Hitching: I'm at the end of my rope...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Jygal, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Jygal

Prior to the 10/2 game update, my game always worked okay. Not great, not optimized, but OK. After O:MFG I was getting a consistent 20-30 FPS, even in larger fights, even with my toaster of a computer. All that is gone now.

Current state of affairs since the 10/8 hotfix:

I log in, and things hitch a bit over the first 30 seconds as the game loads. This is normal and has always happened to me.

After the initial hitching stops and I deploy to an area, things are normal for a short period of time. I can play the game as normal for around one minute to thirty seconds.

After this, 4-5 second hitches begin. Let me emphasize these are NOT random, they are triggered by specific events, such as:
    • Holding Breath
    • Aiming Down Sights
    • Accessing a Terminal
    • Moving while also trying to fire
    After one to two minutes of these context sensitive hitches, my game breaks down completely and the four to five second hitches become normal even when standing still. The game is, at this point, completely unplayable and so I log off.

Notes: While hitching is occuring, game sounds and the screen freeze, but squad and platoon voice chat is still clear and unbroken...All my settings are on very low or off...This occurs wherever I go, be it a fight, the warpgate, or even VR training.

I really enjoy this game, but I'm at my wits end as to how to continue.
    • Up x 2
  2. user101

Do you use an AMD HD video card...?
  3. Ransurian

Same here, although that'd go without saying at this point if you've been on the forums much over the past week. Honestly, our only real option is to keep the issue near the forefront of SOE's attention until it's addressed. Post a video documenting your experience, keep posting periodic threads on the issue, upvote and support threads that document similar problems, and hope for the best.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ransurian

I do, although I think I've seen numerous people experiencing the issue with NVIDIA cards.
  5. VonStalin

try setting high priority in task manager. And don't forget to play in fullscreen mode.
  6. Ransurian

That isn't going to do anything. And the majority of us already play in fullscreen.
  7. B4dLuCk

/signed

I still got the hitches and it is still unplayable for me.... 32bit client works nice but crashes after some time (from 10 or XX minutes).
    I'm using a nvidia card.

Never got problems until the Valkyrie Patch. Things got worse (to the point right now - unplayable) with the pumpkin patch.
  8. user101

This is interesting - the vast majority of people that have AMD cards have hitching & memory leak & crashing... Not that Nvidia people don't have hitching but that is due to mainly to shader cache and nvidia knows about it as a problem.
  9. Jygal

Nope, Nvidia. Task manager high priority doesn't do anything, I already play in fullscreen. I've tried all the easy fixes already.
  10. William Petersen

I use an ATI Radeon HD 4800 series video card, but watching my resource manager while I played in Windowed mode seemed to suggest that the hang-up was CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E8500) based (though to be fair, the resource manager doesn't seem to have a place to observe GPU usage).

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to hardware issues. All I know is, much like the OP, my game used to work - not super well, but it was playable. And now it doesn't/isn't.
  11. LineTrap

Had the same issue of massive hitching/video lag after an hour or so and getting worse the longer the game stays open.

Normally I keep shadows set to low so HS/NV works decently, but I tried turning them off completely and the hitching was greatly reduced. Did a two hour session with minimal hitching/stutter.
  12. user101

Nvidia only - Shader cache writes to the hard drive (not SSD) and this causes hitching when it writes to the drive (slow drive), the only thing you can do is turn off shader cache. This will drop you about 3FPS but the hitching goes away. Happens to me on high and ultra.
    Freezes are caused by the server.... not your video card. Hitching is your video card.
    Micro hitching is was caused by the loging files ... There is about 5 types of hitching in PS2.
    Frame Drop is your router if you are being shot and frame drop (DoS) in router has to be turn it off.