Hitching/Freezing fixed without FPS drop

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by EricAurum, Oct 13, 2014.

1. EricAurum

First, all credit of this method goes to Acidule, as he was the first person I saw who posted this solution.

Original post: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ther-details-on-hitching.203983/#post-2967487

I'm just creating a new thread here in the technical support since I figured most people with hitching/freeze problems come here.

His workaround is basically to kill one of the PhysX threads inside the Planetside x64 process.

To do that, first we need Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Extract it somewhere, no need to install, just run directly from the procexp.exe and leave it running.

Now open Planetside 2 launcher, and click play.

Once in the character selection screen, alt+tab and check the Process Explorer. There should be a process there called PlanetSide2_x64.exe (not PlanetSide2.exe, you want the one below that, the one with the actual PS2 logo).

Right click that process, and select Properties...

Select the Threads tab located on the top of the new window that pops up.

There's a big list of threads, locate one called
    PhysX3Common_x64.dll!physx::Cm::profileEventId::pVD::GetupdateSleeping+0x5.

(there should be two of them, select just one)

Once you select one of the PhysX threads, select Kill on the bottom right side.

And that's it, the game should now run fine.

Unfortunately, you will need to do this every time you start the game.

Don't forget to report back if this worked (or not), so hopefully someone in SOE sees this and does something.
    • Up x 13
  2. KiraValtraut

/applaud

It still works flawlessly for me.
  3. AlltGarOFixa

Thanks Acidule! I had the hitching/freezing error since the Valkyrie-patch. The solution works 100% for me! :D
  4. garret0451

bravo, players fix bugs instead of useless soe keyboard monkeys,
    • Up x 4
  5. EricAurum

After playing with this workaround for a couple of hours I still noticed some freezes, but only about 2 per hour, and more on big fights.

Definitely not the ultimate solution, but we seem to be on the right track.
    • Up x 1
  6. Matti

This actually helped, thanks!
  7. Pardus

Yahoo! I can start playing Planetside 2 now!

May this be a lesson on triple checking your work and methodologies for the dev team!
  8. mikenzb

IT WORKS!!!
    Thanks for this.. I CAN FINALLY PLAY NOW!
  9. LordKrvolok

This is so awesome, thank you I was about to uninstall PS2 and be done with it, you posted this just in time for me to change my mind.

Thanks to the guy who came up with this! He should be awarded from SOE for fixing performance to us players who had issues
    I had brutal stuttering I couldn't fly, couldn't do jack ****.
  10. bulletcatcher

This really makes the game playable again! Thanks to Acidule!!
  11. destajador

12. CommanderA

I am running a 32bit system, so when I follow the instructions and look I find:

PhysX3Common_x86.dll!physx::Cm::profileEventId::Sim::GetprocessTriggers+0x5

Rather than the:

PhysX3Common_x64.dll!physx::Cm::profileEventId::pVD::GetupdateSleeping+0x5

Is it essentially the same thing? Just delete the duplicate one like normal?
    • Up x 2
  13. tigerchips

I'm just wondering if these old commands do anything...

[Rendering]
    GpuPhysics=0
    ForceGpuPhysics=0

Or have you tried them?
  14. Ransurian

There has to be a good reason for the existence of two PhysX processes. What detrimental effect does it have on the client that anyone has been able to ascertain? Does it make the game more unstable, or perhaps reduce the overall quality of some aspect of the game or another?
  15. LordKrvolok

Well overall particles sucks to be honest but I never needed them and you won't see for example those 2 beams making a vortex like shape in teleporters. That's all I saw. Only thing I care for is that it runs smooth I don't give a crap for few eye candy effects.
  16. Strikejk

FTFY

You can use the "code" option to prevent these smilies showing up. :)
    • Up x 1
  17. CommanderA

I am running a 32bit system, so when I follow the instructions and look I find:

Code:
    PhysX3Common_x86.dll!physx::Cm::profileEventId::Sim::GetprocessTriggers+0x5

Rather than the:

Code:
    PhysX3Common_x64.dll!physx::Cm::profileEventId::pVD::GetupdateSleeping+0x5

Is it essentially the same thing? Just delete the duplicate one like normal?
    • Up x 1
  18. SP3CTREnyc

Running 64 bit windows. This workaround had no effect. I tried both the highest and lowest numbered thread IDs.

Win 7 64bit
    i7 - 3770k
    AMD HD7870 2gb
    16gb RAM
  19. EricAurum

It should be, just try it. When you quit the game and restart it all resets anyway, so there's no harm in trying.
  20. Acidule

Glad to see this is working for most of you.

CommanderA> Well i suppose so, but when I tested playing in x86 mode, I had no hitches at all but crashes would always follow within the first 10 minutes of gameplay even at lowest textures, so I gave up on that.

SP3CTREnyc> Sorry man :( I may suggest you try ordering the thread window by CPU and see what threads are hogging up the game during a freeze. Also, check if the planetside2_x64.exe process does use an excess amount of kernel-mode cpu in the "Performance Graph" tab (it would show a lot of red)