[video] Flawed - a ps2 cinematic montage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by lillbabz, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Inex

I'm seeing what might be some extra bloom. Maybe some fiddling with saturation. Some of that might be a side effect of the super-slo-mo tool though.

I'm sure lillbabz will come in and correct me with "I spent 6 weeks rotoscoping every frame", but this looks pretty consistent with what my game looks like.
  2. Demigan

Holy crap. What kind of capture software are you using? I tried several but it always ends up in a crappy or semi-good quality. Also, what kind of video configuration software are you using?
  3. Octiceps

God rays, specular, DoF, and sun/particle bloom stronger/more stylized than in-game at max settings. Color correction w/shaders. Oh and winking Higby decal. ;)
  4. NCstandsforNukaCola

5. AlexR

Best PS2 video i've seen so far. Just curious, how do you record this without anything excess, i mean nothing from your own caracter like if it's just flying camera. How to remove everything? Or is it a big secret&)
  6. lillbabz

:)

yes, there are a lot of post processing. but a lot of it could be in-game if the devs wanted it. but like someone mentioned here earlier, you probably don't want the game to look like this when you play it for different reasons :p I remember all the hate on the bf3 sun rays and the cc they used for example. heh.

anyhow,

here's most of the stuff I've done to the raw footage:
    - cc rays for either enhancing or more or less adding sun/moon light in 2-3 scenes.
    - depth of field added in most scenes (which you can replicate in some manner with ADS in.game).
    - a lot of sharpness added, since I like it crisp and it adds even more contrast to the DoF.
    - added different kind of vignettes on a lot of clips (sometimes from just one side, sometimes more och less).
    - colour correction/fiddling with levels/contrast on all clips, slightly different on a lot of them, but still, no scene was left untouched.
    - lens flares on a lot of clips, some more noticable than others, heh.
    - in some clips I've added an exposure light where I want the eye to wander to, sometimes with a tone of colour to that light.
    - the particles flying around the infiltrator is all after effects and not in game.
    - and of course, the twixtor processing to compensate for the frames in the slomo, but that doesn't really change how the game actually looks; it's just that slow motion always looks sexy :p

I might have forgotten some stuff.
    • Up x 1
  7. ColonelChingles

Gotta say I like this stuff. Beats those "oh look at me kill 30 ppl in a row" videos for sure.

It does remind me a lot of WaffleVFX's work. For example, here is his video "Focus":

• Up x 1
  8. lillbabz

yeah, my buddy waffle is awesome :)
    I think we both have inspired each other through this time making videos.
  9. lillbabz

is that the little guy who liked my video where it all goes backwards? :) say hello from me =)
  10. ShoeFlip

So has SOE payed you to do advertisement yet? Or for rights to use your video as such?
  11. MotionBlured

My point was: If you think the game looks bad, you either have absurd standards for this type of game, or YOUR graphics settings are subpar.
  12. Luminiouscow

Amazing work!
  13. Meshblorg

I cry every time

So beautiful
  14. Meshblorg

My favorite part
  15. Meshblorg

Everyone in this thread should subscribe to your channel after this.

Also I'm a huge James Blake and Bear//Face fan. Song choice was PERFECTION!
  16. Killuminati C

I noticed this vid was featured on the login screen and on the forum homepage so you're getting at least some well deserved recognition from SOE I see :). I already posted on your youtube page around a week ago but this clip is so good I feel a second "well done" is in order, so kudos!
  17. Yuki10

Cool video man. What game is that?
  18. Octiceps

Yeah, definitely can't be PlanetSide 2. Looks too good.
  19. JonboyX

Looks very pretty. Phased shifts at the end were a bit jarring first time through, but I get it.

fyi - I believe this ProSieben advert went out in Germany if you wanted to compare against a real tv advert ;)