

It's called a "pea shooter" because it has weak damage output from both lower tier bullet and low RoF. It's worse TTK than Pulsar C or Mercenary, and only slightly better TTK than Razor and Cougar but those both are better with headshots.
  16. Stargazer86

A lot of it may come down to personal preference, but I just can't stand the wibbly-wobbly nature of most of TR's weapons. The Jaguar's horizontal shake wrecks it at medium range. It's alright, don't get me wrong, I Auraxiumed the thing after all, but it just doesn't hold up in comparison to the Pulsar or AC. And I just plain hate the Lynx. Can't stand it. It's nothing but a rapid fire bullet waster that's hardly better than the Armistice, one of the worst SMG's in the game.

As far as AR's go, I'm actually not too experienced with anything other than the SABR and Cycler. I quite enjoy the former but the Cycler can go suck on a railroad spike. I'd switch it with the Gauss Rifle in a heartbeat if I could. The TRV and TAR seem like just more close range bullet hose options, though I'd have to play with both more to provide a more informed opinion. Likewise, for other factions I've only used the two default guns on top of the Carnage for the NC. I just love the Gauss Rifle. It's accurate, has good punch, and I can pop off so many headshots with the thing.

When you get right down to it, I mean, I just can't think of a TR weapon that I'd label as "amazing" in the same manner I'd use to describe the Pulsar C, Orion, AC-X11, ect.

If there's anyone out there, do speak up. Would you rather us any of the TR guns over the ones you currently have? I don't really hear many VS or NC clamoring to scoop up the TMG-50, MSW, or T-32. Anyone? Orion for the Carv, maybe? I'll handily toss you the Jaguar if you give us the Pulsar C. Probably not, eh?
  17. NoctD

The Cougar and Jaguar are terrible carbines. Lynx and T5 AMC does a better job respectively. But nothing is equal to the Pulsar C.

The NC have the AC-X11 and the Merc and the Bandit, tons of high damage carbine options, they can avoid that stupid Razor GD-23 like the plague if they so choose. The Cougar is just a way more expensive and similarly useless GD-23 clone.

In all fairness, its not like the VS have a ton of great carbine choices either. The game is so tilted towards favoring the NC these days its just stupid.
  18. Corezer

You mean like.... the Cougar?
  19. ATRA_Wampa-One

Jaguar for the Pulsar C? No, but that's only because I personally think the Pulsar C is the best carbine in the game and wouldn't trade it for anything. Jaguar for the Serpent/Zenith though and you'd have yourself a deal provided the damage per mag stayed the same when they swapped factions or at least the Serpent keeps it's 30 per mag on TR.

As for the TMG-50, if you compare it to the other multi-role 167/577 LMG's it's hands down the best one with the SAW-S taking second place and the Flare coming in a distant last so I would trade the Flare for the TMG-50 in an instant, and I'd also trade the Pulsar LSW for the CARV-S twice as fast. The MSW is a solid gun, but I personally don't like any 750 RPM LMG and you really shouldn't knock the T-32 since it's performance is on par with the Polaris which is what I would consider our third best LMG.

AR's though... pick any TR AR besides the TAR (because we already have the H-V45) and I would trade it strait up for any of our AR's except for the Terminus. You seriously have no idea how crappy the VS AR selection is since before the Terminus came along the NS-11a was legit our best AR... now it's just second.

Oh, and Claymore, Prowler, and Banshee is easily the best in it's class in the game so it's not like the TR don't have toys that are widely considered the best.
  20. Butterlander

I mean like.... the Pulsar C
    Or the Mercenary

The Cougar is just a slightly better or worse version of the Razor or T5 AMC depending on who you ask. It has the same weak damage output, thus relegated to plinker status - for bursting at long ranges but garbage at any distance TTK/RoF matters at all, just not quite "pea shooter" status because it has higher bullet damage.