Please throttle back the Adaptive rendering, It has gone too far.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cest7, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Cest7

Last Higby plz, higby stated they were tweaking rending/hit detection. It has gone too far, last night during a 96+vs96+ fight at West Highlands Checkpoint your game pretty much crapped the bed. Infantry were not rending <300m which led to both sides spamming Ravens and Lancers. The fight was so lame I went to a different continent.

Platoon lead was ordering snipers to take the maxes out on the hill. I uh... tried. You can see the Bravo Squad WP @ 278m directly on top of the origination of the raven missiles, yet no max suits are rendering.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

This makes engagements pretty much a crapshoot as there is no rhyme or reason to engagement ranges.
    • Up x 16
  2. Frostiken

This **** is why I laugh when people talk about how 'huge battles are what makes PS2'. The game only renders a tiny handful of players so every 'big fight' is effectively just, like, 48 player team deathmatch as far as a single player is concerned.
    • Up x 6
  3. Joexer

Hey... That doesnt mean that you can't be KILLED by a massive numbers of players.

(Queue the Ravens, Lashers, and Grenade spam)
    • Up x 3
  4. Cest7

Heh... yeah. When I can't see infantry that are 1/2 way to the next base its pretty stupid.

I can see why this was done, to curb the FPS drops in large zones but... at what cost? The playability of the game in large battles...?
  5. Sebastien

Did you try moving closer?
  6. Simferion

There are no large battles, just large meatgrinders.
    Last time I took part to a 96+vs96+ I was being sniped by 100m away and people just few meters away from me rendered randomly:
    I killed an enemy and another one who was nearer , rendered suddenly in front of me, killing me.
    • Up x 2
  7. Cest7

Yes. Stuff was poppin in all over the place. I even tried to switch to lasher but it didn't do much.
  8. Leeloo

I could not see enemies/friendlies in the next building... I had to walk over there for them to start appearing on the map and in the flesh.
  9. Hermit92

Wait was this on Connery? If so I was there at West Highland Checkpoint with a platoon and man that was insane. 96+ vs 96+ fighting over a territory of about the size of 2 basketball courts. It was pretty much grenade spam -> rush bodies on point. I left around the time NC started to push for Indar Comm but I can kind of imagine how bad the rendering would be.
    • Up x 1
  10. Drasilov

Game is in a pretty horrendous state at the moment.
    • Up x 3
  11. iller

This goes back to something I've been saying for a while.... which is that 10x & 12x scopes should automatically gain bonus Server-Privs to render infantry beyond the 300m draw. Higby himself said they wanted to allow this at some point but they never got around to it. And before anyone screams bloodyhell about it: relax, Snipers also have damage drop-off and at extreme ranges many of them cease to be OHK's. As an additional downside though, the targets couldn't be spotted beyond 300m either.
    • Up x 1
  12. Cest7

Yes Connery West Highland/Indar comm last night. Took the screenshots but didn't get around to posting them. I probably left at the same time you did, we were defending indar comm against invisible foes.
  13. Drasilov

Its MAX units that abuse this - infantry dont seem to have anything that can hit you out of render range. I get spammed constanly by those stupid screee screee screee NC max rockets from on high and they cannot be countered because the Max doesnt render.

Been this way since it seems like forever.
  14. pnkdth

It would be nice to be able to be able to set priority for rendering, both in the menu and cycle through in when playing. In menu you could set priority list and distance. In game you could assign X key to cycle through priority.

Then there are probably smarter ways of rendering stuff depending on class and scope/zoom, reducing any need for player interaction.

That said, throwing 96+ versus another 96+ isn't exactly smart or effective. Especially over open ground... But I guess that's beside the point.
  15. Rovertoo

So that's what was going on! I've got a bug where it'll happen randomly to people in CQC fights.
  16. Commander Beanbag

Love it when a grenade appears just in time for immediate death.
    • Up x 1
  17. Drasilov

I don't really know how the game can be even worse than it was at launch now that far fewer players are actually playing it. How can you make the netcode worse??
    • Up x 2
  18. DoomFruit

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is the lattice system. There's no choice in where to attack next. And so you get a massive zergfest of non-rendering enemies and broken hit detection. Get rid of the lattice. Let the fights spread out. Give us back our strategic freedom.

And then you can put off improving the netcode for a little while longer because we won't have these problems.
    • Up x 1
  19. Goretzu

The thing that gets me is when things render, I aim.... and take the shot just as they then decide to un-render.... then re-render just after my shot! o_O

Having said that I wouldn't mind if this was fixing hit registation, but last night I was "missing" all night dispite landing shots exactly where they should have been, it wasn't even in particularly big fights or at long range either.
  20. FieldMarshall

Was fighting at an amp station when this last happened to me.
    I was fighting at a chokepoint indoors, and everyone was seemingly clustered around this one area.
    Over half the base seemed empty until i moved closer. Turns out there was a whole new battle going on that i didnt know about because it wasent rendering. Not even on the minimap.
    • Up x 2