Believe i found the freeze cause

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by razor1360, Nov 5, 2014.

1. GAMMASTAR

Just played for 5h+ the first! in weeks! :D great play!
    All i done different was "disable speed step in bios"
    May help someone as it did me :)
  2. Pandora's Lunchbox

- I don't know what version of Windows you are referring to. Anything particularly major (concerning memory usage) has been addressed by Microsoft on Windows 7 and as such there are no memory leaks caused by Windows 7, at least for the function of gaming.

"Memory leaks are a class of bugs where the application fails to release memory when no longer needed. Over time, memory leaks affect the performance of both the particular application as well as the operating system. A large leak might result in unacceptable response times due to excessive paging. Eventually the application as well as other parts of the operating system will experience failures.
    Windows will free all memory allocated by the application on process termination, so short-running applications will not affect overall system performance significantly. However, leaks in long-running processes like services or even Explorer plug-ins can greatly impact system reliability and might force the user to reboot Windows in order to make the system usable again."
    ~
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd744766(v=vs.85).aspx

What you might be referring to is the way Windows handles its memory usage under certain conditions and when handling certain programs/processes - so let's please not sell this as something specific to Windows. Microsoft are basically saying, above, that there are many applications that aren't as easily handled - where memory usage is concerned - when said applications are large and intended to perform complex tasks.

Planetside 2 is the worst case of a memory leak that I have ever encountered; I don't know about you.

Not only have the community established that Planetside 2 has a major, largely 'unidentified' and unaddressed memory leak (and by 'community', I refer to others pointing this out before I), but the developers, SOE, have also confirmed the fact. Honestly. Look through their previous update notes in detail. The information is there, they've just made such a little issue of it - and look where that has got them.

- You're welcome, though this is information still available somewhere in the forums in more depth. I did begin posting an example - a screenshot showing the point my game had crashed (but remained open) alongside the Task Manager session that recorded the memory usage; however, the screenshot was apparently 'too big to process' so by this point I just gave up and went about playing something else. The behavior basically replicated what I described in my first post, here.

They will fix it, if they want their game to retain its place on SOE's list of active games. I can't imagine the 'top-dogs' admiring the game's major loss of profits across the past two years (which is undoubtedly the case).
  3. dfury73

For all the people who are CTDing and hitching and have windows 7 and an older amd cpu (Athlon X4 or older Phenoms)

Go here:

http://download.amd.com/techdownloads/DCO_1.1.4.zip

Download AMD Dual-Core Optimizer install and the hitching and freezing is gone.
    Might work with windows 8 but did not try that.
    Also fixed UTGOTY CTD on windows 7 for me.

NC Regards from Holland :D
  4. razor1360

i have two pc's both are running perfect now on the game . one was the firewall if you have a bunch of planetside2 's on the list you may have the same problem . i remove them all and got a new allow popup from the firewall by running the game . it will list it as planetside2 play client ---- the pc is running the game good now . the other pc was freezing very bad far more i updated the windows NET framework from microsoft the freeze is gone and now the game runs very well . i hope this can help others might have same problems .
  5. razor1360

wasn't on mine i had 5 planetside2 on the list once i corrected this game runs perfect . so i you don't have many planetside2 's on the firewall list then you can ignore this . but it could still be your Net framework needs to be upgraded from microsoft .
  6. razor1360

check your NET framework for updates on microsoft can cause freeze .
  7. Napsterbater

BTW do not use it if you are not running Windows XP, per AMD it is for Windows XP Only

8. razor1360

it was the firewall on this pc and net framework updates needed on the other pc . sorry sony this time it wasn't you .
  9. dfury73

nope driver works on windows 7 like a charm
  10. dfury73

0 crashes
  11. dfury73

found it for old amd jippiee :)
  12. Napsterbater

Do you even know what it does?

Everything that the Dual-Core Optimizer fixes was fixed 100% in Vista SP2 by Microsoft, It does have very few benefits in Vista with and without SP1.

Also the issues it fixed only affected older games, and by older I mean older before vista.
  13. MajiinBuu

There is nothing wrong on my end.