STRIKER getting buffed!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by T0x1s, Oct 7, 2014.

1. steveo

It should be good now.
  2. Ownasaurusrex

3. Thesweet

I think all shoulder launchers have to much range
  4. Xasapis

Remains to be seen. I don't really agree with the infantry damage increase, when what was needed was a much higher projectile speed increase as no.1 priority, even over the auto fire. The rate of fire increase was also a good change. The CoF change was really necessary due to the auto fire.

200 damage vs infantry was a mistake imo, which will lead to nerfs. And that is not the direction this weapon should be headed. In all honesty, this launcher has trouble hitting vehicles and Higby increases the anti-infantry capability so "it looks good on paper"? Seriously?
    • Up x 1
  5. Mahaut

Good to see some balancing does get done from time to time.

So... Phaseshift? Spiker? And the faction specific BASRs and latest subpar pistols of the uncultured blue and red guys while we are at it? Can I have toys that work too? I know infiltrators aren't nearly as numerous as heavies, but we've been waiting slightly more time too, so... Please pretty please?
    • Up x 1
  6. tahn1000

well, it seems i came back too early, since "this week" hasn't happened yet.
  7. Zotamedu

Increase damage is good but modified resistance for vehicles so it still does the same damage to them is bad. What are we trading the alpha damage for exactly? Where is the reward for the extra risk of being out in the open?
    • Up x 1
  8. Xasapis

I don't even understand the logic for the basic damage increase, beyond looking good on paper. Is Striker updated supposed to be used against MAXes now?
  9. Ztiller

The extra reward? How about having 2-3x the velocity of the ML-7 or Decimator, or the ability to automatically lock onto nearby aircraft?
  10. Xasapis

Lets be realistic, Striker current is way too slow. That should have been the priority no.1 in improvements besides the vehicle damage improvement.
    • Up x 1
  11. Zotamedu

The lock on is not a very useful feature in reality. They might as well remove it completely. Even getting within 20 meters of an aircraft reqires it to hover.

The velocity is not that big of a factor at the realistic range anyway. Have you tried using it or are you just reading of the spec sheet?
    • Up x 1
  12. Zotamedu

I don't mind the velocity actually. I would much prefer it to be more powerful but with a limited range. We don't need another Lancer in the game which seems to be what some people want. Even if you buff the velocity, it will still do poor damage and it will still have the drop to handle. Overall, I really don't think we need more long range AV stuff in the game. Just let the lock ons and the AV MANA take care of vehicles at 300 meters. Then give me a launcher that can be used at up to 150 meters.

Lets face it, AV nests hiding beyond render range is not for for anyone.
  13. Ztiller

Actually, that lockon feature makes it amazing against aircraft within 100m, giving you almost 100% accuracy. No other lockon could hit a strafing aircraft due to the lockon time, but the Striker can.

Actually, the Velocity IS a big factor. It makes a big difference when shooting at moving targets at medium range.

Yeah, i've probably used the current Striker far more than you have.
  14. Ransurian

More accuracy is good against ground vehicles, a higher rate of fire is nice overall, and a slightly larger lock-on radius is nice and all (albeit extremely negligible without a velocity buff to back it up), but the weapon's abysmal damage per rocket against vehicles and slow projectile velocity for AA duty and moving targets in general are its primary issues. These issues obviously won't be addressed with the hotfix.

Its velocity over the ML-7 or the Decimator looks substantial on paper -- and it does help against slower, larger ground vehicles at slightly longer ranges, of course -- but in and of itself, the revamped Striker's projectile velocity is still frustratingly slow against moving targets at anything beyond close range as far as connecting more than a handful of rockets in a given magazine in a real combat scenario. The extra velocity over the other dumbfires isn't nearly as useful as people on this thread are touting. Sure, the rockets are traveling two or three times faster, but "two or three times" has to be taken into its proper context as far as scaling.

This wouldn't be a problem if the Striker's damage somewhat compensated for the fact that it's difficult to hit targets consistently with most or all of the weapon's rockets per magazine, but that's not the case at all. In a realistic scenario, you're usually not going to be able to connect more than two or three rockets per magazine against most targets if you're within any practical range. Ideally, the Striker would deal significantly more damage to vehicles on a per-magazine basis as a reward to offset the inherent risk and difficulty in firing and connecting a full magazine of conventional rockets. The Lancer is exempt from this paradigm because of its obscene projectile velocity and straight, perfectly accurate flight path, which the Striker doesn't have.

It can't be stressed enough. The weapon needs more velocity and/or damage.
  15. Ransurian

"...giving you almost 100% accuracy."

Lol. Whatever you say, pal. ;)
    • Up x 2
  16. Ranik

His entire post shows that it seems like he hasn't used it at all really and is just looking at the stat sheet.

Making statements like 100% accuracy is a big enough stretch. But then claiming that It's a great at mid range where anything that doesn't lock on or have the speed/spammability of flak is way too much.

I highly doubt with this hotfix that the Striker is done with needing buffs. It will probably still need some adjustments down the line related to damage since it's probably still heavily outclassed by the Grounder. But one particular thing I'd like to see is a projectile model reduction. Since it's a skill shot weapon the projectiles kind of block your actual view for firing the next one.
    • Up x 2
  17. Hatesphere

the time it takes to land just one rocket at about 100m altitude while leading on a 250m/s (a lead of roughly 30m by my math) esf is just over .5 seconds, and thats not accounting for rocket drop (just made a basic right angle triangle amusing the shot is taken just as the ESF reaches right over the infantries head). more then enough time to evade the last 3 rockets and get out of dodge; consider in .5 seconds an ESF can realistically travel 115m away from its aggressor throwing lead times out of whack. so its not that he is just looking at the stat sheets, he has no idea how to read them.
  18. Rivenshield

And it took him and the entire development team TWO YEARS to figure this out. And rather than tweak the direct or splash damage, they CHANGED IT TO A DIFFERENT FREAKING WEAPON. After ELEVEN YEARS they do this. And now I can kill a Flash in four rockets instead of six, but there's no lockon so I can't actually HIT the bouncing swerving little bugger. Or anything else.

SOE.... you lying cheating rotten buggers. You took my Striker away and you utterly altered the shape of the battlefield for me. You made it impossible for me to warn off encroaching enemy air by pointing an empty launcher at them; you made it impossible to harass small elusive targets; you defrauded me of thousands of hours of gameplay and years of good memories.

Frig this mess and frig you and frig the whiners and frig the Good German gamer-nerds who are okay with this. I'm done with it.
  19. IrishPride

I have never really bothered with the Striker, EVER, decimator is my kind of weapon it does damage i can hit high up Libs with it I dont mind using it, sure it takes some time to get used to it but 1 shot massive damage seems to be my niche, where the Striker still doesn't seem to be group friendly, or at least make people want to organize a Striker party. Maybe good against MAXes i dont know and don't really care. The Decimator takes care of that problem anyway. So Striker or not, dont care if it was deleted from my account, I don't notice it nor do i care. :D
  20. S7rudL

The new striker gives an awesome impression, is fun to use.

Within 16 minutes I rekt 1x scythe, 1x sunderer and some partial bonus exp.

The new rate of fire and full auto, no recoil,.. it brings a smile to my face.
    Also works great at range against ground vehicles if you control burst fire.
    Each Launcher has its strength and weakness now according to the situation.

Worth of spending some time on a proper bench/comparison now,..