Cosmetics for cert players??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CARunner, Nov 8, 2014.

1. CARunner

As you already know cosmetics are being sold throughout the game.
    SC ( Station Cash ) is the only known currency among cosmetics. Why not give Cert players
    a chance to gear up and create a decent character to play as?

Planetside 2 is a large and great game that has so many ways to play and enjoy the game ,
    but, one thing PS2 is missing is ''Character Customization''.

PS2 has only SC character customization for the players who have access to SC game cards
    or online currency.
    But Cert players are left out to look exactly the same as most players
    without SC do , plain , boring , ewwww.

Give Cert players a chance to buy cosmetics for Certs , maybe they wont be as good
    as the SC costing cosmetics , but still it would create a variety of looks to the battlefield , each player
    customized in a different way.

This concerns Camo options too.

Here is what i have in mind :

Face Bandana 250 Certification Points.
    Boonie Hat or Military Sniper Hat 250 certs , adds a bit more camouflage.
    Some Metallic Ps2 mask ( does not matter , could vary in styles ) 250 certs
    Hi-Tech Goggles ( with mic hanging out on the side ) 250 certs , reduces effect from Flash grenades.
    Gas mask or respirator ( styles vary ) 250 certs

Maybe some cool looking vest or chest plate that changes the Characters body form a bit. 250 certs
    or more depending on what it does.

Camo : just the basic camo at least.

Military Style : 100 certs
    Arctic Camo : 100 certs
    Desert camo : 100 certs
    • Up x 1
  2. Degenatron

Cosmetics are how SOE makes money off this game. You want them to cut off the only real revenue stream they have?

Look buddy, if you want to play for free, that's fine, but don't expect to get all of the stuff that paying players get.

If you don't want to look like an average soldier, then PAY MONEY.
    • Up x 32
  3. Jac70

Well you do get a free camo with the start bundle. Plus you can get Auraxium plating and weapons through the directives system. You can get the white camo for the objectives tree and the black for the exceptional tree (although that is gonna take forever) Cosmetics are one of the basic bread and butter aspects of the business model so I doubt they would consider giving them away for nothing.
  4. BengalTiger

It's possible to unlock the outfit decal for armor and vehicles for 250 certs each.

As mentioned before, Cells camo is available for free, Auraxium lumifibers for vehicles can only be unlocked through gameplay (rewards for directives), same with specials for weapons and even squad leaders.

There are also seasonal cosmetics such as the current Halloween ones which are unlocked for pumpkin seeds, also available for playing the game and doing specific directives.

P.S. Cosmetics are cosmetic only. You could have composite armor and some tough looking helmet but it'll give just as much protection as having a bandana.
    • Up x 2
  5. Predator01cz

cosmetics and memberships are SOEs main income from PS2, so I don't think you'll see any exceptions on that

Besides:
    Nowadays you get a free camo and a shotgun when starting the game
    You can actually get cosmetics without paying money (directives rewards)
    Halloween masks for pumpkin seeds
    outfit decal for certs

Also there was a way to get 500SC through some FB/twitter liking and completing some mobile app quest
  6. ajma

Definitely not. That would kill PS2.
    • Up x 1
  7. CNR4806

Cosmetics is one of the major sources of income for this game, and trust me, you DON'T want SOE to make things like weapons to be a major income source.

Besides, it's already much better than what it was for free players. We now have Cells camo for free, it may not be the most unique thing out there but it's good-looking enough compared with the increasingly ridiculous default colours. They also give out free decals, we had some for the 1st anniversary, and there are codes floating out there for MLG, EQNext and PSU decals that should still work. Last but not least, we now have directive lumifiber for those willing to work for it.
  8. Mitheledh

Of all the times people like to throw this type of thing around, this is one case where it might actually be true.
    • Up x 3
  9. Doc Jim

Cosmetics are largely what finances the game.
    You want free cosmetics? Do the directives.
    • Up x 1
  10. patrykK1028

I think there should be 2-3 camos able to buy with certs. Maybe 1 for each continent.
    And, we should be getting free camos on game anniversaries, Christmas etc.
    • Up x 2
  11. BlueSkies

Of all the stupid ideas I've seen on this forum...

:confused:
    • Up x 2
  12. Astriania

PS2 has a really nice monetisation model: anything that actually makes a difference in the game you can buy with certs, so free to play players aren't at a disadvantage, and SOE make their money off boosts (standard MMO practice, a money/time tradeoff) and cosmetics.

If they start giving away cosmetics then they'd have to add in P2W somewhere in the game where it actually makes a functional difference, and that would be much worse.
    • Up x 2
  13. Flamberge

I prefer looking like one of the run-of-the-mill, stereotypical, bland, boring NC engis.

Snipers always aim for the guy with the lumbifer and glowy helmet.
    • Up x 2
  14. TraatAdmiral

Not really. Doing that without paying would require Auraxiuming the Slasher, CandyCannon, NS-11P (That one's not too hard) and two of thre three Flare Guns--Deep Freeze, NS Patriot, and your faction specific one. According to DasAnfall, it looks like not one person has Auraxiumed the CandyCannon, but 4 people have the Slasher, lots of people the NS-11P, 3 people the NS Patriot, and 4 people their faction-specific Flare Gun. Exactly two people appear on 3 of those lists: An NC called Halmine and a TR called Ratszz, both BR100s on Miller. So while that is theoretically possible, in reality no-one in the entire game is more than 60% there, and if you weren't around to buy Flare Guns back in July 2013 you're out of luck, because you can't do it without at least one of those. It isn't possible for a character created today to get it for free.

Everybody remember that if you're feeling ironic you can get your MLG decal with the code mlgreport--that's old, but as far as I know it still works.
  15. BiggggBRIM

There's no reason to flame him. He put alot of thought and effort into his post, which I can't say the same for yours.

@OP : I like your idea, but I don't think it will happen because SOE will never turn down the opportunity to gouge their customers for cosmetics.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jac70

Point stands, it is theoretically possible to complete that tree without spending money. If you saved and bought the special weapons when available with certs it could be done. In fact, the black camo is probably the most sought after camo you can get so it's good that this isn't something you can just buy with money. Likely they have done this with the intention of enticing people into paying for the seasonal weapons but it is at least possible to do it without money.

That's one hell of a grind though :eek:
  17. Flamberge

Maybe, when if they go back in and add rewards to the different levels of directives, some could award solid color camos, or simple ones?
  18. TraatAdmiral

Again, it may be theoretically possible for someone who's been around that long, but not a single person has done it. :confused: Nobody's even gotten four out of five. It's like looking for rubies by trawling through raw sewage--yes, it's possible that there'll be some in there, but you're gonna have a really bad time and there are so many more efficient ways. :p An option that not one person has ever managed to take isn't a serious option.
  19. TraatAdmiral

This is probably what needs to happen. The original Roadmap thread said that rewards would include metallic camos and solid faction-color camos. All of that was a lie, but it's not too late for them to fix it.
  20. eldarfalcongravtank

i agree! we need more character customization, that is, custom armor sets, more face variants, hair, beards, shades, etc.

but i wholeheartedly disagree with allowing the purchase of cosmetics via certs. A BIG NO!