Is NC the best faction for carbines?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shroomwarden, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shroomwarden

Mostly playing this game for infantry combat I will be. I like Light Assault since it's fairly different/fun from a standard infantry class 'cause you know...you get to fly. I will also probably play some engineer for the XP gains from ammo packs and MAX repairs.

I like finding nice flanking spots to shoot down at people from a distance. I tried the Mercenary, Razor, TRAC-5, T5 AMC, Solstice and Pulsar C since they are all free choices, but I'm not sure about some of the other options or how the weapons are like with attachments.

So for the Mercenary seems like the best since it's accurate and kills pretty fast at the same time. It reminded me a bit of the AK5C in BF4 which I liked. It works out to decent range without being hopeless up close and it's easy to handle.

But maybe if I improve my handling of other guns they might have something more to offer? The damage output of most of the other ones seemed to be lacking, while the ones with angled recoil, like TRAC-5 especially, were a nightmare for me - but of course maybe they're good when you get used to it.

And it also seems like with how slow I get certs I probably want to stick with one faction at least for awhile.
  2. EnforcerOfPeace

You can try out all the weapons and attachments for free in the VR training. Warp there the same way you switch continents.
    • Up x 1
  3. Paragon Exile

The NC have the best overall carbine selection in my opinion; GD-7F, Bandit, Razor, ACX-11 etc are all really great at their intended roles, whereas the TR and VS have multiple duds and/or their selection is inferior in some way. TR has the Jaguar and Lynx for good carbines, while the Vanu have the VX-whatever, Pulsar C and Solstice.

But really, don't fret too much about it, the factions are close enough in performance where weapon differences matter less than how you use them, and most certainly have a learning curve and cert intro fee. You can use a Cougar or Razor just as well as the Pulsar C for example.

I didn't answer your query did I?
    • Up x 2
  4. Iridar51

Mercenary fires 167 damage bullets at 600 rate of fire, this is the best rounded type of damage. Bullets still do respectable damage at distance, very little horizontal recoil, overall the gun is versatile and controllable.

Bullet damage is more important in ranged fighting than rate of fire, and NC certainly has bullet damage.

However, if you're looking for purely ranged setup, the Pulsar C is the best carbine for the job due to best in class recoil pattern.

In close quarters, rate of fire and DPS mean more, so TR are better for that, but NC have the GD-7F, which does that job better than any TR carbine.

So yes, I would consider NC the faction with best carbines, and they have the most variety as well.
    That said, Pulsar C is the only VS carbine worth its salt, and I consider it best for ranged work. So if that's the only type of gameplay you want and you're fine with using the one same gun for tenths of thousands of kills, you can play VS with Pulsar C.

But you won't be giving up that much if you choose NC.

TR carbine selection is underwhelming. Like VS, it has only one carbine worth mentioning: the Jaguar, it's a great CQC-oriented all-rounder.
    • Up x 4
  5. Goretzu

Statistically TR still is best over all, but basically all three factions have decent Carbines now.

Whether you'll like using all factions Carbines is another issue, to be honest it sounds like you may like several of the VS Carbines.
  6. Goretzu

What TR Carbine is a "dud" or "inferior in some way"? :confused:

By "most" do you mean "exactly the same as the NC"?

Carbine RoF

LOW - 500 550-550 577-577 600-600-600 632 652-652 653 698-698-698-698 723 750-750-750-750 800845-845 909- HIGH

NC VS TR NS

NC have low RoF and TR have high RoF Carbines certainly, but their "variety" is almost perfectly matched. :confused:
  7. Fellgnome

RoF isn't the only thing that determines diversity.
  8. Paragon Exile

The Cougar, Lynx and T5 AMC are inferior at their intended range to another faction's alternative (slightly.

Cougar/T5 is worse than the Pulsar C (T5 has better velocity however) and the Lynx lost much of its old lustre in its revamp, and now is no better than the GD-7F and VX-whatever.
  9. sindz

Want the most choices? Go NC.

Fastest ROF for 167 dmg weapons and equally high ROF at 143dmg. All this while still having access to 200dmg model weapons.
    • Up x 1
  10. Shroomwarden

Alright so it sounds like NC has the best guns for me, but what about other stuff?

I know TR has a special mine for their infiltrator and heavies have some special heavy-only rocket launcher, are there any unique advantages for light assault for the different factions other than guns?
  11. Iridar51

You're in my ignore list, so don't bother talking to me.
    • Up x 1
  12. Iridar51

No, other than guns LA of all factions are the same. I suggest you check out my Light Assault Guide to preemptively answer some of other questions you might have.
    • Up x 1
  13. Paragon Exile

^Seconded.

Iridar is one of the few non-terrible LA's that actually help and his advice is good.
  14. foesjoe

Is NC the best faction for carbines?
    Yes. They have access to every damage and rof tier, and their weapons are the most controllable overall, in my opinion. Their starter carbine is my favourite carbine in the whole game, after SOE turned the Lynx into a ****** SMG without .75 ads movement mulitplier.
    I haven't played VS in forever, but I liked the Pulsar C. It's basically a Mercenary with a slightly lower ROF but it gets an advanced forward grip in exchange.
    Both VS and NC get access to carbines with 800 / 845 rof and 143 damage per shot too, which are the CQC kings.
    If you want to main LA, you should roll either VS or NC, their weapons are superior to TR weapons for every purpose, be it medium range plinking or close up fights. With TR you're pretty much forced to always get very close to your targets.
    • Up x 1
  15. TriumphantJelly

If you want the ES Rocket Launches for HA, for range go Vanu, for short ranged, "unavoidable" damage (The Pheonix is Camera-guided) go NC, and go TR if you want... AA? No, possible buffs.
  16. phreec

I'd say yes. We have both variety and efficiency in our arsenal.

Only tier I find missing in our carbine (and LMG) department is the 750/143 tier hipfire friendly weapons. The Jaguar and MSW-R are pretty much the only reasons I have a TR alt.

The closest we can get is the GD-7F but it's such a ridiculous sprayhose. Its RoF is great for 1v1 spraydowns at the cost of versatility and sustainability of the Jaguar.
    • Up x 1
  17. LibertyRevolution

NC gets best carbine.
    TR gets best AR.
    VS gets best LMG.

That is how I see it anyways.
    (Oh, and NC cyclone SMG is OP as I can have a positive K/D with it.)
  18. Plorf

NC has the best selection of weapons in any faction except maybe LMGs (not that they're bad, but they have no Orion/CARV type weapon.) Oh, and their MAXes, while I would say are generally the most effective, are limited.
  19. RachelGomez

Pfft. NC is just the best faction period. Most armor and hardest hitting. Balance!
    • Up x 1
  20. Devrailis

You said it before I did!

Best gunz, best tanks, best girls.

NC Master Race.