Any Phaseshift Aficianados?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jac70, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jac70

I am currently grinding through the Infiltrator master directive. After Auraxium'ing the V10, I am now 150 kills from doing the same with the Parallax. I want to change my Inf playstyle. Grinding through this directive I have come to feel that sniping from a bush 200m away from the battle is both unsatisfying and a bit lame. I want to become a more close/mid snap sniper.

I have the Spectre already but I really like the mechanic of the Phaseshift. I like the concept and the look of the weapon. Seems to me that as a semi-auto the Spectre is quite a bit better than the Phaseshift but then it doesn't have the OHK charge mechanic.

Most people say the Phaseshift is just not a good option but is there anyone who uses it and loves it?
  2. Get2dachoppa

The Phaseshift seems to be one of those love it or hate it kind of weapons. I'd recommend you trial it first (if you haven't already) to see how it feels outside the VR. FInd the right battle and the right position with the Phaseshift and you can farm like there's no tomorrow. However, I don't think the Phaseshift fits that close/mid snap sniper role you want to practice. Maybe you should try the Ghost?
  3. ATRA_Wampa-One

195 kills away from auraxing my Phaseshift and I can tell you that for good or bad it's the most unique sniper rifle in the game. It's also pretty much useless for anything but farming the oblivious, however at that role (and really that role alone) it is insanely good... to the point of being almost OP.

The two things to keep in mind with this gun is that because it has no bullet drop a suppressor only effects it's velocity and that Hossin will makes getting kills with this a breeze.
    • Up x 1
  4. Plague Rat

I have a VS character just for the phaseshift. That's the only it reason it exists, for me to hop on a play with it when the mood strikes.

The thing is I'm predominantly a semi-auto user, so I had none of the issues going into it the more BASR-oriented players tend to have with it, which likely comes from seeing the charge up as the primary means of engagement rather than the semi-auto fire, only using the OHK as an attack of opportunity. I think that difference in perspective is probably the biggest factor in determining whether a person will love it or hate it.

From the perspective of a semi-auto sniper user looking at it as such, the Phaseshift is a good weapon and I prefer it over the Spectre.

Compared to the Spectre, the differences in velocity and rate of fire are of little consequence. You probably won't be shooting at ranges where 20m/s will ever even matter, and I almost never utilize the full rate of fire on these weapons since being precise will generally always result in a quicker and cleaner kill than shot spam. The only time I ever pushed it was when the opportunity for a quick double-tap headshot presented, and with the Phaseshift that's the prime opportunity to use the charge shot instead, which is ultimately more comfortable.

If you like and are comfortable with the spectre I see no reason why you wouldn't like the Phaseshift, but if you tend to think of semi-autos as more of a novelty then probably take a pass.
  5. AnuErebus

To be fair, pretty much anything is OP when it comes to farming the oblivious. The Phaseshift's advantage is that you can farm the oblivious for longer without needing to find ammo.
    • Up x 1
  6. Doc Jim

I recently auraxiumed it and it's still my infiltrator's primary weapon.

Pro:
    - flexible weapon, semi/charge
    - 1HK capable (200m or 185m silenced)
    - no bullet drop: silencer becomes viable
    - infinite ammo
    - faction flavour

Contra:
    - charge mechanic means you will also have a short delay when popping off uncharged shots as you fire on releasing the trigger
    - relatively modest damage/range/velocity compared to the other 1HK capable weapons

I really like this weapon despite its limitations, trialling it is the way to go and if you want to auraxium it, Hossin is the place to be.
  7. SpruceMoose

what scopes do you like using on it?
    I'm struggling on the semi-auto side of it
  8. Plague Rat

I probably use the 7x the most, but I also use the default 6x pretty frequently. Most of my engagements with a semi are within 150m, with the bulk of them probably in the 60-100m range so either of these scopes feel just fine for that.

I have a preference for lower magnifications in general, even on BASRs I rarely run higher than an 8x. I have an easier time tracking and leading with them, but that might not be the case with you. All I can really say for certain is that the 10x and 12x scopes are probably overkill.
    • Up x 1
  9. Doc Jim

I use an 8x scope, it's not so good for the really close ranges, but it's strong enough out to the maximum 1HK limit.
  10. Jac70

I already have the Ghost so I will give that a spin. I would like to be able to put a 2x on the Phaseshift and I don't see how that would be detrimental to balance. It would mean that the OHK headshot range would be severely limited due to the fact that you wouldn't have the zoom to see targets out at maximum damage range.
  11. Jac70

I Auraxiumed the Parallax and had about 100 Sniper Rifle kills to complete the Master Infiltrator directive.

I unlocked the Phaseshift with a grip, 10x and suppressor. I noticed I needed to get 60 kills to complete the expert tree on the Sniper Rifles directive so I put a 2x and Suppressor on my Ghost and tried a new close assault Sniper playstyle. It was hard work, I found getting that headshot on close/mid moving targets was very hard and a miss would mean a death. Even though it was hard and not really viable it was satisfying when you pulled off a snap headshot.

So 40 kills left to 800 sniper kills I equipped my Phaseshift. First impression, it's terrible, Proving the adage that VR is nothing like the battlefield. The velocity is slow for both shots and charged shots. The kick is large when using it semi-auto and the chamber time means targets will get to cover before you get the kill. Charged shots expose you for the duration meaning you likely get sniped before you get your shot off. The travel time coupled with the pause means your target will likely have re-deployed to the next hex before the shot arrives. Hip fire is incredibly bad, standing 5m away from a stationery target. Aim at the chest and the round will still fly inches past their arm.

Those 40 kills were like pulling teeth but I want to like this weapon. For now I will be putting down my sniper rifle and pulling my SMG from the locker. This game rewards shooting as many bullets as you can over actual aiming so looking forward to some payback for all the spray and pray scrubs out there :eek:
  12. Rigsta

Stats-wise, the Phaseshift is only something like 5% worse than its contempories in the semi-auto & bolt-action categories in most respects. The exceptions are:
    • Rate of fire (uncharged) - significantly worse than the Spectre & Phantom.
    • Trigger delay (uncharged) - it fires on releasing the fire button. Other weapons fire when you press the fire button. This seriously messes with your timing.
    • Charge-up delay - requires your target to be more predictable compared to other weapons. The charge can be extremely short though, to be fair.
    • Magazine size (charged) - two shots and you're reloading for 3-4s. Ugh.
    If you're looking for something a bit less unwieldy than the Parallax, the V10 is a joy to use within 200m.

-------------------------------------------

Most people use the 4x crosshair scope with the Ghost, me included. It fits the weapon perfectly.

Initially, I did the same thing as you: I used a suppressor and had limited success. But I found that the Ghost is a completely different weapon without the suppressor (and indeed, that applies to many other weapons). You will land shots that you never thought would be possible when you remove it.

Why? Most people only seem to mention the extra drop, as if that were the biggest factor. It isn't. The lower velocity is what makes you miss. Against stationary targets, it increases the chance that they'll move while the bullet is in flight. Against moving targets you have to lead (a lot) more, and since the bullet takes longer to reach them it gives them longer to change direction, making even a perfectly-lead shot miss.

Enjoy the SMG :)