Re: Planetside 2 Real Talk ► Why are we so disgruntled and burned out?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bortasz, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Kociboss

I don't care much about alerts and such but I find it REALLY difficult to find 12-24 battles lately.

The culprit is obviously the lattice system. I just don't enjoy these 96+ clusterf@wks in bases that weren't design to hold that many people.
    • Up x 2
  2. Cinnamon

If that happens the resources will probably be moved to other projects or leave SOE.
    • Up x 1
  3. RykerStruvian

Pretty much. PS2 is dependent on the success on the console as well considering thats where they shifted their resources. If the money isn't there, those resources will be sent somewhere else, and it probably won't be PS2. Maybe Everquest Next.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nailhimself

That´s the exact same thing I hear from everyone I play with. And especially from people who have already quit the game.
    I think the game is in a really bad state at the moment. Regardless of any bugs/lag/performance issues (which I rarely experience) people are just BORED.
    As you said: log-in, make kills, log-off.

The reason why I played this game so much is that it differs so much from those shooters where you just join a server and play a 5v5/10v10 and restart the round over and over again. I actually didn´t play games anymore for a few years because I got bored by that. When I heard from planetside I started again and there was never a game which I enjoyed that much. I put a lot of effort in this game (for me personally) and that´s the only reason I don´t quit immediately (ok, maybe because my expensive XP booster is still running).

In my opinion SOE should immediately put more priority to that. I have the feeling that more and more players leave.
    • Up x 2
  5. Bortasz

If you wish to read comments from reddit or join discusion there here is a link:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2lrzz9/re_planetside_2_real_talk_why_are_we_so/

Now responding to some of the comment:
    Find the outfit. You will be suprise how much more organize 12 people are capable. And start using vehicles. Repair/Ammo sundy.
    This are the best advise I can give.
    I agree that this game can use some extra mechanics to there weapons, and Factional threads could be more emphasized. Sadly they are not.

Goal / meaning. We can call it by many words. We want to fork to accomplish something. Without that... Well we can hope for Planetside 3.

I also hate big fights. Especial since they quickly change to 100 vs 100 high ping, people appearing from the air acid trips.
  6. KnightCole

IM burned out on:

Absolutely atroious hit detect, at it's absolute best, its a absolute and complete gamble on if it will function in my favor or the enemies favor....sometimes ill walk around a corner, meet a guy and pump 10 into his face, other times ill walk around a corner and put 40 in his face and die to him in what seems like instantly...Some guys take 10 rounds, some take 15, others take 20., some take 30.....its so all over the place its stupid and just really kills my enjoyment in a shooter game, where the idea is to shoot people before they shoot you.....I play a shooter to shoot Epeople......when the primary mechanic in the game is unreliable and broke, it just really destroys the game for me.

Ofc, this is just the final straw that broke the camel's back.

A year ago, I would wander the map just for the enjoyment of seeing the battlefield. TO explore and see whats the haps around Auraxis. I would freely meander from base to base on foot on a Flash, in a tank....it didnt matter.....but planes....everywhere. Bugs, glitches, just all sorts of random ******** deaths and planes......it really killed my interest in daring to even wander outside the spawn room, which there was a several week stint where I would redeploy from spawn to spawn looking for free kills, getting a few and logging off from boredom. It is practically suicide to even wander out of overhead cover. And certainly dont wander to far from a base, cuz a Plane will show up and blow you to bits....

Then, I like tanks, so I drove the Vanguard, got it tricked out with a few thousand certs, shields, weapons, upgrdes and the like....but the endless stream of nerfs to tanks+planes, had me to where I would pull a tank for no other reason then to shoot 1 or 2 tanks that were at the base I was at....and only if I could fire from cover....cuz planes...so that was out the window.

I used to attack bases, solo, or wiht a group....I used to play along side the NC, back when they were moderately competent and actually could play the game with some degree of skill. I used to also play along side bigger groups with the TR on Jaeger when I first started. But all that changed when anytime I got near or with a zerg it was TK...Tk..Tk..Tk...TK.....so its like well screw you to....plus, on the NC side of the house, its just utter incompetence....I hadnt been with a group of NC who could do anything for over a year.....

So at the end of the day, the game became, Tower Defense Side 2, farm a few kills in a tower and redeploy to some other tower. I would venture around and defend w/e tower I spawn in at and well, thats not skillfull, its not fun and really....the game just became boring....

So, TLDR: Atrocious Hit detect, planes, tanks nerfs, bad players and planes have turned this game very boring for me......and worst of all...hit detect and planes......making it almost pointless to even log in, that is unless I just like dying alot and seeing the respawn screen, which I do not....
    • Up x 2
  7. KnightCole

And then, beyond all that, we have a melding of faction traits, where instead of the NC, VS and TR, we are getting the NTS(New Terran Sovereignty).

Where instead of 3 very different, but balanced factions, each coming to the table with thier own set of toys and skills, SoE is intent on giving us NS everything, giving NC TR RoF, giving TR and VS NC Damage, hell, why doesnt some other faction have a VS Glowgun?

We have 50 weapons, of which maybe 6 models are used.....only changes on any of them is maybe a little bump here, a line there, but otherwise, we have no weapon uniqueness......

People are ******** over PS1, so we cant have Walkers or Robots of any kind, cuz...I mean, it cant possibly be implemented any differently in PS2......cuz PS1 did it badly, PS2 has to be bad to.....
    • Up x 5
  8. Pikachu

I never thought KnightCole was so angry. :eek:
  9. Pootisman

But the angry man is right. Most weapons in PS2 are just boring ... and SOE wants us to pay 10€ for them.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bortasz

Consider how many stuff is badly implemented in PS2, I do not trust SOE to correctly implement MECHS.
  11. KnightCole

So much to the point, I technically dont exist in PS2 anymore =D 67 BRs deleted lol =D just try to go look me up on the player page.....I could only handle dying to people I shot to **** so much longer.....

If and or when SoE ever returns hit detect to the way it was a year or so ago, I might consider trying to play this game again. For so long I did actually find it kinda fun, I liked the game's concept and massiveness....and as it stands, there is no other shooter I think is any better. There is no other one I play.....but One can only put up with BS for so long......just like the British hill Mission in Company of Heroes....im "Saving Sanity"....
  12. Xasapis

I don't have ht detection issues since the latest update. Notice also how all the threads that were related to hit detection issues disappeared. You might want to check the game sooner than you think.
  13. Stormsinger

Wall of text time.

Reasons for burnout:

Hit detection is miserable - the entire concept behind clientside hit detection is flawed. (There is simply not enough bandwidth to make serverside track EVERYthing, which is why we have clientside - the current implementation is just not good enough, however)

Constant nerfing - Things that are so obviously overpowered are released into the game to build contention, then nerfed beyond the point of usability later, causing yet more strife. What did they think would happen with the AV turret...? It did nearly decimator-grade damage with perfect accuracy at render range.
    The PPA? I'm not sure why it lasted as long as it did in 70-shot form, but the new design is unsuited to the platform - the entire reason why MBTs in general have difficulty getting / keeping gunners is that they cannot engage at the same range as the primary cannon (that, and with all but one class being able to OHK with C4, the ideal engagement range is nearly at infantry render.)

Voicechat - constant bugs with this make for a very annoying gameplay experience. At best, it's semi acceptable for casual play, assuming you reset it every 10 minutes.

Constant hitching / bugs / breaking of game elements - I'm a software developer. I get that bugs happen, I chase them down all the time. You need to TEST these things before you deploy them. If you cannot test in your current environment due to not enough players, then the test environment needs to be reworked so that you can, or you need to allow players to easily access it, and make it easier to do so. (Redownloading the entire test client every time is not a viable player-testing solution. ) ... if you are still having any issues, be paranoid - delay the patch a week, and do a few more tests.
    Release a few toys, or grant a free hat to those that log in during the period you would have released. Heck, a double XP day for every week delayed would be ok - as a whole, players are surprisingly patient. Throw a cookie, and most will wait months without too much complaint. Release patches that don't break the universe, and people notice.

Lack of communication. Seriously, why is SOE neglecting their primary forum to the point they are? I get that twitter, reddit, social media, etc sites exist - if you post there, require that the same post be mirrored here. Post a link to the third party site where the discussion is taking place. If people want to join the discussion there, they can. As it stands, it's obnoxious as heck to try to find anything.

(Here's a visual portrayal, mostly to break up the wall.)
    [IMG]

Differences in render range, OHK, vehicles and infantry. Being nuked from nowhere sucks. Having no way to defend against it sucks. It WILL happen occasionally, many players un derstand this, and accept it as a necessary game mechanic. The issue is that it happens so frequently from invisible / uncounterable sources, that people get pissed off. Wear down a player's tolerance to such things with bugs / nonrendering poop, and they become justifiably angry even when they deserved to be blasted into paste.

Lack of customizability in controls - i'm looking at you, aircraft controls. Reverse maneuver, anyone? I'm not going to get into that balance nightmare now, but allowing such a mechanic to exist in an undocumented manner is terrible game design. When SOE allowed it to go from bug-to-be-fixed to 'skill-based-feature' ...balance needed to take it into account, and formal, sticked tutorials needed to be posted. SOE really missed an opportunity to get expert pilots involved. SC bonuses for player-made tutorials, special titles, etc, would have been awesome.

Overall, the game is awesome, and the devs have been making progress overall. There is, however, room for improvement... this is a game that requires a critical mass of players to remain interesting, or even playable. Simple things, such as server transfers, faction changes, tutorials, and a central repository of dev-posted info would go a long way in helping to retain players in general.
    (Well, faction swap wouldn't be simple... but a re-roll token that grants you all certs spent, and the same tier of ES gear you lost in the swap would be awesome. Track the purchase method for all SC-purchasable stuff that has a non-sale price above 300, it's a single boolean value for each item. If it takes up more then a few hundred MB game-wide, i would be surprised. )
    • Up x 1
  14. Pirbi

Burnouts drag down everyone. Due to work and vacation, I basically took a few weeks off and then came back re-energized. There are things that annoy me. Being knifed ten feet away. Instagibbed by weapons that shouldn't instagib. Hitching and joystick still not fully working. Poor support for open platoons (no ability to ban trolls easily, no ability to take control after a disconnect, and broken coms). But it's still overall fun.
  15. Canaris

no that would be the forums failing to work correctly with certain browsers, just right click on the reply button and open it in a new window to make it work right.
  16. RykerStruvian

Thanks, but are you able to edit your posts? I tried editing my post in this thread in both chrome and IE, it wasn't working for someone else as well.

It works, nevermind. Thank you. I tried in IE/Chrome and someone else tried Firefox and it wasn't working for them. This was in a different thread.
  17. Hosp

My views of the Burnout:

- Our outfit's average age is a little older. Unforseen RL issues aside, we have to constantly decide if it's worth logging on for a few hours or doing something else, be it another game/form of media or just getting out(which becomes increasingly tempting as you age). Bugs/performance, poor cross aspect balance, incomplete lattice & resource mechanics makes things repetitive.

- Game entry level...very high in all aspects. The easiest thing for most new blood to do would be to tank and that leads to much of the tank zergs we all see. Lack of customizable controls makes the air game very poor, blocking veteran and new players alike from entering that aspect of the game. Infantry gameplay is more difficult than ground vehicle gameplay. I'm ok with that but when much of hte game is infantry focused w/o a proper flow of battle due to redeployside, it limits vehicles (which is ok) but turns off drivers from getting out of their vehicles.

Proper combat flow would be as PS1: Pushing from Base A > B Offense must first push through any resistance in the field. Battle lines were long and flaking had a greater impact and was also easier to do w/o having to traverse cliffs or mountains everywhere. Field battles were primarily vehicle focused with infantry for support. This moved to Siege battle to take the walls and courtyard of a base. Here infantry was the focus but vehicles still provided support. Sieges don't have to last as long as they did in PS1 (which could last days), but they should be longer as a slightly numerically inferior force should have the capability to stop a larger one.
    From there it moves into the base which was mostly a grindfest pushing to a couple objectives. This is where open bases help things and one of the few things PS2 has done right.

- Base Design/Map design. To much focus on offense. To little incentive to defend bases which are zerged. Why should 2 zergs meet? they'll just take opposite lightly defended lattices and maybe meet once in a while. Again, bases aren't worth defending. Maps (outside of esamir) have far to many terrain objects blocking movement. And redeploy side limits the amount of smaller battles that could be taking place as well as limits the necessity for proper logistics. Our base getting taken there? Redeploy! Next one? Redeploy! Back to the first? Redeploy! Out of bases to defend? Looks there's and AMS on the map. Redeploy! Also, to many worthless bases.

- Spawn Rooms Warriors should be banned. https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618041397457/killboard and spawn rooms need be overhauled.

- Part of the above. Remove the ability to view stats from in-game. To many people playing to pad stats, not enough people playing to take/defend objectives. Again, part of the reason for this is that those objectives aren't worth fighting for. But part of it is the lack of those worthwhile objectives leads to players working toward their own objectives...stats. We shouldn't be telling each other how to play, but we all share the same sandbox. And it becomes frustrating when, as an objective based outfit, we see handfuls of people at each base defense fighting from the spawn room. Leads to an empire that isn't unified. And this affects all empires on all servers to some extent.

- Friendly fire allowed practice area on live server. Many people don't have the capability to use PTS and current anti-stat-padding mechanics prevent people from swapping empires for training sessions. This would help toward retaining new players (in outfits particularly) as it would be easier to practice.

I'm just ranting now...TLDR: To much focus on a giant TDM and not enough focus on tactical/strategic gameplay combined with spotty performance and poor/incomplete mechanics are leading to repetition and burnout.
    • Up x 1
  18. Leftconsin

With the amount of training and practice I do combined with the effort I put into getting better I'm telling you, I'm underachieving by a considerable margin.
  19. Weterman

That sucks. I find I can play this game and still do good with high ping, while with other games more than 120 ping and it's unplayable.
  20. KnightCole

Hmm, opening moment as I tried to reenter Auraxis......met this TR HA and put like 10 into him, this without his shield on, he just walks away.......he comes back a bit later and drops me, I hit his head with a few rounds, the death screen shows I did 0dmg to him.

Hit detect seems to work on me ok, 4 rounds and out goes my shield lol.....just a few out the bas and I was at like less then a quarter of health.....