Vanu Scout Rifles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Kubin, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Kubin

A question to fellow Infiltrators of VS:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of following weapons?

- Phantom VA23 (I know it's technically a sniper rifle, not a scout one but it have the same feature* as other two).
    - Nyx VX31.
    - Artemis VX26.

*Said feature is, of course, no bullet-drop. I want it specifically for the suppressor use.

After some long range sniping and SMG runs I decided to try something new and pulled out a Ghost with 4x zoom and I totally love it but when I attached a suppressor it suddenly became much less likeable. Also it's not really "my weapon" in true CQC where missed headshot is a death sentence for me with BASR. I tried Phantom, Nyx and Artemis (all suppressed) in VR and they seem to be really powerful (or powerful enough at least).

The one I like most (after VR session) is Nyx (3.4x, suppressor, laser sight) as it's a middle ground in damage and RPM and lead in reload time and velocity. The one I like the least is Artemis but it's most likely due to the way I handle this weapon.

By making this thread I don't want you to prove nor argue about which weapon is the best as it's the matter of personal taste and playstyle but I'd like to hear opinions of people who are experienced with any (or all) of above weapons and to tell me in which situations you like it and in which you don't. I know what I would like to do and I'd like to choose a rifle for my playstyle based on your opinions.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SpruceMoose

going off of personal experience I like the Phantom the most, 3 body shot kills is nice
    Artemis usually runs out of ammo before the target is dead leaving me reloading while he laughs at me, gotta get them head shots
    never liked the Nyx because of the way it sounds (or doesn't) feels like I'm spitting at people or with a suppresser; not even shooting
  3. Plague Rat

Ask yourself the following.
    Do I want to shoot while moving?
    Am I going to be firing rapidly?

If the answer to either of these is yes, stick with the actual scout rifles.

The Phantom is a good weapon, the Impetus (NC equivalent) is one of my favorite weapons, but you have to understand the weapon's downsides and you might not necessary discover them in VR. The fact that it IS a sniper rifle more specialized for killing with as few as shots as possible from a mostly stationary position, and it's downsides are a bit punishing outside this style.

The accuracy loss comes in really strong, to the point that you're 4-5th rapid shots can completely miss a target from as little as 15m, AND have some of the worst movement penalties on your base CoF of any infantry weapon.

The Nyx on the other hand can fire several more rapid shots while retaining accuracy, and it's CoF remains relatively tight even while moving. Also the Nyx has a faster velocity so if you're planning to use a suppressor you'll want to retain as much of that as you can. The trade-off is of course stopping power, as you'll need another body-shot or two compared to the Phantom, but the faster RoF helps in that department, but when it comes to headshots a double tap has the same lethality on either weapon.

If anything I'd say do some weapon trials and try to get some play time with them in actual combat, as you're likely to get a better feel for them in actual combat that you ever will in VR.
    • Up x 2
  4. Rikkit

Oh and don't forget, the nyx is super silent, when you use a suppressor.
    There is only your tracer and your cloaking sound left, to give away your position. (The silenced nyx is as silent as the crossbow)
    The Nyx has enough dps, to dominate at point blank, and is still able to kill targets 70m away.
    (With a silencer on it moving targets are somewhat hard to hit, but you can learn to compensate for it.
    Don't tested the other weapons jet, but i'am also doing well with the stalker (compareable to the artemis)
  5. FireclawX

I have the Artemis and personally I love it... It's a fantastic weapon for medium range infiltrating... You just need good accuracy with it so you don't run out of ammo before you get a kill.
    Expect to reload after every kill however...
  6. _itg

Don't forget about the Vandal. It's a lot like the Nyx, but it's got the 0.75x ADS multiplier, which is a pretty big advantage.

I'd also suggest giving the NS7-PDW a try. It's sort of at the halfway point between SMG and full-auto scout rifle, pretty decent for mid-range flanking, but you're not totally screwed if you end up in CQC.
  7. Kubin

Hmm... How about its bullet drop? I believe that since it's a NS weapon it does have a bullet drop but I overheard (might be an urban legend, ofc) that NS weapon used by VS soldiers doesn't have a bullet drop (which sound ridiculous but it's better to know for sure). I'm mostly into VS scout rifles due to its lack of bullet drop even when suppressed so the keep pinpoint accuracy with swayless scopes.

EDIT: Stat-wise the Vandal does have better hip accuracy (and as you say - faster ADSing) and a liitle bit bigger ammo pool but a bit lesser velocity (a disadvantage when it comes to suppressor). What is weird to me it's that the Vandal while being a bit more CQC-oriented, has much longer reload time. Not much but could be dangerous.
  8. TraatAdmiral

The Vandal plays a lot like the CQC semi-auto snipers. Pros are bigger magazine size and better hip fire making it a bit more forgiving in CQC, cons are slightly worse accuracy (noticeable only at really long range; it's still a very accurate gun) and worse damage drop off, requiring four shots at minimum damage range instead of three. It's optimized for slightly closer engagements than the SA sniper, but I've found them to be similarly useful. I've never had an issue with the reload time, even in close quarters; 15 shots at 3 shots/kill is generally plenty, even if you're hipfiring it (not recommended, but it does do that *much* better than the sniper rifles do—it's at least viable). It does have bullet drop, but pretty high bullet velocity means that even with a suppressor I've never had any problems landing shots.
  9. Moody One

... you do realize the Vandal has the lowest velocity of any semi auto Scout right?

Even the Nyx with its Vanu velocity (No bullet drop means slower velocity) still has a 20 m/s advantage over a Vandal...

The Vandal is still awesome - unlike faction Scouts it has a pretty tight hip accuracy and with a laser sight is pretty good at short range hip fire - add the larger clip and .75 Hip movement and its a good allround weapon.

The Nyx however will be better with a silencer - I would however recommend NOT silencing them at all and instead using your cloak to hide your blip after firing a volley.
  10. Daithm

I just want the Revenant and I have to use the scout rifles. I maxed out the Eidolon and just started with the Artemis and it is okay. I always find myself shooting enemies only to have them turn around and gib me as im reloading. I wish I didn't have to use any of these rifles to get the Revenant.
  11. Booface

Phantom performs the best by a significant margin in situations where you can stay still and scope in. Nyx has less potential but you can use it on the run with a laser sight. Artemis takes it a step further and is the only one that can really hold its own at closer ranges (though you still want to prefer mid-range), but isn't going to be able to get killstreaks on a single magazine the way a Phantom can at 40-50m.

Assuming you have to pick only one:
    If you are good at controlling range and choosing engagements, I'd go with the Phantom. It's got the most potential that way. But if you find yourself in sticky situations more often, go with the Nyx. And if you find yourself in sticky situations a lot, go with the Artemis.
  12. TraatAdmiral

520 m/s is still quite fast, faster even than the Tier 1 BASRs. I think my point stands; it's high enough that landing shots at range isn't a problem.
  13. TraatAdmiral

Ak, it's too late to edit but I'm actually wrong. The Tier 1 BASRs have 550 m/s. The point stands anyway.
  14. Plague Rat

You have to step up your game a bit when you're using an auto-scout compared to other automatic weaponry, especially if you can't make a kill in a single magazine. It's an infiltrator specific weapon, so it's built with an expectation of accuracy on the part of the player. Try working your focus to prioritizing headshots and minimizing spray. Firing in bursts when the target is farther out helps. Ultimately when you get a grasp on the weapon's accuracy and using it to your advantage getting multiple kills from a mag is no big thing.

Though I'll admit it's a pain to alter your habits to be effective with a single weapon you don't want to use in the first place, getting good with this weapon will almost certainly have a positive effect when you go back to using more traditional automatics, a bit like physical training with weights on your legs so you're faster when they take them off.