[Suggestion] [Landscapes] Reachable areas

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wizlawz, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Wizlawz

in Heroes & Generals you can "climb" any mountain on the battlefield including vehicles {ye tanks included}
    same with BFBC2,BF3,BF4, and many other games.

in Entropia Universe you can not, in Planet Side 2 you can not. {and a few other games}

why not make PS2 landscapes more easily "climbable" for infantry and vehicles.

in the games where you can "climb" the landscape it doesn't seem to be an issue; so why is it an issue in PS2?

given the free roam open map(s) i would have thought there would be alot more freedom in this "area" of gameplay.

it just seems to me that even though this game upon the map(s) indeed has alot of freedom why were the landscapes "neglected" in this way.

it is not a linear game {am i using that word correctly?} but at times it sure seems like it is.

now im am not speaking of: get a LA jumper , get an LA drifter {they are the only 2 that can "climb" with ease.

now i took what i learned in entropia about climbing mountains and incorporated here in PS2 because in both games it is exactly the same in order to do so. {i think there may be some proprietary issues here,...j/k j/k....jest being a smartaleck}

so instead of an infil with jump jets or MAX with jump jets and etc,...why not just make the landscape a bit more "climbing friendly" ?

you could put in those "elevators" {?...not exactly sure if that is what those are called} around the base of mountains and even in a series like steps....but that wouldn't be fair to ground vehicles.....unless those particular "elevators" could indeed lift vehicles....but that is a bit far fetched i think.

what about those "jump platforms"? you could have those up on the mountains...a one way ride "up" to them....getting down...yer on yer own.

sure there are roads and paths, but i guess what i am saying / asking is making the landscape a bit more "user" friendly for the sake of tactics, strategies, flanking, etc and so on.

not that those things can not be done now....but just more freedom with the environment for ground troops.

TL;DR? then this was not for you
  2. Drasilov

I agree - some of the inclines an infantry cannot get up are laughable. I could walk up them myself and I'm an unfit middle aged geek.

Its funny that the flash cannot handle even a medium slope without sliding sideways and falling back down. Today while pumpkin hunting I got stuck in a ditch about 10ft deep and my flash was unable to climb the incline to get out of it - had to redeploy.
  3. Ripshaft

The ability to climb on top of justabout anything with any vehicle is already there, just the skill required to do so is well outside the realm of the regular player. As soon as it's so dumbed down that any idiot can do it, every idiot will do it, and that results in the hills being alive with tanks, causing serious gameflow issues. This has been a very serious problem throughout PS2's development, and they ran many waves of nerfs to ensure that the average idiot could not do this. It's in a pretty good spot now.
  4. Wizlawz

well it is not like every idiot cant do it already with jumpjets.
    or aerials.

and with the draw distance of not being able to see infantry passed 300m i wouldn't think it would be a big issue.

but i see what you are saying.

and oh wow soo SOE nerfed it that way on purpose? what a shame and a waste of the big open world environment.
  5. DFDelta

This actually.
    I've seen people who climbed absolutely ridiculous mountains with vanguards and sunderers. For prowlers it seems even easier (or at least more people bother with learning it), and for anybody with a magrider or harasser and a certed turbo mountains are pretty easiely climbable anyways.

The only ground vehicles that have problems getting up even the shallowest hill are (oh sweet irony) the Flash, our all terrain vehicle, and lightnings that like to get stuck in stuff.

For infantry, I know somebody who can get his engie to any place I formerly believed to be LA only.
    The only places he cxan't get to are those that are blatantly impossible, like the small donut above the Biolab SCU, or the top of a tower.
    But a mountain with 80° slopes? Not a problem, just give him 5 minutes. (I've tried following him, I can't do it)
  6. Wizlawz

hmmm...did not know that...i definitely must be doing something wrong
  7. DFDelta

Think it is tied to fps, or at least I've heard somebody say that.
    I've gunned for people who got their tank up to places I believed unclimable for anything but LA, and I've watched some people wriggle their tanks up some silly slopes.

Except for a toon that certs heaviely into the vanguard I hardly ever bother with vehicles so I never experimented with that too much (also due to fraps my fps are always locked to 50 anyways).
  8. Wizlawz

ye i heard something about fps as well...someone said get 5fps and you can climb anything