[Suggestion] New Carbine Attachment to develop it to an "Assault Carbine"

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Pfundi, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Pfundi

Well, everybody is complaining, that the support class gets better assault weapons than the assault classes etc etc.
    While reading this threads I just had this idea.
    (My main Char is NC so forgive me TR and VS)
    The thing is: The ONLY difference between the Merc and the Gauss Rifle of the medic is this little shoulder support thing (dont know the military name)
    This and some muzzle velocity. Thats generally the case with all AR vs Carbine pairs.
    Now we take an long range carbine (ACX11 in my situation). One of the weapons that would benefit most from being an AR.
    Now say you equip HVA. Than there is only one difference left.
    Now lets create a new weapon attachment slot and call it "putinsuitingnamehere"
    In this slot you can buy an attachment called "shoulder Support"
    This longers the time to equip and makes the hipfire bit worse (with the ACX11 I dont care anyway).
    But give the weapon "all" the benefits from this. Better fully automatic fire, better accuracy, etc etc.
    Some weapons couldnt acces this attachment. The AF-A4 Bandit for example already got a shoulder support thing. LMGs do too.
    What do you think about this?
  2. Iridar51

It's called "stock", and it's not the only difference. ARs also have higher minimum damage and lower recoil. Because of it ARs are much better in ranged combat.
    HVA buffs AC-X11's velocity to 550 m/s. In the meantime, Reaper DMR, AC-X11's AR counterpart has 555 m/s by default and 650 with HVA. Also, these are weapons-exceptions, who get a lot of projectile speed from HVA. Most other weapons get only 5%.

A stock can affect recoil and maybe hip fire accuracy, but not bullet velocity and bullet damage, that wouldn't make any sense.
    A barrel extender is required.
    Thing is - carbine with extended barrel IS an Assault Rifle, so it all seems like a lot of motion and all for nothing. Why bother with carbine with AR conversion kit, when you can just use an AR?

Making ARs available to LA should barely require any work from the devs, while creating a whole new attachment that would change the looks and stats of existing guns is a lot of work. Makes no sense.
  3. Fellgnome

ARs do not have lower recoil. They usually have a bit worse. You're just used to TR which is the faction that has more accurate and just all around better ARs than Carbines. Both the Pulsar VS1 and the Gauss Rifle are less accurate than the Solstice/Merc, but the T1 Cycler is more accurate than the TRAC-5 for some reason. And of course SABR >>> Cougar/ T5 AMC by a landslide. If they allowed LA to use ARs I would never use a TR Carbine on LA again.

You can compare many other similar AR / Carbine duos on VS and NC to see that typically ARs have more angle to the recoil and/or more overall horizontal recoil. Another example is the AC-X11 and Reaper - Reaper has higher horizontal recoil, slightly.

They do still perform better at range due to better minimum damage and higher velocity, though, in pretty much all cases.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sabot

You wouldn't need a new attachment slot, just add a "folding stock" attachment to the same category as laser sight, dark light etc. which you can turn on/off for certain carbines - making the carbine somewhat better in long range engagements when turned on, and better in CQB when turned off. Better aimed accuracy if on, better hip fire when turned off (which would mean some carbines would have to have a somewhat better native hip fire accuracy).

Personally I don't see this as a huge problem... or even a small problem. But if it enhances balance and gives us more choices - bring it on...
  5. Iridar51

Good point, but not exactly what I meant. I was talking about pure vertical recoil. Gauss Rifle has 0.3, Merc has 0.4.
    Pulsar VS1 has 0.22, Solstice 0.25. Cycler 0.27, TRAC 5 - 0.3. It's ~10% difference.
    But yeah, that recoil angle stuff is weird and inconsistent.
  6. Movoza

This would fall way out of the LA's scope. They are short to medium ranged combat, with emphasis on short. The AC-X11 is the medium to long ranged weapon on NC and should not get a counterpart. The whole reason for classes is to give you choices for weapons and function. The AR was given to the medic long ago to make him more competitive and get more people to take medics. Although the AR doesn't need to lure people to medic anymore, I think it is a good class seperator. If you start giving LA an AR, where does it stop? RL? LMG?
  7. Jogido

I think LA weapons are just fine. LA uses mobility and it's the main reason they don't get BR and AR weapons.

Less important, but just wanted to point it out...when you speak of the stock, it's really just a graphical thing. In real life a carbine is defined as a long arm with a "shorter" barrel then a rifle (the shortness of the barrel tends to be relative). I think the PS2 devs just felt removing the stock was a much easier way to convey the compactness of a Carbine visually even tho it has no barring on what makes a carbine a carbine.
  8. reydelchicken

I would like this to exist, even if it did nothing and was purely cosmetic.

Simply because I don't like how ugly carbines look without the stock, especially the NS-11C with the folded stock.

Even if the devs just changed the carbine forward grip model to include a weapon stock, it would be more than enough <3